• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fab Five Replacements

irfan

State Captain
With Ganguly already announcing his retirement and Dravid and Kumble playing well below their peak, it's time to discuss what you think theIndian batting lineup will look like in 3 years time when all 5 (bar possibly Laxman) retire leaving a massive hole in the Indian middle order.

Personally I think we should have
1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Badrinath
4. Raina
5. Kaif/R. Sharma
6. M Tiwary (smoky)

masterblaster

International Captain
With Ganguly already announcing his retirement and Dravid and Kumble playing well below their peak, it's time to discuss what you think theIndian batting lineup will look like in 3 years time when all 5 (bar possibly Laxman) retire leaving a massive hole in the Indian middle order.

Personally I think we should have
1. Sehwag
2. Gambhir
3. Badrinath
4. Raina
5. Kaif/R. Sharma
6. M Tiwary (smoky)
I'd probably agree with that. Although I wasn't convinced of Tiwary when he was out here and he played pretty poorly in the IPL too. There's some good batsmen going around India and even somebody like Yusuf Pathan could be used in an Andrew Symonds type role at number 6 to give them flexibility. I agree with your choices of Badrinath, Raina and Kaif/Sharma though.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
1) Gambhir
2) Sehwag
3) Badrinath
4) Kaif
5) Raina / Yuvraj
6) Sharma / Tiwary

Badrinath and Kaif at 3 and 4 respectively is a given for me. At 5 Im leaning towards Raina, however I believe that Yuvraj still may have something to offer to the Indian middle order if he can improve against spin, as he can be a good strokemaker and has international experience. At 6 Im inclined to go with Sharma, as he is very talented, however I believe that he needs to score more runs in ODI's before he is to be considered in the test team.

Don't really know which Indian spinner should replace Kumble out of Mishra, Ohja and Chawla as I have never seen any of them bowl.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Chopra
2. Sehwag
3. Ghambir
4. Badrinath
5. Kaif

#6 completely up for grabs for mine. Kohli, Sharma and Raina all with a decent shot at it from here. I suppose you could throw Yuvraj in the mix although I doubt he'll ever be Test standard TBH.

It's unlikely they'll move Gambhir and pick Chopra though, which would basically just move everyone up one and open up another place for the batsmen I mentioned above.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never really rated Kaif and have seen very little in him to change that for me just yet. Would rather blood Raina,Sharma or Kohli ahead of him. All are far more talented and if brought along properly will be very good Test players.

That said Badrinath has to be next in line. Or Chopra if we want to change the opening partnership we have now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yuvraj surely deserves another go ahead of some of the lot mentioned so far?

Without having followed in intimate detail domestic form of recent years, I'd take some punt at:
Chopra
Gambhir
Sehwag
Badrinath
Yuvraj Singh
Kaif \ Raina

As for who'd be a spinner to take Kumble's place, I don't know. Mishra... perhaps? If not then Powar'd be the one I'd give first dibs to, could potentially make a damn good Test bowler on a turning pitch if he bowled like he tends to in ODIs IMO.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Powar had a very poor domestic season with ball and bat last year. I believe that Kohli's credentials outweighs Raina's atm too.

irfan

State Captain
1. Chopra
2. Sehwag
3. Ghambir
4. Badrinath
5. Kaif

#6 completely up for grabs for mine. Kohli, Sharma and Raina all with a decent shot at it from here. I suppose you could throw Yuvraj in the mix although I doubt he'll ever be Test standard TBH.

It's unlikely they'll move Gambhir and pick Chopra though, which would basically just move everyone up one and open up another place for the batsmen I mentioned above.
Will be 34 in three years time...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Within a few matches Chawla or Mishra should replace Kumble; Kaif or Badrinath should replace Ganguly once he retires after this series...Coming back to the thread topic, Indian batting line-up after 3 years or so might look like

Gambhir
Sehwag
Badrinath
Kaif
Raina
Tiwary
Dhoni

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
1. Gambhir
2. Sehwag
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Laxman/Badrinath
6. Badrinath/Kaif
7. Dhoni
8. Chawla

