• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolish Leg-Byes?

should leg byes not count towards a teams score? i.e no runs at all

• yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • maybe, needs a trial run first before in test matchs

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • no

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • most Ridicules thing I have ever heard, stick with Tradition

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
leg Byes should runs be counted?

Damian fleeming on ABC radio was mentioning that he would lije to make leg byes not count for any runs because batsmen are being rewarded for making a mistake, which i feel actualo has some merrit, it would make socring easier

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Leave leg byes as they are. They are a part of the game. There is also no problem with them. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh I just think of it as part of the game, whether the batsman hits it or not they still have to run between the stumps, leave it as it is.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given the spelling, I assumed the last option to be the irrelevant 4th option and so voted for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Damian fleeming on ABC radio was mentioning that he would lije to make leg byes not count for any runs because batsmen are being rewarded for making a mistake, which i feel actualo has some merrit, it would make socring easier
Batsmen aren't rewarded though, as they don't get any runs to their name. The bowling team is punished for bowling on the batsman's pads, as that's how it should be.

Stapel

International Regular
Batsmen aren't rewarded though, as they don't get any runs to their name. The bowling team is punished for bowling on the batsman's pads, as that's how it should be.
That's what I was thinking too. Especially when leg byes come from other parts than legs. A ball nudging a helmet and flying on for four, is a nice way to 'punish' a bowler :) .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except when it happens to go straight to a fielder...

TBH, the leg-bye rule is as good currently as it's ever going to be, IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Damien Fleming in his commentary yesterday raised the issue of why does a team get runs for a leg-bye? Unlike every other kind of extra, that penalises the fielding team for an error, it is in fact rewarding the batsman for an error, and the current leg-bye rule is in fact contradicting its own spirit, as you don't get a run if you don't attempt a shot - to discourage pad-play, but if you try a shot and fluff it, you can still get a run.

There's an argument that not counting the run is 'disruptive' but its a disruption that already happens given the umpire will disallow a run if it was judged there was no shot offered.

I'm not saying the batsman should be penalised for getting hit on the pads (unless he's LBW obviously), but neither should he get rewarded. A basic principle that for it to be runs, it needs to have hit the bat seems a sensible one to me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am not sure if this needs changing. Matt79's point is well made though, and I can certainly see the other side.

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
Damien Fleming in his commentary yesterday raised the issue of why does a team get runs for a leg-bye? Unlike every other kind of extra, that penalises the fielding team for an error, it is in fact rewarding the batsman for an error, and the current leg-bye rule is in fact contradicting its own spirit, as you don't get a run if you don't attempt a shot - to discourage pad-play, but if you try a shot and fluff it, you can still get a run.

There's an argument that not counting the run is 'disruptive' but its a disruption that already happens given the umpire will disallow a run if it was judged there was no shot offered.

I'm not saying the batsman should be penalised for getting hit on the pads (unless he's LBW obviously), but neither should he get rewarded. A basic principle that for it to be runs, it needs to have hit the bat seems a sensible one to me.
total agree there is nothing worse than beating a batsmen, hiting them on the pad and then they run a leg bye which disrupts all your efforts in getting a batsmen out

what if for example a spin bowler hits the batsmen on the pads when the batsmen is sweeping and the bowler just misses out on LBW and the batsmen is able to run a leg bye because the ball has deflected of the pad to fine leg for example.

the batsmen has missed the ball, making a mistake and they get a run for it