• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Little Tradition; Please!

archie mac

International Coach
I noticed the SS players now have a huge logo on the front of their white shirts, a big number on the back with the players name also included.

I noticed the Sth Afr. team have added a little bit of green to their Test uniform

Is this the beginning of the end for the Whites?

I don't mind the No. thing tbh, helps people work out who is who, should it be adopted in Test cricket?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doubt it will happen in test cricket in the near future, but can't say it will never happen. Don't really care tbh, as long as cricket is on the field.

howardj

International Coach
Disgusted and appalled.

However, as long as the integrity of the game itself is maintained, then I'm happy.

Please don't mess with the traditional game itself.

The shorter and longer versions can co-exist.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
White uniforms suck. People should have jerseys with names and team colors on them. At the very least, names should be there. It's the TV age. Let's make it a little easy for the fans. It doesn't affect the game, and makes watching it a whole lot better. There is no argument for it, except the classic appeal to tradition fallacy, which I never buy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
White uniforms suck. People should have jerseys with names and team colors on them. At the very least, names should be there. It's the TV age. Let's make it a little easy for the fans. It doesn't affect the game, and makes watching it a whole lot better. There is no argument for it, except the classic appeal to tradition fallacy, which I never buy.
This, for me too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would prefer the whites but I can live with colours. What I certainly dont want is changing the colour of the ball. Thats not on. If they can manage some colour on the clothes (I would have avoided it) without changing the ball, I am okay, I guess.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I would prefer the whites but I can live with colours. What I certainly dont want is changing the colour of the ball. Thats not on. If they can manage some colour on the clothes (I would have avoided it) without changing the ball, I am okay, I guess.
AWTA.

Craig

World Traveller
What about in Test cricket? Why not get the Baggy Green and put a player's personal sponsorship logo on the side, or any Test cap from another nation?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Like a nice, crisp, unsullied set of whites myself. Something very English about the bowler taking his mark in his pristine flannels and surveying the field setting whilst enigmatically rubbing the ball on his crotch. :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I prefer all whites myself.

Its a five day game after all. Plenty of time for the uninitiated to familiarise themselves with the players without the need for tiny balancing wheels.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can see the argument for numbers and names, certainly think that's probably a good way to go (and several Championship sides have been doing such a thing for a while over here). As for whites, well... it's one of those things that it'd be nice to keep if possible (I don't really mind a splash of colour on a seam or two) but it's far from essential. If the game can be enhanced by having multicoloured clothing, I'd be all for it.

But really, I don't think there's anything much to be gained by coloured clothing in itself. The only potential usefulness is that it enables a white ball to be used, which comes with certain caveats in itself, and I'm far from convinced I'd be keen on the use of a white ball in Test and First-Class cricket.