• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Free-hits in Tests?

Should there be a free-hit rule for no-balls in Tests?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • Michael Slater is a goose

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Michael Slater brought it up today in the post tea session when Brett Lee bowled a no-ball and he mentioned it along the lines of how there is a free-hit for no balls in ODIs and T20 and maybe it should be considered. Bill Lawry disagreed and said maybe something like four runs for a no-ball to stop bowlers from bowling no-balls. Personally they are a sin for a bowler and really shouldn't be bowled by any Test bowler worth his salt.

But I wouldn't go for either one.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We see enough wickets falling to noballs. The current system works fine enough as a deterrent.

Matt79

Global Moderator
****ing stupid idea. We have 20/20 and ODIs to screw around with 'entertaining' gimics. Test cricket should be changed as little as possible.

I haven't noticed no-balls being a major problem, or the lack of dumbass wanks for ignorant fools to gawk at, ruining the cricket in recent times, so I'd have to vote against it, and say that Slats was just running low on things to contribute.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Personally they are a sin for a bowler and really shouldn't be bowled by any Test bowler worth his salt. .

Lol really ****s me to hear people say this or things along those lines, I hear it so often around my grade club and in cricket circles and invariably the guy who says it is not a bowler (atleast not one of any quality). "I've never bowled a no-ball in my career and no bowler should ever overstep"...thats because you're 20 stone and you bowl off 3 paces.
If you are accelerating through the crease correctly and really following through with energy, building up momentum through your run-up, then you will occasionally bowl no balls, its a fact of life, dosent mean you're a useless muppet or a failure as a bowler or that you arent putting the work in.
Some people have a bigger problem than others but all quick bowlers who are doing their thing correctly will bowl no-balls, hell Wasim Akram had a bigger no-ball problem than most club bowlers.

It is annoying and something which one should strive to avoid, and when it gets over the top it can become a real problem and throw rythym out completely, but it happens.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol really ****s me to hear people say this or things along those lines, I hear it so often around my grade club and in cricket circles and invariably the guy who says it is not a bowler (atleast not one of any quality). "I've never bowled a no-ball in my career and no bowler should ever overstep"...thats because you're 20 stone and you bowl off 3 paces.
If you are accelerating through the crease correctly and really following through with energy, building up momentum through your run-up, then you will occasionally bowl no balls, its a fact of life, dosent mean you're a useless muppet or a failure as a bowler or that you arent putting the work in.
Some people have a bigger problem than others but all quick bowlers who are doing their thing correctly will bowl no-balls, hell Wasim Akram had a bigger no-ball problem than most club bowlers.

It is annoying and something which one should strive to avoid, and when it gets over the top it can become a real problem and throw rythym out completely, but it happens.
I could not agree more. A fast bowler strives to run, jump and stretch toward the batsman and occasionally, you'll just go that extra bit more. And it is annoying, because when you go that extra bit more, the ball just feels like it has come out better and faster and more often than not, it is a play and miss or a wicket...

'Tis a hard life:laugh:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All of them are gooses in the commentary box, but Slater's up there at the top, like Tubby adds nothing to cricket commentary.

This further goes to show it.

I'm not exactly sure what the back foot no ball rule was, but I've got no problem with the law as it currently is. Perhaps two runs for a no ball, but nothing other than that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Spinners bowling no-balls is unacceptible, yet far, far too many spinners still bowl 'em.

There have always been the odd few seam-bowlers who've decided "I won't bowl no-balls" and never have. Michael Holding (off all 29 paces of his run-up), Ian Botham and Andre Nel are three examples. If these people can do it, anyone else can. The problem is that it's a problem virtually no seamers take seriously enough. Wasim Akram being the classic example.

In any case, the whole idea of the old no-ball rule was to give the batsman a free-hit. I'd not be in favour of the radical one-day free-hit rule, but I've come-up with a theorem of my own regarding how it'd be possible to do in the longer form.

EDIT: surprised at you Craig, you're normally so good with this public-polls lark!!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not 100% sure, but think I remember one test match where Nel bowled about 6 no balls in the space of half an hour.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't mind the wistful thinking of the old rule, because it would have been helpful to get that slightly earlier call of "no-ball" so that you can load up. That's where the suggestion came from, more off the cuff than anything. Anyways, against it, but I'd like to see maybe the back foot no-ball rule implemented in a Twenty20 domestic competition for a bit and see what the response is like.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not 100% sure, but think I remember one test match where Nel bowled about 6 no balls in the space of half an hour.
Yeah, me too, that was when he was bowling abnormally.

With foot in normal position, he never oversteps or comes close.