• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best captain for each team

cover drive man

International Captain
England-WG Grace (Intimidating to anyone)
Aus-Teve Waugh (Probably the second best Aussie test batter in history and someone to motivate a team.)
Pakistan-Imran Khan (Would do anything to win)
India-Gavasker (Was a toss up between him and Tendulkar)
South Africa-Shaun pollock (Possibly the best in his family)
New Zealand (Most capped captain must be doing something right :laugh:)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Tendulkar was a very poor captain.

Anyways...

England - Ray Illingworth
Australia - Alan Border
India - Sunil Gavaskar
South Africa - Hanse Cronje (controversial, but was a beyond brilliant captain when not fixing games)
West Indies - Frank Worrell
Pakistan - Imran Khan
Sri Lanka - Arjuna Ranatunga
New Zealand - Martin Crowe (a mile ahead of Stephen Fleming)

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
Couldnt be stuffed thinking of a best for each country but I think Mark Taylor was the best Australian captain.

Border moulded the players, Taylor made them world champions.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England-WG Grace (Intimidating to anyone)
Aus-Teve Waugh (Probably the second best Aussie test batter in history and someone to motivate a team.)
Pakistan-Imran Khan (Would do anything to win)
South Africa-Shaun pollock (Possibly the best in his family)
New Zealand (Most capped captain must be doing something right :laugh:)
Pollock’s captaincy was purely play by numbers, hardly a remote sense of imagination or indeed a cunning killer instinct. Cronje regardless of his chequered history is infinitely South Africa’s greatest captain since readmission and if not Cronje, then Graeme Smith has a greater argument than Pollock.

Only positive Pollock would have is that his is well respected man and loved by his team-mates, which is precisely the reason why he hasn’t been dropped entirely from South Africa’s test squads, even though his chances of playing again are increasingly small and getting smaller by the day.

Also as Francis said, Sachin was an extremely poor captain.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
England - Ray Illingworth
Australia - Alan Border
I wanted to expand on this because Australian captains is sort of a favourite subject of mine. The thing that intrigues me about Australian cricket is that it's success was often born out of failure. Which is why Ian Chappel nearly beat Alan Border for my pick here.

When Ian Chappel took over the Australian captaincy, he wasn't inheriting a great side. Bill Lawry had left him a floundering side (of course the recent injection of Lillee, Marsh and G. Chappel helped). But Bill Lawry was taken to the cleaners because he complained to selecters about the treatment of players, especially during an overseas tour to India.

When Ian Chappel was told he was now captain he said, "The b*stards will never get me." In other words, he refused to be used as a scapegoat similar to Lawry. The result of which was a highly diciplined, motivated, intimidating side. I'm not talking bad sportsmanship, I'm talking about hard confrontational cricket, that's carried on through today (although today the Aussies really are bad sports).

Too many people think Alan Border injected hardness into the Aussies. Rather, as Martin Crowe once said (the Kiwi captain greater than Fleming), Border was the last remnant of a 70s side that had evaporated. When the amazing trio of Lillee, Marsh and Chappell vanquished, Border was left carrying the bag. He didn't carry it well as first and morphed into Captain Grumpy.

Border was my pick because much of the success of Australian cricket today is courtesy of him. Dean Jones had said it, without Allan Border Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor would have been nothing. Jones said it best when he said Border he took the baggy green cap, dusted it off, and said to the young ones, "Be proud. This is what it means." Border got that off Chappel. But Border kept it alive, instilled it in his side, made them more hungry and more diciplined. He made them winner.

It is not a coincidence that the best Aussie players of the 90s came from the school of Border.

Border's my favourite cricket story because he once got chewed and spit up. Then he changed and became hard as nails. A lot of Australia's supremacy is due to Alan Border.

cover drive man

International Captain
Pollock’s captaincy was purely play by numbers, hardly a remote sense of imagination or indeed a cunning killer instinct. Cronje regardless of his chequered history is infinitely South Africa’s greatest captain since readmission and if not Cronje, then Graeme Smith has a greater argument than Pollock.

Only positive Pollock would have is that his is well respected man and loved by his team-mates, which is precisely the reason why he hasn’t been dropped entirely from South Africa’s test squads, even though his chances of playing again are increasingly small and getting smaller by the day.

