• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

KP rips into Ramps

Xuhaib

International Coach
Does Mark Ramprakash deserve a place in the England team?Tirion Yeoman, Newport

It's interesting that Ramprakash scored his 99th first-class hundred in early May and he's still waiting [on July 23]. Since then I've seen him abuse the television camera when he's walked off in a game and there are reports that he's lost the plot big style. People have always said he's had a problem dealing with pressure. The England set-up were very interested to see how quickly he was going to get to 100 hundreds [after he got his 99th]. All of the pressure and media were on him and that's almost the same kind of spotlight you get in international cricket. You have a look at his results since the media descended and it shows the character, doesn't it? I don't know him at all, but it's very interesting to see how people handle the pressure when it's on.
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/369886.html

cricman

International 12th Man
Says Someone who decided not work a little harder to get into the South African ranks

M. Vaughn your next on KP's hitlist

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find the "character" quote pretty dire really, especially as he admits he doesn't know him at all. Seems an odd thing to say, unless KP's a **** of course.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hardly ripping into him. He was asked a question, and he answered honestly. Better than some token diplomatic statement.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was a very good answer. Basically that England wanted to see how the 'New Ramps" handled pressure and he responded how the 'Old Ramps' would by choking and getting angry and frustrated.

Intetresting to hear that England players were following the situation.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had, until this season, long been happy to champion Ramps' claims for a return to international cricket and until recently had little time for KP other than when he was at the crease but I have to concede he summed things up admirably there

BoyBrumby

Englishman
M. Vaughn your next on KP's hitlist
From what I've read, the exact opposite is true. Vaughan's central contract was thanks in no small part to KP advocating his cause.

Would agree with what's said so far in the thread, KP isn't saying anything that a few folk (self included) on CW have said re Ramps. Imperious form in the preceding two seasons, then gets to a major millstone (sic) & it takes him (IIRC) 11 innings to make that 100th ton. Doesn't speak wonders of his new improved pressure-handling capabilities.

Still averaging 60+ for the season tho, tbf.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hardly ripping into him. He was asked a question, and he answered honestly. Better than some token diplomatic statement.
Was pretty much my exact thought having read thread-title and then the quote. Honestly, some people know how to write a headline. 8-)

As to the subject (a rather tired one, must be said)... I was never as convinced as some people were that Ramprakash's temperamental flaws had changed - I've said it hundreds of times, but it's not like his domestic form was poor from 2005 backwards, he wasn't doing anything in 2006 and 2007 other than going from excellent to superlative. Everything hinged on whether his temperament had altered. I wasn't sure it had, didn't see any reason to suspect it had based on his 2006 and 2007 form, and it seems the 99-to-100 course of 2008 has caused many others to think the same.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Exactly. Ramps is a choker under pressure, everyone knows that. I respect the fact that KP hasn't given some bull**** media-darling answer like many would have.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a diplomatic answer to a question like this. It's hardly out of line to refuse to answer a quesiton which calls for you to comment negatively on a fellow player. What would happen if Ramprakash did somehow find his way into the England team alongside KP in the future? Seems a tactless and unnecessary comment, regardless of the question asked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Completely agree with Faaip.

Yes we all love out there, loud mouth characters who give us something to read in the paper, rather than those that give robotic answers, but there is a time and a place for tact, and this was one of them.

What he said wasn't overly harsh, but it wasn't pleasant either. Respect for one's colleagues, at least in the public arena, is something KP should get used to as a captain.

The whole "oh he's just telling it like it is" line doesn't work when you're the leader of your national team. It also doesn't help team morale, nor help you win cricket matches.