• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICL Vs IPL, Who Will Win??

SuuniManz!!

Cricket Spectator
I love the idea of the ICL and the legendary players but surely the IPL will just overpower them sooner or later.

IPL will have the best players in the world on their side, cricket boards from the countries entering the Champions league and most domestic indian players.

1 thing that the ICL will have in their favour is that the indian fans love 20/20 but i can only see it playing second fiddle to the IPL.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
With nearly empty stands (last two days) and virtually no TV advertising , ICL is clearly in a poor shape financially as we speak. I cant see how enthusiasm for this is going to pick up in the near future.

No advertisements was a massive shock.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they can't both exist forever realistically, sooner or later sumfings gotta give
Why can they not both exist? It is not likely, but it is possible.

The ICL is meant to be an opposition to the BCCI with its experienced coaches, psychologists and well trained trainers and far better administration. However, in the event that the ICL does not overtake the BCCI in terms of revenue by about five years when the unlimited over tournament, 50 over tournament and T20 tournament will all be in play, I can see the ICL accepting a small but efficient presence within domestic cricket as a haven for underappriciated domestic cricketers, upset international cricketers and retired ones - much like it is now.

For those who believe that the ICL will go down easily, you must think in the long term. Brian Lara and Inzamam Ul Haq will soon no longer be players but may well be recruiters (for lack of a better word) and they could pull in a lot of talent from both the West Indies and Pakistan; both with terrible domestic systems. To a far lesser extent, Harris, Astle and McMillan may have the same effect in New Zealand.

And all this is not mentioning how poorly domestic cricketers in India are treated. I am sure that many will join in the next few years under the realisation that the ICL has begun (I believe many doubted that it would get off the ground and actually happe), is not a poor competition, and won't go down without a fight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With nearly empty stands (last two days) and virtually no TV advertising , ICL is clearly in a poor shape financially as we speak. I cant see how enthusiasm for this is going to pick up in the near future.

No advertisements was a massive shock.
Don't forget that the initial games of the Packer Schism had similar outcomes. We wait to see if some Indian politician or other decides a good turn for Chandra is in his interests (or, indeed, if he could do anything if he tried) as Neville Wran did for Packer.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't forget that the initial games of the Packer Schism had similar outcomes. We wait to see if some Indian politician or other decides a good turn for Chandra is in his interests (or, indeed, if he could do anything if he tried) as Neville Wran did for Packer.
Just wanted to add that this is very possible because the BCCI is strictly a private organisation with their team 'India' being Team BCCI in all but name...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, but that's always been the case. An "international" team is actually reprisentative of the cricket board who employ the selectors to pick it. This has been true ever since cricket sides were first picked by selectors (which, for me, should be the first games that are classed as Tests).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, yeah, but that's always been the case. An "international" team is actually reprisentative of the cricket board who employ the selectors to pick it. This has been true ever since cricket sides were first picked by selectors (which, for me, should be the first games that are classed as Tests).
That I did not know. Thanks for the info.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neville Wran did less for Packer than the dross being served up by the establishment.

Public's not dumb, they realised who the better cricketers were

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Above being said, BCCI will win as there is insufficient reason to change
Trust me on this one, by year three, I feel that the ICL will have plenty of players for the 16 team model; domestic cricketers in India are highly neglected.

I highly recommend you check my last two blog entries for more information about the issue.

social

Trust me on this one, by year three, I feel that the ICL will have plenty of players for the 16 team model; domestic cricketers in India are highly neglected.

I highly recommend you check my last two blog entries for more information about the issue.
The biggest problem with your analysis is that you are assuming that the backers of ICL are a philanthropic organisation devoted to the wellbeing of Indian cricket.

They are not, they are a broadcasting enterprise that have succeeded in earning the ire of the world's wealthiest cricket board.

If ratings/subscribers dont work in year 1, then forget about year 3

This is not a billionaire (Packer) competing against an arrogant, complacent establishment who were yet to reap the rewards of broadcasting rights

The establishment, as much as i love Lara and others, has responded with significant firepower and is on the verge of a knockout

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neville Wran did less for Packer than the dross being served up by the establishment.

Public's not dumb, they realised who the better cricketers were
Not true, the way Gideon Haigh puts it there's a substantial chance that without Wran and his helping-hand into the cricket grounds WSC would have crashed and burned.

Realising who the better cricketers were would not take a year.

SuuniManz!!

Cricket Spectator
Why can they not both exist? It is not likely, but it is possible.

The ICL is meant to be an opposition to the BCCI with its experienced coaches, psychologists and well trained trainers and far better administration. However, in the event that the ICL does not overtake the BCCI in terms of revenue by about five years when the unlimited over tournament, 50 over tournament and T20 tournament will all be in play, I can see the ICL accepting a small but efficient presence within domestic cricket as a haven for underappriciated domestic cricketers, upset international cricketers and retired ones - much like it is now.

For those who believe that the ICL will go down easily, you must think in the long term. Brian Lara and Inzamam Ul Haq will soon no longer be players but may well be recruiters (for lack of a better word) and they could pull in a lot of talent from both the West Indies and Pakistan; both with terrible domestic systems. To a far lesser extent, Harris, Astle and McMillan may have the same effect in New Zealand.

And all this is not mentioning how poorly domestic cricketers in India are treated. I am sure that many will join in the next few years under the realisation that the ICL has begun (I believe many doubted that it would get off the ground and actually happe), is not a poor competition, and won't go down without a fight.
The ICL doesn't have he recognition to touch the BCCI. The ICL have been reduced to retired players, fringe internations and fringe domestic players. R u telling me that the Indian fans would rather watch these or watch the likes of Ponting, Gibbs, Warne etc.

The BCCI has the power to make sure the ICL never grow bigger than the IPL as they have done wuth stances such as saying no BCCI contracted player can play in the ICL and also the BCCI now has plans for the Champions lge which will get gr8 attendances in India.

I do love the idea that someone else is trying to promote cricket and take on the national cricket board but the BCCI has the authority to never let anyone who plays for the ICL to play for India again. The only way this will change is if say, Dhoni or Yuvraj decide to join the ICL, then the BCCI will either have to stick to it's words and not let them play for India which would lead to them being heavily scrutinised by the Indian public but is it really worth it fro Dhoni or Yuvraj to put their international future in doubt to play in the ICL??

One suggestion i have to promote the ICL is maybe try and link up with Allen Stanford and have the two finalists from the Stanford 20/20 playing the 2 finalists from the ICL in an event similar to the champions league but even then, 2 torunaments run by groups/people without international recognition would still never be able to compete with the a tournament featuring arguably the 8 best twenty20 teams in the world.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The biggest problem with your analysis is that you are assuming that the backers of ICL are a philanthropic organisation devoted to the wellbeing of Indian cricket.

They are not, they are a broadcasting enterprise that have succeeded in earning the ire of the world's wealthiest cricket board.
I am in the belief that although Essel Group could care less about the state of Indian cricket, the executive board, especially Kapil Dev are philanthropic in their methods.

social

Not true, the way Gideon Haigh puts it there's a substantial chance that without Wran and his helping-hand into the cricket grounds WSC would have crashed and burned.

Realising who the better cricketers were would not take a year.
And it was because Packer had more money than the Boards

The reverse is true now