• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Second spinner for WC

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Who do you think will be the second New Zealand spinner in the world cup. There is daylight between Vettori and the Next spinner.
Walker, Wiseman and Sulzberger are probably main contenders

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its gotta be Vettori & Sulzberger. Walker is just not good enough as a spinner at intl level.

Outside bets might be Bruce Martin from N.D or Rob Nicol from Auckland who was outstanding last season.

anzac

International Debutant
what's wrong with Matty Hart?????

I know he's another lefty but he's averageing about 29 in ODI's.......

:)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Ive seen Sizzleburger bowl he is absolutely bad ... if the standard of offspinning is that bad , give me another 5 years...

Walker is a bit too young and inexperienced ...

Wiseman isint that great either , he doesnt mix well doesnt generate good turn etc not the man

Vettori he is the man but i think Nz can afford to play just 1 spinner and Harris supporting with his slow leggish kind of deliveries

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately for Hart..he gets a chance & plays badly first up so the selectors think "oh what a waste of time that was" and drop him.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Looks like it will be Sulzberger. He has been named in the 19 player camp for this week.

Kimbo

International Debutant
well. i think sulzberger is a good first class spin bowler as he contains really well. IMO he isnt good enough to make the step up to international cricket. If we dont have another spinner that can make it at international level then dont pick one.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think there is any problem with only having one spinner in ODI's.. The problem comes when we play tests in India, Pak etc.. These pitches turn heaps.

anzac

International Debutant
a shame about Hart....

I know he hasn't played that many ODI's but I had his stats as best figures of 5/22 @ an average of 29 runs conceeded!!!! I thought that those figures were pretty good in comparison to the other contenders, especially if he had a bad debut!!!!!

Still if no one puts their hand up from the provences V India then I'd rather take just Vettori and get Astle to share the 5th bowling option!!!!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I think thats to add to the fact that to save him from being injured maybe to get him fully utilisable for the batting , or New Zealand already can look to harris , vettori , adams , mcmillan , bond , tuffey etc so you know astle might not be needed that much , but in test he can be used i guess

Kimbo

International Debutant
I think we have needed him in our last odis (ages ago i know). We had missed players like adams, cairns and bond but astle still wasnt bowled.
i cant understand why.

anzac

International Debutant
IMO more teams need a bowler like Astle in both forms of the game - accurate line & length & no pace for the batsmen to work with & just a little movement thru the air or off the seam!!!!

IMO a bowler of this type can be the key in ODIs on the right pitch when bowled with another seamer - a bit like the old left / right batting partnership - having to constantly readjust to the lack of pace etc.

S Waugh used to do the same job and I think the Aussies should have developed either Blewett or Martyn into this role.