• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The history of India-Pakistan finals

Dissector

International Debutant
Today's game got me thinking about the history of India-Pakistan finals in ODI (and now TT) cricket.

IIRC the first one was the World Championship in Australia in 1985 which India won comfortably. Probably the biggest tournament with an India-Pakistan final.

Then there was a low-scoring final in Sharjah where India scored around 125 and somehow managed to bowl Pakistan out for less. Perhaps the finest low-scoring ODI game ever.

Then there was the legendary Sharjah final where Javed hit a six off the last ball. I don't think India ever beat Pakistan in a Sharjah final again.

I don't remember how many Sharjah finals Pakistan won after that: around 2 or 3 I think including the Aaqib Javed hat trick. Probably the Pakistanis here will have better memories of those games. :laugh:

Then there was a terrific final in 1998 IIRC for the Asia Cup. It was a best of 3 finals which was tied after two games. India won a superb third game chasing a huge total.

Then of course there was this game about which little needs to be said.

Any others I have missed?

funnygirl

State Regular
According to me Sharjah is not a neutral venue for India -Pakistan match .It is more like playing in Pakistan .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  • Yesterday was the 8th time India and Pakistan have played in the finals of a limited overs tournament.
  • This is only the 3rd win for India.
  • Four of Pakistan's five wins have come at Sharjah.
  • They are two all in the last ten years.
  • Yesterday was only the second really close match in this lot.
Here they are in chronological order

Code:
[B]YEAR	TOURNAMENT	Venue	Winner..	Margin[/B]
1984-85	Benson Hedges 	MCG	India....	8 wkts
1985-86	Australasia Cup	Sharjah	Pakistan	1 wkt
1991-92	Wills Trophy	Sharjah	Pakistan	72 runs
1993-94	Australasia Cup	Sharjah	Pakistan	39 runs
1997-98	S. Jubilee Cup	Dhaka	India....	2 to 1
1998-99	Pepsi Cup	B'lore	Pakistan	123 runs
1998-99	Coca Cola Cup	Sharjah	Pakistan	8 wkts
2007	T20 World Cup	Jo'burg	India....	5 runs
The final in Dhaka was a three match affair, India won it two matches to one.

Dissector

International Debutant
Thanks for the list, SJS. The two finals from 1998-99 have completely slipped my memory. Also I take it that the classic low-scoring game in 1985 wasn't a final.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the list, SJS. The two finals from 1998-99 have completely slipped my memory. Also I take it that the classic low-scoring game in 1985 wasn't a final.
Did I miss that ? Oh oh. Sorry

Edit : Checked. This is the complete list.