Yeah he wasn't the best with tactics but he was well respected and a good player as well as a role model.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

He could also have the fact that he is South Africas most successful captain and one of the most sucessful captains in the history of the game.

Better record than the man before him and the man after him. That must count for something

Anyway, for England. This is turning out to be my Hutton appreciation week.

England- Len Hutton. Englands first Pro captain. Took the Ashes in Australia and loved the quicks

Last edited:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
from players I've watched:

England- Vaughn
Aus- Steve Waugh
Pakistan-Wasim Akram
India- Ganguly
South Africa- Cronje
New Zealand - Fleming
SL - Ranatunga
WI - Gayle

ozone

First Class Debutant
from players I've watched:

England- Vaughn
Aus- Steve Waugh
Pakistan-Wasim Akram
India- Ganguly
South Africa- Cronje
New Zealand - Fleming
SL - Ranatunga
WI - Gayle
Not watched much WI cricket then?

Anyway, mine would be:

Aus - Border
Eng - Brearley
Ind - Gavaskar
NZ - Crowe
Pak - Imran
SA - Cronje
SL - Ranatunga
WI - Richards (hardest one, Richards just because of the way he bossed the other team)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Almost no doubts about these TBH:
Australia: Bill Woodfull
England: Michael Brearley
India: Ajit Wadekar
New Zealand: Graham Dowling
Pakistan: Imran Khan
South Africa: Ali Bacher
Sri Lanka: Arjuna Ranatunga
West Indies: Clive Lloyd

Only Australia and New Zealand have any doubts, really. The rest are almost beyond dispute for those who know their stuff, though really the England captaincy is such a complex thing you could (and several people have) picked different people for different reasons.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Not watched much WI cricket then?

Anyway, mine would be:

Aus - Border
Eng - Brearley
Ind - Gavaskar
NZ - Crowe
Pak - Imran
SA - Cronje
SL - Ranatunga
WI - Richards (hardest one, Richards just because of the way he bossed the other team)
Yea, right. I think I would have chosen the guy before Lara but couldn't recall who it was, so went with Gayle based on like 5-10 overs I watched of WI-SA 2nd test:huh:

ozone

First Class Debutant
Aah, forgot about Clive Lloyd, have him over Richards any day. Ali Bacher though? Only captained one series IIRC although he did win all the tests. Surely he couldn't be judged the best on one series of tests?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thought he captained 2 TBH but might be wrong. Either way, wouldn't have that many qualms about having Cronje ahead of him - provided it was the Cronje who wasn't in-threu to bookmakers.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Thought he captained 2 TBH but might be wrong. Either way, wouldn't have that many qualms about having Cronje ahead of him - provided it was the Cronje who wasn't in-threu to bookmakers.
Yea, goes without saying really.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Ind - Ganguly (the only one to stand up to the Aussies)
Aus - Bradman (relentless and expected the same of others)
Eng - Jardine (ruthless-would've done well BL notwithstanding)
WI - Lloyd (cut above Worrell and had no hesitation in unleashing fury)
Pak - the only undisputed capt
NZ - Fleming
SAf - Bacher (cerebral)
SL - Ranatunga

Julian87

State Captain
Although I never saw either of them play, I am sure Ian Chappell and Richie Benaud would have been brilliant attacking captains. But in the modern era, I believe Taylor was the better then Waugh and Ponting as a captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although I never saw either of them play, I am sure Ian Chappell and Richie Benaud would have been brilliant attacking captains.
Would they have been brilliant defensive captains?

As captain, the ability to defend well is every bit as (if not more) important than the ability to attack well.

Not to mention the ability to know when to do which.

Flem274*

123/5
For NZ its a tie between Crowe and Fleming. Alot of the time both had issues with team selection or just crap players to use. Fleming probably edges out Crowe because he captained the side for a longer period in which he won the ICC trophy in Kenya, pushed the Aussies right to the brink in their own backyard, beat England in England, etc etc. Crowe apart from 92 WC didn't do a hell of alot mainly through lack of opportunity thanks to the Crowe vs Rutherford spat.