• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

mendis and murali

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
if the indians cant handle them then i fear for other teams.
before mendis teams can exclusively concentrate against seeing muali off but I fear the twin threat will be too much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ed Smith looked very good in his 1st Test too. So did Munaf Patel and S.

And here's a thing - even Sajid Mahmood looked good in his first 5 Test overs. :mellow:

Let's note something here - not for a second am I suggesting Mendis is remotely likely to go their way. Simply that a couple of Tests really isn't very much to be raving about.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

And here's a thing - even Sajid Mahmood looked good in his first 5 Test overs. :mellow:

Let's note something here - not for a second am I suggesting Mendis is remotely likely to go their way. Simply that a couple of Tests really isn't very much to be raving about.
I was raving about him before his Test debut - in fact before his ODI debut. The man is a phenomenon. Of course he may lose his hold over batsmen but at the moment he's as dangerous a bowler as there is in world cricket. Of course he may also be anomalously unlucky but we'll have to wait and see about that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that no matter how his career goes, he'll always be able to dismiss an out of form batsman or a tailender, because you simply always have to be alert to play him, imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I saw him briefly in the ODIs in the Windies earlier this year, but haven't had a serious look at him yet. His armoury sounds very impressive tho. Is he hard to pick from the hand, because myopic & crap as I am, I think even I could spot conventional off-breaks & a leg-breaks.

Maybe it's the uncertainty that makes him so effective currently? IIRC Ramadhin bowled both types of spin and became less effective after his initial success. Although May & Cowdrey kicking him to distraction probably didin't help in that respect either.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw him briefly in the ODIs in the Windies earlier this year, but haven't had a serious look at him yet. His armoury sounds very impressive tho. Is he hard to pick from the hand, because myopic & crap as I am, I think even I could spot conventional off-breaks & a leg-breaks.

Maybe it's the uncertainty that makes him so effective currently? IIRC Ramadhin bowled both types of spin and became less effective after his initial success. Although May & Cowdrey kicking him to distraction probably didin't help in that respect either.
Mendis has the 'carrom ball' though, something which I doubt has been quite done before him. It skids and straightens, similar to the teesra of Saqlain or less so the doosra of others, at 95kph. It is not flighted and so the batsmen has little time to adjust. He also has his googly which isn't too threatening in itself but with the threat of the carrom ball, it can catch batsmen who don't know what's going on, on the pad - similar to how Monty does after turning one big earlier in his spell. Interestingly enough, when Mendis was asked what type of bowler he is, he said he is an 'off cutter bowler' so I'd assume that that is his "stock ball" (in speech marks for obvious reasons).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
will mendis be a better bowler dan murali?:wacko:
It's way too early to think on those lines. That is like asking 'will player x be another Gary Sobers' after a handful of performances. There are chances that he might be less potent than what we saw in the India-Sri Lanka first test after people research him up more. It might not happen and he may continue to be a potent force with people not able to face him despite reading him/not able to read him at all - but better than Murali. I reiterate though that it is way too early to think about it.

Last edited:

gio

U19 Cricketer
Is he as big a turner of the ball as Murali? I've only seen footage of him on YouTube where it's virtually impossible to follow the ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally, I find him very overrated. Hes had a good start to his test career, but I think a lot of it is due to over-caution and anxiety that the Indian batsmen have generated. For mine, even if you cant read him from the hand, its not like he turns the ball significantly. He takes the vast majority of his wickets bowling straight balls. Ive said earlier, and I will say it again, he needs to be played like a medium pacer that bowls off and leg cutters rather than as a spinner. I think if you cant pick him and play his deliveries as though they will go straight, you will have infinetly more success than if you play for the turn when you have no idea which way the ball is turning.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Umm.....slight difference here, the hype isn't exclusively just a result of his first 2 tests.

Firstly the guy has the most ridiculous FC, ODI and List A bowling averages seen in recent years . Secondly in the few internationals he's played he has absolutely owned one of the best lineups against spin in both tests & ODI's.

Surely even you can see there is more justification for the hype associated with Mendis after 2 tests than in Smith or Patel's case

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, of course there is. The point is nothing more than, as someone said, that it's far too early to be asking "will he be better than one of the best players we've ever seen". It's utterly silly.

FTR, my interest was distinctly piqued by him at the time he made his ODI debut and had several people raving instantly about him. But, relatively speaking, he's still been around 5 minutes. It is annoying people going completely OTT about players who make sensational starts to careers.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
FFS, of course there is. The point is nothing more than, as someone said, that it's far too early to be asking "will he be better than one of the best players we've ever seen". It's utterly silly.

FTR, my interest was distinctly piqued by him at the time he made his ODI debut and had several people raving instantly about him. But, relatively speaking, he's still been around 5 minutes. It is annoying people going completely OTT about players who make sensational starts to careers.
I agree with much of this.

Whether or not he'll match Murali is something we can't answer yet (although the odds are heavily against it).

That said, he is at present - and perhaps for a limited time only - one of the most dangerous bowlers in world cricket, precisely because he's only been around for 5 minutes, so that batsmen haven't had the chance to work him out.

I'm not surprised that peoiple are raving about him. As you've rightly said yourself, he's currently the great hope for the future of spin bowling and is an incredibly exciting prospect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not at all surprised people are raving about him and "he looks like he's going to be a really rather good bowler" is raving that's more than fair enough. But "can he be better than Murali?" is an utterly pointless question at this point.