Sorry for be confusing, but I don't think there will be an exodus of large proportion. You'd think that Dravid and Tendulkar have the selectors on their side, so they have a few games up their sleeves. But, if, as the original questions asks, who I'd want:

1. Gambhir
2. Sehwag
3. Badrinath
4. Kaif
5. Yuvraj/Rohit
6. Yuvraj/Rohit/Kholi

I have no doubt that Yuvraj will get another shot.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Undeniable that Yuvi will get another chance. Just I don't think he'll desrve it or take it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just wondering, what has Kaif or Raina done to get a gig in front of R Sharma? Or is it just that Sharma hasn't done enough in FC cricket to get the guernsey.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Kaif and Raina both did well in the Ranji Trophy last year and as you said, Rohit has done little in FC cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last I looked Raina's FC career average was over 50 - it might've come down (or even gone up) but surely he's done better than Rohit Sharma (for all his promise) so far?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here we go again...though I don't mind it much

We don't expect Sachin or even Dravid to be dropped so soon. Let's not forget, Dravid can score where others struggle, like in the Jamaica Test. That should keep him in the team for some time. In fact, they need at least two experienced hands for the youngsters to play around. This should do just right-
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Dravid
  • Tendulkar
  • Badrinath
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Joker/In-form Irfan Pathan/Mishra/Chawla/Praveen
Outside of this, the sooner they get Yuvraj back on his feet, the better. Make no mistake, he's a very talented batsman, but just a little problem-ridden. More illustrious players have faced the same problems as he has and are still continuing in this team. Rather than leave out Yuvraj in the cold forever (which would be a massive failure for Indian cricket), they need to work on him with all the facilities they have- video analysis, biomechanical labs as well as technical expertise should be put to use. A bit frivolous to some, but he should stop bowling, even in ODIs, and concentrate on batting alone.

This partnership comes to mind. Sachin was at the crease with a young Rohit Sharma at Sydney. Sachin was the dominant partner. Rohit stood at the other end, running hard to add singles to the team total. There was good understanding and teamwork between the two, and that's something that should be facilitated in Indian teams in the near future.

They need to get more out of Dhoni as a Test batsman. He bats way too low, and at an irrelevant position. He's hardly got a chance, except when the team loses more than a few wickets, but otherwise, he's irrelevant. He needs to step up as a Test batsman, as when in form, he can add a lot more value than any other batsman coming in at six.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
somebody like Yusuf Pathan could be used in an Andrew Symonds type role at number 6 to give them flexibility.
That's a good joker pick, but Yusuf needs to make an impact either with bat or ball to make a place in the Test team. He has a chance as a batsman, but he has the likes of Rohit Sharma, Raina and Yuvraj for competition. Leading this season's Ranji with the bat can do his chances a lot of good. In form, he can be very useful in the playing XI. He's still a lot better than other similar players, such as Laxmiratan Shukla, Rajat Bhatia and Abhishek Nayar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj surely deserves another go ahead of some of the lot mentioned so far?

Without having followed in intimate detail domestic form of recent years, I'd take some punt at:
Chopra
Gambhir
Sehwag
Badrinath
Yuvraj Singh
Kaif \ Raina

As for who'd be a spinner to take Kumble's place, I don't know. Mishra... perhaps? If not then Powar'd be the one I'd give first dibs to, could potentially make a damn good Test bowler on a turning pitch if he bowled like he tends to in ODIs IMO.
So you've taken a risk with Yuvraj, eh? Not a bad idea, in the current scheme of things. As for the second spinner, Mishra should be the top option. He's more accomplished than other contenders, and surely the best spinner after Kumble and Bhajji. There's also the option of Rajesh Pawar, a left-arm spinner who can also score more than a few runs- though Mishra can score a few as well. Chopra would be useful as a reserve opener, but you only need two to open.

adharcric

International Coach
Badrinath, Raina and Kaif are ready to go. Of course, if these three don't work out immediately, Chopra opening with Gambhir sliding down is a good option. Sharma and Kohli need some FC work but the selectors may take a punt on the former's talent sooner rather than later. Mishra, Powar and Kartik are ready-to-go spin options but I'd only consider Mishra at this point. Ojha and Chawla are almost there.