• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Dilley

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I was just watching highlights of the 3rd Test of the 1981 Ashes where England pulled off a magnificent victory after following on at Leeds. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever noticed Graham Dilley's awkward action when bowling, but how the hell did he bowl so fast after almost completely stopping before delivering the damn ball! He had to have the strangest action in cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah never got his action at all TBH.

Was very possibly one reason why he never achieved anything like what he was perceived to have in him. Would be especially interested to hear Kev's analysis of him, if such a thing were doable.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Reading on cricinfo that his career was plagued with injuries. Still just amazes me how fast and good he was, however short the period, with such an action.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive been searching for a photo I have (cant find it online either) of Dilley in delivery.

IIRC, his left leg is straight and his left foot was close to being above his head.

Its a very strange action and pretty ugly.

He carried very little momentum through the crease but he leant back so far and got his left leg so high that there was a massive transfer of weight. Thats where the pace came from.

The physical strain of slamming the left side of the body down from such an unusual height and the effort required obviously contributed to the injuries.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
A little bit, but I think Tait has improved his action.

Dilley was a big factor in England winning the Ashes in 1986-7

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone share the view that Shaun Tait, early in his career, bore a marked resemblance to Dilley?
I didn't think so. Tait's action isn't much different to how it was and his injuries have largely been due to the enormous strain put on his shoulder by his action. Graham Dilley's action is seemingly all lower-back and the twisting of his back at the point where he's bringing his arm over to bowl always makes me wince with pain.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was just watching highlights of the 3rd Test of the 1981 Ashes where England pulled off a magnificent victory after following on at Leeds. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever noticed Graham Dilley's awkward action when bowling, but how the hell did he bowl so fast after almost completely stopping before delivering the damn ball! He had to have the strangest action in cricket.
When you watch Dilley bowl actually at the ground from side-on his arm action is completely smooth. The apparent pause at the top of his delivery is not there at all. The late Fred Trueman commented on it during a TMS phone-in in the early 80's when a listener asked for Fred's opinion on the Dilley action.

neville cardus

International Debutant
When you watch Dilley bowl actually at the ground from side-on his arm action is completely smooth. The apparent pause at the top of his delivery is not there at all. The late Fred Trueman commented on it during a TMS phone-in in the early 80's when a listener asked for Fred's opinion on the Dilley action.
When you watched him bowl from the batsman's perspective, however, he was an altogether more befuddling proposition. I spoke recently to someone who had the pleasure of cracking him through the covers a few times and learnt that, early on in one's innings, it was neigh-impossible to tell when the ball was going to come.

The greatest similarity that I discern between his action and Tait's from, say, 2005 is the amount of momentum that both lose through the crease. Tait's follow-through, for one firing them down at such velocity, was painfully non-existent, and Dilley was scarcely any better.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dilley was a big factor in England winning the Ashes in 1986-7
Yup. He had a wierd test career actually - made a reasonable start against Aus & WI from 1979 to mid-1981, but was dropped after Headingley 1981 as he was bang out of form. Thereafter, we barely saw him until 1986, despite losing a batch of quicks to Boycott's SA tour and England calling up all sorts of no-hopers. I don't know whether that was due to injury or ongoing lack of form.

Then, as you say, he made a good return to the side and we all wondered where the heck he'd been. IIRC he fell out of favour after some onfield dissent, maybe in NZ, in 1988 and as he was no longer an automatic choice he signed up for Gatting's SA jolly in 1989.

It was very much a case of what might have been. His test record was way better than most of his English contemporaries, but ultimately there wasn't much to show for it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Slight resemblance to Tait if it can even be called that.
Tait, IMO, has greater control, keeping arm close to body and side-on delivery.
Dilley's arm is further away and just not timed rhythmically with the rest of his body.

Breaking down was just a matter of time

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup. He had a wierd test career actually - made a reasonable start against Aus & WI from 1979 to mid-1981, but was dropped after Headingley 1981 as he was bang out of form. Thereafter, we barely saw him until 1986, despite losing a batch of quicks to Boycott's SA tour and England calling up all sorts of no-hopers. I don't know whether that was due to injury or ongoing lack of form.

Then, as you say, he made a good return to the side and we all wondered where the heck he'd been. IIRC he fell out of favour after some onfield dissent, maybe in NZ, in 1988 and as he was no longer an automatic choice he signed up for Gatting's SA jolly in 1989.

It was very much a case of what might have been. His test record was way better than most of his English contemporaries, but ultimately there wasn't much to show for it.
Completely changed his run-up to a long, curved Marshall-esque variety in an attempt to get more side on at crease and closer to stumps at point of delivery

Prior to that he had crude early Imran type action being massively open-chested

Could be very quick and bowled genuine outswing but had some attitude (both on and off field) and injury problems

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By wielding his willow rather than sending down the leather.

In fairness - I had no objections when Robert Croft was dropped after saving the Old Trafford Test in 1998 with 37*, as he had not taken a Test wicket all summer. Equally, I had huge objections to Gareth Batty and Kumara Dharmasena remaining in their Test sides in 2003\04 due to their reasonable lower-order batting thus keeping them ahead of several superior spin-bowlers (ironically, Croft being one). There are many more analogous examples.

Bowlers whose batting is no more than a bonus should never remain in the side purely due to making a large victory contribution with the bat, for mine. With genuine batters like Pollock or Klusener, the matter would be somewhat different.

neville cardus

International Debutant
According to Beefy, however, Graham Dilley was batting more like Graeme Pollock that day. Surely anyone playing a significant role in one of the greatest upsets of all-time deserves some recompense? As it is, Dilley was soon battling it out for his county's second eleven.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
According to Beefy, however, Graham Dilley was batting more like Graeme Pollock that day. Surely anyone playing a significant role in one of the greatest upsets of all-time deserves some recompense? As it is, Dilley was soon battling it out for his county's second eleven.
I remember reading somewhere (possibly "500 to 1") that Dilley's confidence with the ball was so shot that he was happy to make way. That's all very well so long as there's some quality out there to replace him with. Instead, we saw Paul Allott in the side later that summer and 12 - 18 months later, with Lever, Hendrick & Old all banned, the likes of Pringle, Ian Greig, Jackman and Cowans were all being tried.

For me, the decision to drop him was typical of England's selctions of the time. Never mind that he'd come in as a 20 year old and held his own in Australia and against WI. He'd subsequently had a couple of poor games, so he had to go, irrespective of whether there was anyone any good available to replace him. And rather than get someone alongside him to sort out any issues, he was just hung out to dry, afaics.

The other aspect that Bedser ignored was the psychology of the situation - both Dilley's and the Aus side that had been on the worng end of that game. Not so much that I take Beefy's comments seriously - to compare him to Pollock was pure bull, tbh - but Headingley would have left would have left both sides believing that England could win in almost any circumstances that summer, so there should have to be some insurmountable reasons to remove one of the key protagonists. Especially as he had previously shown himself capable of performing at this level and just needed a bit of confidence from somewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And yet of course, the fact that England won said series means all was totally justified. :dry: