• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oh! Good Boy Younis

Xuhaib

International Coach
http://dawn.com/2008/09/21/spt2.htm

Younis not to feature in Champions League

KARACHI, Sept 20: Pakistan batsman Younis Khan will skip the inaugural Twenty20 Champions League tournament to concentrate on playing first-class cricket in Australia.

The tournament, to be held from Dec 3 to 10 with $6 million in prize money will feature two teams from each of Australia, India and South Africa and the champions from the English and Pakistan domestic competitions.

Younis, however, confirmed he would not play the tournament to fulfil his contract in Australia’s domestic competition with South Australia.

“Twenty20 cricket might be popular among the people but to me it is nothing compared to first-class cricket,” Younis told a local television channel.

“I would prefer to play first-class because that is real cricket and that is where a player is really tested,” he added.

Younis is scheduled to join South Australia in mid-October after playing in Pakistan’s domestic Twenty20 competition and in a four-nation event in Toronto, Canada, that finishes on Oct 14.—Reuters
..................................................................................................................................

Good to see a top class International cricketer knowing where his priorities lie.

P.S Richard is the thread title ok with you?:dry:

Precambrian

Banned
Anyway, he was hardly a surety in the playing eleven, and did nothing of note in the IPL.

As a professional, his decision is piss-poor, as he would get paid even for being in the sidelines, and need to forego only a few weeks domestic action in Australia.

As a purist, it's a very good decision, as he has listened to his heart than his mind, and playing in Australian domestic cricket is much better in the long term, as it is simply the hardest domestic structure.

However, a catch will be whether his team would release him, as there is a contract to be given heed to, and the IPL reserves the right of first refusal.

Verdict- Glad to know there exist people who are not bound by dictates of money alone, and understand the game more. Hats off.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We must look upon this cynically, he won't be picked in the Champions League, has a deal with an Aussie Domestic Team and likely enjoys batting in FC cricket more than T20.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, he was hardly a surety in the playing eleven, and did nothing of note in the IPL.

As a professional, his decision is piss-poor, as he would get paid even for being in the sidelines, and need to forego only a few weeks domestic action in Australia.
He's only here for a few weeks as it is!

pasag

RTDAS
But the money is still divided between the squad though isn't it? But yeah, great to see and I hope he does well here. Xuhaib's worst thread title of the week? :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. he was hardly getting picked for the Royals and perhaps felt he would rather play the format he enjoys more..

Still, takes guts to forego that kind of money to get some hitting time.. As an earlier poster said, seems to be listening to his heart more than his mind. Fair play to him for that......

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
YK has always come across as an Honest man, so I dont believe his decision has anything to do with money or his insecurity about the selection in IPL.

In times like this, where top players are threatening to retire if not allowed to play in IPL, this is so refreshing IMO. Kudos to the man.

pup11

International Coach
YK has always come across as an Honest man, so I dont believe his decision has anything to do with money or his insecurity about the selection in IPL.

In times like this, where top players are threatening to retire if not allowed to play in IPL, this is so refreshing IMO. Kudos to the man.
AWTA, and unlike a lot of guys who are suggesting that this is a case of sour grapes, i feel this is a very brave decision, he could have got a lot of money just for sitting on the sidelines if his team had won, but obviously there are still some people out there who love the game slightly more then the money. Younis surely deserves a pat on the back for this.

Xuhaib

International Coach
AWTA, and unlike a lot of guys who are suggesting that this is a case of sour grapes, i feel this is a very brave decision, he could have got a lot of money just for sitting on the sidelines if his team had won, but obviously there are still some people out there who love the game slightly more then the money. Younis surely deserves a pat on the back for this.
AWTA.

Possibly the only role model in the current Pakistan team.

irfan

State Captain
AWTA.

Possibly the only role model in the current Pakistan team.
Could make a case for Younis Khan..

Fantastic stuff from Yousuf. Have always held him in high regard ever since scoring that century against England at Lords while fasting, but sacrifying 20-20 (easy cash) for a domestic hitout puts him up on an even higher pedestal.

pasag

RTDAS
Could make a case for Younis Khan..

Fantastic stuff from Yousuf. Have always held him in high regard ever since scoring that century against England at Lords while fasting, but sacrifying 20-20 (easy cash) for a domestic hitout puts him up on an even higher pedestal.
It is Younis :p

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was being told that CL money is pro-rata based. Heard Modi talking about it during the IPL. Might have changed though.