• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis defends with conviction

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some defensive shots are legendary, others draw matches, others you quickly forget about.

What is, a) the MOST CONVINCING defensive shot you have ever seen, and b) the most LEGENDARY defensive shot you have seen?

Fire away chaps.

And yes, this is a rip off of the six-hitting thread, however I think it needs to be recognised on at least an equal standing.

For mine, the most convincing defensive shot I've seen was in the 2003 WC, by Tendulkar. In a shot he probable never intended to hit for any runs, he timed his back defense so perfectly that that it rocketed along the ground for four through straight mid-off off Jason Gillespie's bowling.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The most convincing AND most legendary was when I left a ball that pitched on off stump and never deviated hitting the top of the stump and removing me for a well-made 17 when we were 20 short of victory with one batsman to come. The bowler never bowled again (to me).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, I doubt there are hundreds of videos on youtube with batsmen playing a forward defence :p.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For mine, the most convincing defensive shot I've seen was in the 2003 WC, by Tendulkar. In a shot he probable never intended to hit for any runs, he timed his back defense so perfectly that that it rocketed along the ground for four through straight mid-off off Jason Gillespie's bowling.
Seen a few of said, but personally I prefer it when it goes straight back up the pitch and hits the non-striker's stumps. Seen that once, by Brian Lara off Dominic Cork in 1995. Have never forgotten it - Dad said at the time "That is about as good an example of a forward-defence as you'll see".

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not a shot per se, but the most convincing leave that I saw was by Ponting against SL (I forget which game). He got on the front foot, put his bat high in the air and just stared at the ball all the way through from when it bounced to when it hit the keeper...it looked as if he was saying 'I could hit anything you throw at me if I wanted'.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I remember playing in some junior Yorkshire match, when I borrowed some kids bat, that turned out to be a £250 Maxi Original LE and opening. First ball against this rock-hard cherry, and this rapido bowler, just pushing at it, and it pinging down the ground for 4. Rather fun.

I'd say that Ganga has the nicest forward defensive shot.

open365

International Vice-Captain
It's hardly a defensive shot if it goes for 4 imo.

And those origanal LE bats are ridiculously good.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Ok, when it's done by a 14 year old(a very good 14 year old mind) it can be unintentional, but i think people who watch players like Sachin hit the ball straight they don't realise that he's so good he acctualy tried to score a boundary and that it wasn't just a defensive shot.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ah I get ya now. Usually, you can tell because someone like Sachin will move their feet forward with the stroke, rather than just standing still and blocking it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Hanif or Boycott wud own the most convincing or legendary defensive shots.

I play a very convincing defensive shot off a yorker. Nail it down with casual indifference. Better than being surprised and conceding moral victory to the bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, have always thought that, TBH. Only works if you have a low backlift.

And it is a bit risky - the harder you jam down, the less chance of the ball bursting through.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most legendary defensive play would have to have been Slasher Mackay taking the last ball of the Adelaide Test in 60-61 from Wes Hall flush in the ribs, with his bat above his head rather than offer the semblence of a chance, thereby securing a draw for Australia. He & Kline batted about 90 minutes for the last wicket on that occasion iirc.

adharcric

International Coach
Best I saw was from a teammate of mine who had previously played for Canada. Forward defense went past the bowler through mid-off and rolled all the way for four - that is very, very difficult to do on the grounds we have here, with the slow outfields and all. Has to be the best timing I've ever seen in person.