• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1999 World Cup Final...............scandal????

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've been sorting through loads of old VHS tapes of old films from the 90's. On one of the tapes from 1999 there is a short Channel 5 news headlines programme.
The main headline of the day centres around the 1999 World Cup Final and a suggestion that Pakistan threw the match, there is even an interview with Wasim Akram refuting the allegations. I remember little about the game other than it finishing about 2pm after a very low Pakistan total which included Inzy getting a bad decision from umpire David Shephard.
Until I saw this old news summary I had no idea that any such suggestion had been made.:surprise:

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I remember that as well. Not many people who know me in real life know this about me, but I was one of the people who actually believed those accusations. I was so disheartened that I actually boycotted all cricket from then on until 2004, when I was gradually sucked in again by the Asia Cup.

Anyway, I watched the final and I really don't think Pakistan threw it away, but just had a bad day. There were reports suggesting that most of the team had been out partying the night before celebrating their thumping 9 wicket semi-final win over New Zealand. Over confidence may have had a part in it as well.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Lillian Thomson said:
You obviously wasted your time when you should have been at school, that's life. :D
If you are commenting on my spelling errors and msn type of language, wut can I do, I have had the privelage of being on msn, unlike you, whose mom told him to get off it because of the fear of having her son kidnapped by a cyber bully.

dubai194

Banned
whats the point of this thread? who really cares the 99 world cup final sucked austraila beat the crap out of pakistan, no one cheated

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
dubai194 said:
whats the point of this thread? who really cares the 99 world cup final sucked austraila beat the crap out of pakistan, no one cheated
people care because the integrity of the game is just as important as the result. What's wrong with discussing allegations that pakistan threw it

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
people care because the integrity of the game is just as important as the result. What's wrong with discussing allegations that pakistan threw it
Just like we should discuss allegations that Mark Waugh and Shane Warne match fixed and the possibility that the Aussies may have thrown the 1994 Australia v Pakistan test at Karachi ? :D

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Salamuddin said:
Just like we should discuss allegations that Mark Waugh and Shane Warne match fixed and the possibility that the Aussies may have thrown the 1994 Australia v Pakistan test at Karachi ? :D
The man's got a point.