• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the mystery of Reon King?

dubai194

Banned
i remember back in the late 90's he was West Indies most promising young bowler, people were comparing him to Ambrose and Walsh, but all of a sudden he disapeared from the cricketing scene, i think he last played a game in 2001. what ever happend to him, he didn't even loose his form, did they just kick him out of the team for no reason?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Reon King?

He plays as a professional for a division one club side over here in England, every time he plays my club he gets 8 wickets and we get bowled out for 36.

Xuhaib

International Coach
dubai194 said:
i remember back in the late 90's he was West Indies most promising young bowler, people were comparing him to Ambrose and Walsh, but all of a sudden he disapeared from the cricketing scene, i think he last played a game in 2001. what ever happend to him, he didn't even loose his form, did they just kick him out of the team for no reason?
Could not take wickets thats what happened.

tooextracool

International Coach
Umm Reon King played as recently as last year in the home series against SA and Pakistan. Decent bowler with some potential but certainly overrated in terms of actual performance IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pre-injury ODIs:

42 matches, 66 wickets @ 21.83
Econ: 4.01

Post-injury ODIs:

8 matches, 10 wickets @ 36.60
Econ: 4.94

Pre-injury Tests:

12 matches, 36 wickets @ 27.91
SR: 55.08

Post-injury Tests:

7 matches, 17 wickets @ 42.82
SR: 85.80

He bowled a really good line and length against South Africa last year though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Xuhaib said:
Could not take wickets thats what happened.
That's really ill-informed. Reon King was one of the best young bowlers in the world before his injury.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I remember him, along with Rose, as being the ones the English chaps went after once Walsh and Ambrose were having a breather back in 2000.

Good luck to the fellow.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
I remember him, along with Rose, as being the ones the English chaps went after once Walsh and Ambrose were having a breather back in 2000.

Good luck to the fellow.
and nixon mclean

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Yeah he played the last Test didn't he.

Still got all that "guard of honour" stuff on tape somewhere, I blubbed at the time I must admit.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
Yeah he played the last Test didn't he.

Still got all that "guard of honour" stuff on tape somewhere, I blubbed at the time I must admit.
played the last 2 if i remember correctly. certainly ended up with better figures than he deserved in the last one i must admit.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pedro Delgado said:

Good luck to the fellow.
King was carrying his injury in that series and Rose just lost all confidence. It's such a shame really, because Franklyn Rose could have been a great bowler.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
King was carrying his injury in that series and Rose just lost all confidence. It's such a shame really, because Franklyn Rose could have been a great bowler.
Never rated Rose any where near to think he had the potential to be a great bowler personally.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Never rated Rose any where near to think he had the potential to be a great bowler personally.
I've seen him bowl some spells that would definitely back my claim. Lots of bowlers take buckets of wickets in West Indies domestic cricket, but few look so impressive doing so. Rose had the talent to be great, and he produced some fantastic international spells to prove it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've seen him bowl some spells that would definitely back my claim. Lots of bowlers take buckets of wickets in West Indies domestic cricket, but few look so impressive doing so. Rose had the talent to be great, and he produced some fantastic international spells to prove it.
There is a difference between the earlier statement - because Franklyn Rose could have been a great bowler and the current one.

I would say he had the talent to be a very good bowler. Great - I wouldn't go that far. However, he wasn't a very intellegent bowler despite his talent because of which I felt he never would make a huge mark.