• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battles of 2007!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, top idea Jamee.

Too many involving England though. Almost half. :p

Edit: Oh, and Asif's 5/76 > Ntini's 6/59.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Almost 40% of the Tests involved England this year...

It was something I meant to do last year, itbt, but I forgot :p

cricman

International 12th Man
His doubles vs BD < Sanga's 192 vs Aus, plus if Rudy had his glasses on it would have been some 200*

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From the original list these are the ones that fit my loose criteria.

For International performance of the year, it must be in a game won, against decent (or above) opposition and where the performance is a shining light where others struggled.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
From the original list these are the ones that fit my loose criteria.

For International performance of the year, it must be in a game won, against decent (or above) opposition and where the performance is a shining light where others struggled.
Totally agree with your criteria.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Agree with the quality of opposition but not with the idea that you had to be on the winning side.
Chanderpaul vs England for example.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with the quality of opposition but not with the idea that you had to be on the winning side.
Chanderpaul vs England for example.
That was no doubt a fine performance. But if we are talking about the top performance of the year it has to have come when leading your team to victory.

"We play to win the games"

A great performance that sets up victory will always be far more valuable than a great performance in a losing effort.

JBH001

International Regular
I thnk that criteria is too one-sided and too deterministic.

There are a number of great performances that do not lead to victory, and not due to lack of effort from the stellar performer but merely due to the fact that cricket is a team game.

Its very rare for one performance to be solely responsible for a victory.

In any case, cricket does also have a tradition of honouring great performances in defeat and draw (and this should also be recognised in setting up awards for battles of this nature).

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A great performance that sets up victory will always be far more valuable than a great performance in a losing effort.
For sure, but a great solo performance throughout a whole Test series is very impressive. It does come down to specifics though, who the opposition where, who else contributed to victory etc. I do think Chanderpaul's efforts will be hard to beat though

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Just noticed this one. Is that the only part of the match you actually watched causing you to ignore Inzamam and Asif's performances in the match?

Oh and completely disagree with Goughy on the subject of including performances from winning teams only. If Chanders' effort in England can't be included then I want no part of this battle.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Format will be:

ROUND ONE
6 4-way battles (+ maybe one with 5)
Winner goes through

SEMI-FINAL
2 3-way battles
Winner goes through

FINAL
1 battle