• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist named Australia's greatest ever ODI player

gavinrose

Cricket Spectator
On his 36th birthday (today), Adam Gilchrist was today named Australia's greatest ever one-day international cricketer.

Gilchrist was given the honour by his peers, with all 163 players to have represented Australia in ODIs invited to vote.

Article

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
There have been better ODI players for Australia in the past and there are a couple in the current team who I'd rate higher. Odd decision.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic honour for a fantastic player.

Good call imo, he has certainly been one of the key players in the Aussie lineup for a very long time and has been brilliant with the bat and the gloves.

burr

State Vice-Captain
:-O This amazes me, I'd be actually less surprised if he was named Australia's greatest ever test player, at least in that game he revolutionized the wicket-keeper position. In ODIs big hitters and fast scorers are a dime a dozen and as an opener I'd suggest his record could be a hell of a lot better. Also until that world cup final his record in the only one-dayers that really count, i.e. the world cups, was hardly scintillating.

sideshowtim

Banned
Fair call for mine. Easily the greatest ODI wicketkeeper in history, and arguably the best ODI opener ever. You can argue against him because of his statistics or whatever, but the fact is, Adam Gilchrist scares teams like no other player scares them. What he does goes beyond simple statistics. If he's been out there for more than 70 balls, chances are you've already lost the game. A player who can simply take the game away from you so quickly, and perform right when it matters. Truly a magnificent player, and I think he's entirely deserving of such a high honour.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about the decision but the votes were pretty convincing. What a team though!

Gilchrist, Mark Waugh, Ponting, Jones, Steve Waugh, Bevan, Symonds, Warne, Lee, Lillee, McGrath

sideshowtim

Banned
Not sure about the decision but the votes were pretty convincing. What a team though!

Gilchrist, Mark Waugh, Ponting, Jones, Steve Waugh, Bevan, Symonds, Warne, Lee, Lillee, McGrath
I don't think there's such thing as an 'unbeatable' side. But boy does that one go close!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

That is a truly great side. Symonds at 7 in a one day side - it's almost laughable.

On Gilly. A lot of the guys who have played won't look at raw stats though. They'll see that the bloke kept and opened (traditionally seen as a big ask), was explosive, won games off his own bat and that when he scores runs Australia inevitably wins.

Lastly, and we've been through this in an earlier thread, check out his records in big ODIs, like the last 3 WC finals: 3 scores of over 50, including one which was one of the great ODI knocks of all time.

Not sure myself if he is the greatest Aussie ODI player, but imo he certainly belongs in the argument.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
Fair call for mine. Easily the greatest ODI wicketkeeper in history, and arguably the best ODI opener ever. You can argue against him because of his statistics or whatever, but the fact is, Adam Gilchrist scares teams like no other player scares them. What he does goes beyond simple statistics. If he's been out there for more than 70 balls, chances are you've already lost the game. A player who can simply take the game away from you so quickly, and perform right when it matters. Truly a magnificent player, and I think he's entirely deserving of such a high honour.
The same could be said for Symonds and Symonds standard of fielding adds a lot more to the team that Gilchrist's wicket-keeping. Plus he bowls. It's so weird to think that Symonds could be Australia's greatest ever ODI payer after being so useless for so long but the way he's turned around his game has been amazing. That innings against Pakistan in the 03 WC will live long in the memory as one of the most extraordinary individual performances. Symonds has a world cup average of 103 from 18 matches. Gilchrist has an average of 36 ish from 31 matches. He's scored one century in that time - in the final. As an opener I don't think that's good enough.

sideshowtim

Banned
The same could be said for Symonds and Symonds standard of fielding adds a lot more to the team that Gilchrist's wicket-keeping. Plus he bowls. It's so weird to think that Symonds could be Australia's greatest ever ODI payer after being so useless for so long but the way he's turned around his game has been amazing. That innings against Pakistan in the 03 WC will live long in the memory as one of the most extraordinary individual performances. Symonds has a world cup average of 103 from 18 matches. Gilchrist has an average of 36 ish from 31 matches. He's scored one century in that time - in the final. As an opener I don't think that's good enough.
You're trying to measure his worth in pure statistics, which I think is kinda ridiculous. That said, an average of 36 from 31 matches at the rate he scores them is hardly anything to be ashamed of.

Laurrz

International Debutant
fully deserved.. no arguments here... the players overwhelmingly went for Gilly so that in itself tells a story

congrats gilly :D a true crowd puller

burr

State Vice-Captain
You're trying to measure his worth in pure statistics, which I think is kinda ridiculous. That said, an average of 36 from 31 matches at the rate he scores them is hardly anything to be ashamed of.
No I'm not, I was just pointing out what I found to be interesting stats, not suggesting they summed the entire story up. I'm surprised by the choice but I certainly don't begrudge him his title and can see that he has an aura that very few other players have. I do however feel that Gilly has tended to under-perform on the one-day stage and his true wroth is in test cricket. And I do think that by the end of Symond’s career many will judge him as Australia's greatest ever OD cricketer.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am one of those who agrees with the choice. Moreover, not having Bevan in the top three Australian all time odi' players gives me some satisfaction. I have had quite a few debates on the merits of calling Bevan the greatest ODI player of all time purely on the basis of his average in that format. Its gratifying to see that a jury consisting of all Australians ever to play in odi's agrees so emphatically.

Shows that at least those who play the game are not swayed by pure statistics and thank God for that.

Laurrz

International Debutant
i wonder if they took into consideration that Gilly has hit 54, 54 and 149 in WC finals.. pretty good feat

sideshowtim

Banned
I am one of those who agrees with the choice. Moreover, not having Bevan in the top three Australian all time odi' players gives me some satisfaction. I have had quite a few debates on the merits of calling Bevan the greatest ODI player of all time purely on the basis of his average in that format. Its gratifying to see that a jury consisting of all Australians ever to play in odi's agrees so emphatically.

Shows that at least those who play the game are not swayed by pure statistics and thank God for that.
Yeah, agree. I have immense respect for Bevan as a player, and indeed think he should be named in our Best ODI XI of all time, but he quite simply didn't scare the opposition the way Gilly did. He couldn't win you a match the way Gilly did. When it came to knocking around 1s and 2s at the end of the innings, there was no finer. However, this didn't scare teams...I doubt many captains woud've been too concerned about it honestly. It doesn't win you matches.

Craig

World Traveller
I think Tendulkar in his prime could push or have a justifyable have a claim as the greatest ODI opener. I mean his record is truely something.