• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Fab five' told to plan for retirement

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hah, I like that. "YOU plan for your retirement!" Would think it'd be prudent for the Indian selectors to do the same because if they let all 5 of them go all at once, their stock as a Test side is going pretty damn fast. Would also think it'd be smarter to let them go over a protracted period of time....

Maybe they sould all retire now, right before the Aussie series. Reckon the BCCI would stop the bull-boy crap quicksmart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems odd TSTL. I'd have no objection to them all going out together - it'd be wonderful, in fact - but why would you push someone if their performances were still good?

Tendulkar especially surely has more than a few Tests left to offer?

I'd love little more than to see the five choose to go out simualtaneously with a run\wicket-filled (and victorious) two series' against Australia and us. But it'd be soured if I thought they'd been pushed.

pasag

RTDAS
Seems silly, they should have been planning this in stages, like retire one every few months, making it a proper and effective transition if they wanted an overhaul and a clearout. This will put way too much pressure on the replacements all coming in at around the same time.

Craig

World Traveller
Hah, I like that. "YOU plan for your retirement!" Would think it'd be prudent for the Indian selectors to do the same because if they let all 5 of them go all at once, their stock as a Test side is going pretty damn fast. Would also think it'd be smarter to let them go over a protracted period of time....

Maybe they sould all retire now, right before the Aussie series. Reckon the BCCI would stop the bull-boy crap quicksmart.
Would be awesome if they did. The ultimate **** You!" to the BCCI.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I still think VVS has a couple of seasons left in him.

He's younger than the others by roughly 2 years at least.

Sachin - who knows ? Politics will probably come into play here as well. If you think dropping Ganguly was hard, you ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't think Kumble has much left in the tank.....tbh, I think Kumble should look to quit either after the Australia series or the England one.....he's had a great career (they all have really)....don't see what's left for him to prove/achieve and I don't think he should stand in the way of a younger player coming through.
Ditto Ganguly.

Precambrian

Banned
Crap. Just because one 'official' said it won't make it legit. In fact, can anyone source an Indian newssite reporting the same? Ganguly has categorically denied any such 'deadlines' have been given.

They have all seen test cricket for many years, and knows when to retire. It is bull **** to make them retire voluntarily. BCCI has every right to drop them if they don't match up to expectations.

Trolling at it's best. Creating a thread for a complete non-issue which is at best blown up.

pasag

RTDAS
Trolling at it's best. Creating a thread for a complete non-issue which is at best blown up.
Haha, what are you on about? Not to mention the absurdity of accusing the owner and guy who pays the bills around here of trolling his own website 8-)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crap. Just because one 'official' said it won't make it legit. In fact, can anyone source an Indian newssite reporting the same? Ganguly has categorically denied any such 'deadlines' have been given.

They have all seen test cricket for many years, and knows when to retire. It is bull **** to make them retire voluntarily. BCCI has every right to drop them if they don't match up to expectations.

Haha, wait, did you just accuse James of trolling his own forum? Why would he do that?

It may or may not be media daydreams but there's no need to attack the messenger like that. If true it's a very interesting article, so it was posted up for discussion. Obviously it is of dubious credibility but we can discuss that as well; nothing wrong with the thread.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
LOL @ James being accused of trolling.

Poor management from the BCCI IMO, particularly because at least three of those players are genuine all-time greats. The likes of Sachin Tendulkar deserve better than to be told to retire before they're dropped - I hope he, in particular, destroys everyone in those next six Tests and conclusively proves that forcing him to retire would be a silly decision.

Are they really suggesting that if some youngster comes in to replace him and does poorly, they would rather not have the option of bringing back one of the greatest batsmen of all time? I accept that this is about moving on to a new era, but all of those players are, or at least should be, experienced enough to know that if you aren't producing the goods, you get dropped. Just because one, some or all of them might be dropped on this particular occasion shouldn't mean they never have the chance to return.

Precambrian

Banned
Half jest of course. :-) But unsubstantiated reports like this will end up in '**** BCCI' posts inevitably, and hardly that's value creation. Jus my thoughts.
Sorry if i hurt your sentiments Mr. James.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
LOL @ James being accused of trolling.

Poor management from the BCCI IMO, particularly because at least three of those players are genuine all-time greats. The likes of Sachin Tendulkar deserve better than to be told to retire before they're dropped - I hope he, in particular, destroys everyone in those next six Tests and conclusively proves that forcing him to retire would be a silly decision.

Are they really suggesting that if some youngster comes in to replace him and does poorly, they would rather not have the option of bringing back one of the greatest batsmen of all time? I accept that this is about moving on to a new era, but all of those players are, or at least should be, experienced enough to know that if you aren't producing the goods, you get dropped. Just because one, some or all of them might be dropped on this particular occasion shouldn't mean they never have the chance to return.
Yeah indeed, it's not like some of them haven't been dropped on occasions before either, both Ganguly and Laxman have spent time out of the side over the last few years when their performances have not lived up to expectations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems silly, they should have been planning this in stages, like retire one every few months, making it a proper and effective transition if they wanted an overhaul and a clearout. This will put way too much pressure on the replacements all coming in at around the same time.
Don't agree with that TBH. If the replacements are up-to-scratch, they'll perform. If they're not, they won't. S Badrinath won't play any better (either short-term or long IMO) if Sachin Tendulkar is in the side for the first 3 Tests of his career. It's entirely down to him how he performs. If he'd benefit from having Tendulkar around wherever (be it dressing-room, nets or what), he's more than free to seek him out and ask of him whatever he feels he needs. Likewise Rahul Dravid's experience can still help Yuvraj Singh or Suresh Raina, he doesn't need to be on the teamsheet.

I've no objections to players going out together, especially when they've been part of a unit for a long time. But I hate the idea that someone be forced to retire just because someone's decided it's time even if his performances are still good enough for him to be playing. This in fact happens far more when people try to "in stage" retirements than if it's "en masse".

(If, of course, this is true - which let's hope it's not)

pasag

RTDAS
Don't agree with that TBH. If the replacements are up-to-scratch, they'll perform. If they're not, they won't. S Badrinath won't play any better (either short-term or long IMO) if Sachin Tendulkar is in the side for the first 3 Tests of his career. It's entirely down to him how he performs. If he'd benefit from having Tendulkar around wherever (be it dressing-room, nets or what), he's more than free to seek him out and ask of him whatever he feels he needs. Likewise Rahul Dravid's experience can still help Yuvraj Singh or Suresh Raina, he doesn't need to be on the teamsheet.

I've no objections to players going out together, especially when they've been part of a unit for a long time. But I hate the idea that someone be forced to retire just because someone's decided it's time even if his performances are still good enough for him to be playing. This in fact happens far more when people try to "in stage" retirements than if it's "en masse".

(If, of course, this is true - which let's hope it's not)
Disagree with all of that. The pressure is much less on the new players if a transitional overhaul method is used.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why? The pressure to perform is equal if it's formerly-excellent players failing before you or fellow newcomers failing after you.

And players are always under pressure to perform, really. I don't think it's significantly greater depending on which other names are in the team.