• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SLC look for BCCI help

pup11

International Coach
Here you go.

I guess there will be a backflip on Sri Lakan ICL players then?
Of course that's surely going to happen, but you can't blame the SLC for this tbh, they are going through serious financial crisis, so to stay afloat they would have to work something out, and this seems to the best option for them atm, just a shame that all this is happening at the cost of international cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see a backflip on the ICL, as the players wont stand for it.

The players both senior and junior are over hearing the board broke and aren't going to limit their potential earning just to help the board out anymore. The only reason why they are broke is due to poor mis-management on their behalf in the first place.

For about a decade they have limited their earning by not playing overseas in places like South Africa and New Zeland. Just to stay home of play in the odd domestic match, or play a million ODIs they never get paid for, You get a sence now that for most of players it us first and national team second. I don't blame them there is so much crap you can take, before you had enough.

pup11

International Coach
Can't see a backflip on the ICL, as the players wont stand for it.

The players both senior and junior are over hearing the board broke and aren't going to limit their potential earning just to help the board out anymore. The only reason why they are broke is due to poor mis-management on their behalf in the first place.

For about a decade they have limited their earning by not playing overseas in places like South Africa and New Zeland
. Just to stay home of play in the odd domestic match, or play a million ODIs they never get paid for, You get a sence now that for most of players it us first and national team second. I don't blame them there is so much crap you can take, before you had enough.

Would you please elaborate why do they do such a thing???

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's what i was asking him, why do they prefer to stay home and play in domestic games or ODI's, instead of touring other countries.
Loyalty I'd guess. I think chaminda's point is it hasn't been acknowledged or repaid by the board

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I believe Chaminda or someone hit the nail on the head on another thread abt this.

Ranatunga is doing all this as part of a bargain thing to the BCCI. He was basically telling them... help us out with some cash or else we will start going against you. Now, the BCCI has no other thing left to do but to promise cash rewards and agreements with them, coz if the ICL thingy does get taken to court, most will agree that the BCCI will probably end up the losers...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When I referred to playing in New Zeland and South Africa, I meant playing in their domestic leagues. But those leagues clash with the Sri Lankan domestic league and majority of their International season.

I know guys like Jayasuriya, Muralitharan and others have wanted and have had offers to play domestic cricket overseas full time. As they only really earn money playing county cricket and now in IPL and ICL. Playing in places like NZ and SA even just part time they would have earned a decent income.

They barely got paid a cent playing for national side. The issue is the board has been relutant to consider releasing them to play overseas during their main summer. The players never pushed the issues as just it is a miniumal increase in their income. When a contracted player plays overseas they need to get released by the board.

Though with the significant increase in income for playing in ICL, IPL and potentially the Irani Trophy. The players are starting to push the issue more. At the very least they want windows to play the IPL. Cus the backup players get paid nothing either and get no money from sponsorship, they only way they can earn money is the ICL. So there no chance they are going to back down on the ICL, unless the minimal wage increase and actually gets paid.

jeevan

International 12th Man
ICL players were let in by SLC and it's president Ranatunga.
England tour overlapping with IPL timeframe was being coordinated by SLC, and presumably by Ranatunga.

SL players were let off from England tour for the IPL by the sports minister on support from SLCA
This article on BCCI funding quotes, again the sports minister and SLCA. But no quotes from SLC.

To me, this smells like BCCI doing an end run around SLC / Ranatunga by communicating directly with sports minister and SLCA (whose agenda appears to be different from SLC).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sports minister was the one that pushed for ICL players to re-enter domestic cricket on behalf of players. Ranatunga only made the final decison after the comerical partners wanted the players in as well.

Though the question of who really runs Sri Lankan cricket is a big one and will decide where Sri Lankan cricket goes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't the sports minister always had the final say ahead of the board Pres, CEO or whatever?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't the sports minister always had the final say ahead of the board Pres, CEO or whatever?
Yes and no. But it is only recently the players have got him involved in any major decision on their behalf.

There is difference between signing things off and actually impacting a decison. The sports minister only gets involved if someone asks them.