• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Captain

Rich2001

International Captain
The former England opener and captain Michael Atherton today said that he feels that Mark Butcher who is now 30, should become the next England captain when current captain Nasser Hussain steps down as he has indicated over the summer.

However I feel that either of the following two would be a better choice in the long run. Marcus Trescothick who is only 26 and has the vice-captain job currently, if it wasn't to be Trescothick I personally would also back his current opening partner Michael Vaughan who is also young in cricket terms at 27.

What do the rest of you think? Who do you think should become the new captain when Nasser Hussain steps down?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Trescothick would seem to be the logical choice because other than being a thinking cricketer, he is also England's best batsman and does not have to worry about a place in the side.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
How come Corky didn't play today???
Derbyshire have rested all their key players, because they are involved in the promotion battle. I think that there are just 3 regular first-teamers involved in the game against India.

From a selfish, support-my-county point of view, I would rather Cork did not play in the last test (and I sincerely hope that he doesn't get drafted in to the ODI squad).

Scorpio will probably come back and say that Corky can't even get in the Derbyshire side now.

Rich2001

International Captain
How come Corky didn't play today???
Derbyshire have rested all their key players, because they are involved in the promotion battle. I think that there are just 3 regular first-teamers involved in the game against India.

From a selfish, support-my-county point of view, I would rather Cork did not play in the last test (and I sincerely hope that he doesn't get drafted in to the ODI squad).

Scorpio will probably come back and say that Corky can't even get in the Derbyshire side now.
That's fair enough resting key players because your in a promotion battle, but why is it that most English counties always field a 2nd X1 against the tourist?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Derbyshire team v India

S D Stubbings, D R Hewson, M P Dowman, (capt), J P Pyemont, S A Selwood, R M Khan, C J Warn, (wkt), N R C Dumelow, J I D Kerr, P Aldred, N E L Gunter,

India Team

S B Bangar, V Sehwag, S S Das, W Jaffer, V V S Laxman, A Ratra, (wkt), R Dravid, (capt), A Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, T Yohannan, A Nehra,

Can't say that's exactly a second XI.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Trescothick should be the major contestant, and for that matter should be the next english captain simply because of the fact that he has an aggresive attitude towards the game, thats what english cricket needs most now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There aren't really any stand-out candidates, with Tresco what sticks in my mind is when Nasser went off injured in the NW final, Banger was captain for a brief spell and India really got on top.

But not Butcher. Ever. Again.