• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disappointing players

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am speakign abou tthose players who have the talent but have given away by throwing their wickets away, or not working that hard. Not those players who didnt get a chance or enough chances in the team. Those who did not
achieve their full potential due to their own mistakes.

Who would you consider for this list?

1. Laxman - has been guilty of throwing his wicket way too often.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan, in tests. Undeniable talent, but never took his test opportunities. Aside from him, Lehmann recently is a fair call.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bevan, in tests.
I thought Bevan struggled against bouncers in his early test career. His FC avg is 58 which means he has made runs over and over again. Should have got another chance IMO but too much of competition in the Aussie team. Now its impossible to think of Bevan's return to any form sadly :(.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Too many to mention.
Shahid Afridi springs immidiately to mind.
But there are many, many and many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Laxman - has been guilty of throwing his wicket way too often.
Only recently, though - between the Kolkata match of 2000\01 up to the recent Border-Gavaskar series he was doing everything that could reasonably be asked of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
See what I mean?
There are so many - surprised I forgot to mention McKenzie, him and Dippanaar (in Tests) are two of the most glaring ones for mine.
But all are valid and there are plenty more to come I can't help feeling.

(Of course, you know what the possibility is, don't you? tooextracool turns-up and decides some smart-aess comment on some player is wrong; I disagree, and bumpsy-daisy :lol: )

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Blackwell is one that springs to mind. He has a lot of potential as a hard-hitting batsman, as a foil for the defensive players in the batting side, and bats left-handed. However, he has a pathetic sense of timing and hardly gets bat to ball. IF he could display the same batting ability he does for Somerset, the English batting lineup could be a lot stronger.

Ashish Nehra has a lot of potential as a seam bowler and can be quite powerful in seaming conditions, as seen in the Kingsmead ODI, and can also compete on unhelpful pitches, as in Rawalpindi. However, injuries and lack of urgency have done him no good at all.

Then you have Irfan Pathan and Farveez Maharoof. Both have decent batting ability, but have under-achieved a lot more than England's bits-and-pieces brigade. If they showed a better sense of application and scored more runs, their teams would be in much better shape than they are now.

L Balaji was in very good form, which got him into the team. However, his technique was found out at higher levels- his diagonal run-in and slow pace reduced his chances of getting wickets, especially in BOWLED/LBW.

Some of the aggressive WI batsmen throw their wicket away needlessly, and don't have the best shot-selection and even the dangerous Chris Gayle has been found wanting at times. The same can be said of Yuvraj Singh, along with his struggles against slower bowlers.

By far, the biggest disappointment has to be Shane Bond. He had a meteoric rise in international cricket, particularly in ODI's, and maintained a very impressive bowling average (Tests and ODI's) and put his tearaway pace to good use unlike some fast bowlers of today, but got injured far too often.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
By far, the biggest disappointment has to be Shane Bond. He had a meteoric rise in international cricket, particularly in ODI's, and maintained a very impressive bowling average (Tests and ODI's) and put his tearaway pace to good use unlike some fast bowlers of today, but got injured far too often.
I wouldn't exactly label his injuries as his own mistakes. By attempting to utilise his potential, it caused him to succumb to injuries.

PY

International Coach
Might annoy Andre if he sees this and probably a few other people but Mark Waugh never quite made as high as I thought he could and maybe should have, not sure if that is to do with application though.

Alex Tudor is definitely one in my opinion. Graeme Hick, Ramps....the list of English ones could go on forever. :(

Sudeep

International Captain
Vinod Kambli. Two doubles and a century in his first six Tests, and still ended up playing only 17 Tests. Personally, I think he wasn't backed by the selectors. But with such a blazing start, bigger things are naturally expected of you, and Kambli failed to do that.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig McMillan, Devon Malcolm, James Anderson & Simon Jones (at present and therefore liable to change), Andrew Caddick, Darren Gough batting wise

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Only recently, though - between the Kolkata match of 2000\01 up to the recent Border-Gavaskar series he was doing everything that could reasonably be asked of him.
He used to totally throw his wicket even before the Kolkata test in the one dayers and the tests where he did get a chance as a middle order bat. Got out a LOT in the mid 30s after setting in.