• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broke Sri Lanka relying on India

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Gosh, if the test nations are struggling for financial viability what does that mean for Non-Test nations trying to reach the promised land?:-O

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dude, its no secret that the whole cricket world to an extent is relying on the BCCI (God help cricket :laugh: ). That's realpolitik.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Ya, I'm not sure about WI, but Pakistan certainly generate a lot of money on their own. I don't think they would need to rely on BCCI for that. I guess if they do rely on BCCI for something, it would only be for cricketing issues like when Shoaib Akhtar was banned or the allegations of ball tempering at Oval.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The reason why Sri Lanka rely so much on India, is due to poor management at the top by Sri Lankan Cricket and poor use of funds. A lot of the money over the years that the National Team have generated over the years have just gone back into their pockets. As we have been shown by recent changes in domestic cricket their are many comerically companies who are willing to support cricket in Sri Lanka. But the board has never really tried to use these options properly as these commerical partners also want to have more control on the way their money been used and therefore the way comps are being run. The board have never been too happy using this this option as it limits their control.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This smells like Bullcrap to me mainly because of its timing. Besides I agree with Chaminda_00.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The reason why Sri Lanka rely so much on India, is due to poor management at the top by Sri Lankan Cricket and poor use of funds. A lot of the money over the years that the National Team have generated over the years have just gone back into their pockets. As we have been shown by recent changes in domestic cricket their are many comerically companies who are willing to support cricket in Sri Lanka. But the board has never really tried to use these options properly as these commerical partners also want to have more control on the way their money been used and therefore the way comps are being run. The board have never been too happy using this this option as it limits their control.
The recent problem has arisen due to the cancellation of the SAfrican team from the triangular series in 2006 after the bomb blast in Colombo. It cost them US$ 11.2 million !!

An out of court settlement with the television company Nimbus cost them another 5 million !!

All those who are in the fight against global terrorism need to come to the aid of Sri Lanka and Pakistan in such cases :dry:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's no secret that the BCCI keep some Test nations afloat, as they generate huge amounts of income. I beleive there was an article in the past few days about NZC also relying heavily upon money that comes from the BCCI.

Mind you, as SJS said, there are a couple of pretty obvious reasnons why Sri Lankan Cricket wasn't as profitable this year as they would have hoped.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SL is an impossible situation

Relatively poor country

Foreign cricket boards are not going to send their players into a dangerous situation

Terrorism is alsmost impossible to insure against

Pakistan is a slightly different situation as small sectors of society are incredibly wealthy but corruption is rampant.

The game could be supported from internal resources but money doesnt always go where it should

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH it is pretty easy to stop so called terrorism in Sri Lanka. Give us a ****ing home state and leave us the **** alone. Also it could help if both sides followed peace negolations. But thats another story.

Craig

World Traveller
This smells like Bullcrap to me mainly because of its timing. Besides I agree with Chaminda_00.
So you've now got internet access in your new job?

Move 'em to the Gold Coast!
:laugh:

Well we have an NRL team, an NBL team, almost certain an A-League team (called Gold Coast Galaxy BTW), and it looks like an AFL team, we may as well have an international cricket team.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not in the least bit surprised that SL cricket is facing the problems it is - everyone knew of the ineptitude and wastefulness of people involved in the game a the top level.

The recent problem has arisen due to the cancellation of the SAfrican team from the triangular series in 2006 after the bomb blast in Colombo. It cost them US$ 11.2 million !!

An out of court settlement with the television company Nimbus cost them another 5 million !!

All those who are in the fight against global terrorism need to come to the aid of Sri Lanka and Pakistan in such cases :dry:
:notworthy
Thank you SJS for pointing this out. The impact of terrorism in regards to SL cricket is virtually the elephant in the room that no one dares to speak of. Coupled with the wholesale mismanagement of the game, the current headline was inevitable.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
TBH it is pretty easy to stop so called terrorism in Sri Lanka.
Are you kidding? There is no such thing as 'so called terrorism'. Only terrorism. Go play semantics with the 12 innocent civilians that were massacred in a bombing just outside Dambulla today or the bus full of school children that were shot in the outskirts of Colombo a few weeks ago. You make me sick mate.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Are you kidding? There is no such thing as 'so called terrorism'. Only terrorism. Go play semantics with the 12 innocent civilians that were massacred in a bombing just outside Dambulla today or the bus full of school children that were shot in the outskirts of Colombo a few weeks ago. You make me sick mate.
Could use the line with what the Goverment did in Jaffna earlier this week with the killing of over a 100 innocent civilians. End of the day of these attacks from both sides are as bad as each other when it comes to killing innocent civilians. But the only reason one side is labelled a terrorised is cus they are not supported by the US Government, simple as. But neither are terrorised, it just the unforuntant aspects of a civil war.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
. You make me sick mate.
Ditto.

I AM sick already. :puke: :puke:

Terrorism is terrorism period

No amount of causes forwarded to justify it can make it appear to be different from what it is - an abomination and a curse on this planet.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Could use the line with what the Goverment did in Jaffna earlier this week with the killing of innocent civilians. End of the day of these attacks from both sides are as bad as each other when it comes to killing innocent civilians. But the only reason one side is labelled a terrorised is cus they are not supported by the US Government, simple as. But neither are terrorised, it just the unforuntant aspects of a civil war.
I am not here to endorse the Sri Lankan governments point of view. The Tamil terrorists are still what they are - terrorists.

In our own country, my fellow Sikhs waged a struggle to get a homeland for the Sikhs. I dont want to go into the rights and wrongs of the demand of that separate homeland (Khalistan) but the use of terror which resulted in thousands being killed across the country but largely in the Punjab was disgusting and shameful.

They too forwarded all types of grievances against the Indian government to justify the terrorism but that doesn't change a thing as far as the disgust that terrorism will and should provoke in all right thinking people across the globe.

Forget justifying the terrorism, even refusing to speak out against it at every possible opportunity disgusts me.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Could use the line with what the Goverment did in Jaffna earlier this week with the killing of over a 100 innocent civilians. End of the day of these attacks from both sides are as bad as each other when it comes to killing innocent civilians. But the only reason one side is labelled a terrorised is cus they are not supported by the US Government, simple as. But neither are terrorised, it just the unforuntant aspects of a civil war.
a) There is not one shred of evidence that 100 innocent civilians were even killed over the last week by the SL government. Parroting TamilNet as a academic source is like quoting "Dear Penthouse" letters.
b) I am not denying that there has been loss of civilian life caused as a result of SL Military operations. However most sensible people under the sun recognize the gaping chasm that exists between isolated and unfortunate instances of collateral damage and the systemic use of terrorism - specifically targeting civilian life.
c) There is no comparing a democratically elected government and a terrorist organization which has banned as such in virtually every peace loving nation on earth. This includes the United Sates, India, England, Australia and the entire European Union.
d) 'Terrorism' as defined by the United Nations - Terrorism is an anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby — in contrast to assassination — the direct targets of violence are not the main targets. The immediate human victims of violence are generally chosen randomly (targets of opportunity) or selectively (representative or symbolic targets) from a target population, and serve as message generators. Threat- and violence-based communication processes between terrorist (organization), (imperilled) victims, and main targets are used to manipulate the main target (audience(s)), turning it into a target of terror, a target of demands, or a target of attention, depending on whether intimidation, coercion, or propaganda is primarily sought