• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come on in Ramps the water's lovely!

stumpski

International Captain
I don't understand why somebody who no longer has expectations of being picked for England would be concerned about playing in Division Two - it didn't noticeably bother Graeme Hick. Poor reason for leaving a county (and not, I believe, the only reason he left Middlesex). Surrey should make him captain for next year, that may persuade him to stay.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't understand why somebody who no longer has expectations of being picked for England would be concerned about playing in Division Two - it didn't noticeably bother Graeme Hick. Poor reason for leaving a county (and not, I believe, the only reason he left Middlesex). Surrey should make him captain for next year, that may persuade him to stay.
Think you've probably answered your own question. Maybe Ramps still harbours those ambitions.

stumpski

International Captain
Possibly - although in recent interviews he appears to have given up hope of a recall, or at least admit it's extremely unlikely - but do the selectors really attach that much more weight to performances in Division One?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Possibly - although in recent interviews he appears to have given up hope of a recall, or at least admit it's extremely unlikely - but do the selectors really attach that much more weight to performances in Division One?
Given Mark's continued absence from the squad (& Mick Vaughan's central contract) I think we can say not much.

Obviously he's slipped a bit in terms of performance from his twin peaks of 2006 & 2007, but he's still averaging comfortably in excess of 60 for the season, which you'd take as a batsman.

stumpski

International Captain
Trouble is, the nearer he gets to 40 - and he has less than a year to go - the less likely it becomes. If ever there was a player who didn't have time on his side, it's Ramps. If he were five years younger perhaps he'd still be in with a reasonable chance.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was a tedious b*****d I'd point out that Sir Jack Hobbs scored 100 100's after his 40th birthday - but then he stayed at Surrey!

Woodster

International Captain
Don't think Ramps seriously thinks he will ever play for England again, regardless of the division he plays in. But the next best thing is to play in the top flight, so I understand him still wanting to test himself, keep his motivation up. Graeme Hick, having spent do many years at Worcester, must have thought any upheavel was not necessary or wanted at the stage of his career.

However, Ramps still has a year to run on his contract and I don't expect him to leave before then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If I was a tedious b*****d I'd point out that Sir Jack Hobbs scored 100 100's after his 40th birthday - but then he stayed at Surrey!
Bastard isn't (perhaps rather surprisingly) filtered ITBT.

(And Hobbs broke just about every rule in the book of batting where age was concerned, just to add)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can only speak for myself but I honestly don't give which division runs were scored or figures taken in the slightest of consideration. First-Class cricket is First-Class cricket; there are stronger teams and weaker teams up and down the country but the truth is that the majority of teams in D2 could beat those in D1 as much as those in the same divisions could.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Ramps seriously thinks he will ever play for England again, regardless of the division he plays in. But the next best thing is to play in the top flight.
Agree completely. He may never play Tests again but to push yourself at his age you need to be playing at the highest level possible. For him, now, that is Div 1.

Seems very reasonable and it isnt like he has not moved Counties before.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would welcome him at Hampshire tbh, would add much needed strength to the fragile batting line up, would walk into the side.

stumpski

International Captain
It's not as if KP is often seen at the Rose Bowl, though. One CC match in the last three seasons.

Craig

World Traveller
It's not as if KP is often seen at the Rose Bowl, though. One CC match in the last three seasons.
Does KP live in Hampsire or does he live in London (for example) and just drive to a Hampshire game if he is to play? If Ramps were to move to Hampshire, they would surely cross paths at some point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, given few are as regularly engaged in international cricket and as rarely requiring of a chance to find form as he, it's hardly surprising.