• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series Points, Test Player Rankings

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Maybe. I always get confused. Still, hard not to recognize the best bowler of the first hundred years of cricket.

Last edited:

chasingthedon

International Regular
If I'm not mistaken that is the same gent as Silentstriker's avatar
Well spotted Fred, George Lohmann it is. As you can see from the article, by this ranking method he was far and away the top Test cricketer (not just best bowler) of his era.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are very interesting articles and clearly illustrate how over the years the balance of power in the game moved so far in favour of batsman that bodyline became inevitable after Bradman came along and put the final nail in the bowler's coffins

Mind you I do struggle with the notion that the Headley was only the third best West Indian of the time - as you will see from the above I have therefore stopped referring to Bradman as the White Headley!

chasingthedon

International Regular
They are very interesting articles and clearly illustrate how over the years the balance of power in the game moved so far in favour of batsman that bodyline became inevitable after Bradman came along and put the final nail in the bowler's coffins

Mind you I do struggle with the notion that the Headley was only the third best West Indian of the time - as you will see from the above I have therefore stopped referring to Bradman as the White Headley!
Thanks. Actually in that article I didn't show the top 20 for total points during the decade, which I did for later articles, only the top 10; here's 11-20:-

WAS Oldfield (AUS) 304
W Voce (ENG) 294
GA Headley (WI) 289
LN Constantine (WI) 288
WH Ponsford (AUS) 276
RWV Robins (ENG) 258
WM Woodfull (AUS) 251
RES Wyatt (ENG) 240
H Sutcliffe (ENG) 233
CL Vincent (SAF) 230

So in terms of actual contribution rather than points per appearance, Headley was top West Indian (although not by much!). Next best West Indian is Martindale on 156, so clearly Headley and Constantine were the dominant forces in the 1930s Wst Indian teams.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What was Larwood's total for the 20's and 30's? and Jack Gregory for the 20's

Will be interested to see where Aubrey Faulkner appears in the Golden Age figures ................ and in due course how much things had swung back to bowlers in the 50's

chasingthedon

International Regular
What was Larwood's total for the 20's and 30's? and Jack Gregory for the 20's

Will be interested to see where Aubrey Faulkner appears in the Golden Age figures ................ and in due course how much things had swung back to bowlers in the 50's
Larwood: 1920s - 229 [12 Tests], 1930s - 164 [9 Tests]

Gregory: 1920s - 517 (second only to Tate on 544)

I'm also keeping an eye on highest individual series scores; up to the end of the 1940s Faulkner has the second best total so far (178 vs England in 1909-10). Best so far is Bradman with 186 vs South Africa in 1931-32.