• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones... a forgotten hero?

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
With the wicket keeping position constantly under threat for England, have the selectors overlooked former keeper Jones? a legend from the glory years of 2005, he's 32 and is the most experienced at county and international level of all current English glove men.

I'm not saying he will be a permanent solution for England but it's surely worth giving him one more go?

..Ridley Jacobs for example made his test debut at 31 and went on to make 65 test appearances for the West Indies...

So, come on.. give Jonesy one more chance!!

BHG86

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Behave.

And he's not the most experienced at County level. This debate will go on for years I expect...

stumpski

International Captain
Not the worst by any means - with gloves or bat - but needs to be making hatfuls of runs for Kent to force his way back in, and he hasn't been. Averaging 29 this season with a highest score of 53, just not enough I'm afraid.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the wicket keeping position constantly under threat for England, have the selectors overlooked former keeper Jones? a legend from the glory years of 2005, he's 32 and is the most experienced at county and international level of all current English glove men.

I'm not saying he will be a permanent solution for England but it's surely worth giving him one more go?

..Ridley Jacobs for example made his test debut at 31 and went on to make 65 test appearances for the West Indies...

So, come on.. give Jonesy one more chance!!
I think Jones was criticised somewhat harshly by some but he deserved to lose his place when he did - he's done nothing to reclaim it this season but the present incumbent is on a slippery slope too - a couple of decent knocks and I suppose he will be back in contention with all the others and I reckon Captain Flintoff would want him

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This obsession with making runs is exactly the reason why England's wicket keeping selections have been farcical over the last 5 years.

Pick the best gloveman, end of story.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Pick the best gloveman, end of story.
No. You can't ignore batting (in)ability. A keeper needs to score some runs to be worthy of his place. That's why Alan Knott > Bob Taylor. Taylor was the better keeper, but Knott the more valuable player overall.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
..Well Mark Boucher has done fairly well to keep his place over the years, considering he barely averages 30 and has a high score of just 125 in over 110 test matches

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
..Well Mark Boucher has done fairly well to keep his place over the years, considering he barely averages 30 and has a high score of just 125 in over 110 test matches
A keeper that averages 30 isnt too bad. Theres also not many replacements in SA cricket id imagine? At the moment he;s nowhere near the Boucher i remember him as though. Batting wise anyway.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep 30 would do me for a keeper who's any good. Obviously if he's an amazing batsman you'd forgive him being a slightly poorer keeper. If he averages less than 30 he needs to be an outstanding keeper.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not easy to score 125 batting at 7. An excellent wicket keeper, which boucher has been throughout his career, who averages around 30, would get into most test teams for sure. Keepers like Gilchrist are exceptional, 30 is still a pretty good average for a keeper.

On keeping alone, the best in international cricket at the moment is McCullum IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But he batted at no. 3 when he got his 125
Batting at 7 (or lower) for the best part of his career explains why he never did any better. For example, he once scored 122NO batting at 8. So it's kinda an unfair criticism that he never bettered 125.

P.S. he wasn't batting at 3, he was batting at 6.