• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara's ending?

Mard

Banned
I really hated the way Lara's test career finished. I mean his retirement annoucment was so sudden. why did he retire from test cricket the way he did? no body expected such a great career to finish in such a terrible way. He was only short 47 runs from crossing the 12000 runs mark. The least he could have done was to play one more match for a last hurray, But the idiot didn't even do that. what a shame!!! why would anyone end their career this way?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think, from what was reported at the time & since, that the great man's "retirement" may not have been entirely of his own volition. He was allowed the fig-leaf of going on his own terms publically, but suspect it was a "go or be dropped" edict from the Windies board. Not long before his retirement he was talking about playing tests until he was past 40. From the BBC.

All a tremendous pity because the Windies aren't currently so awash with geniuses that they can dispense with one so readily & also because we've been denied the pleasure of watching the great man in full fow.

pasag

RTDAS
I think, from what was reported at the time & since, that the great man's "retirement" may not have been entirely of his own volition. He was allowed the fig-leaf of going on his own terms publically, but suspect it was a "go or be dropped" edict from the Windies board. Not long before his retirement he was talking about playing tests until he was past 40. From the BBC.

All a tremendous pity because the Windies aren't currently so awash with geniuses that they can dispense with one so readily & also because we've been denied the pleasure of watching the great man in full fow.
The whole thing was disgraceful. It's understandable that India are doing it with so much talent coming through, but to treat Lara like that and then giving guys with FC averages of 20 a go is unforgivable.

Mard

Banned
yeah really shame for west indies. To tell you the truth Lara didn't really belong in this terrible era of west indies cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can’t believe Lara really didn’t want to tour England in 2007 and am happy to accept he jumped before he was pushed. Sporting geniuses are, as far as I can see, generally pretty tough to manage and it’s pathetic that the WICB, who in truth only ever had the one genius to deal with throughout Lara’s career, couldn’t make a better job of it.

Have to say I am surprised that neither the ICL nor the IPL have managed to lure him
to the sub continent (they must have tried presumably?) but I still hope Mr Stanford might wheel him out for his money match which is the only thing I can think of which might tempt me to suggest to Mrs Fertang that that might be better viewing than her endless reruns of “Third Rock from the Sun”

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can’t believe Lara really didn’t want to tour England in 2007 and am happy to accept he jumped before he was pushed. Sporting geniuses are, as far as I can see, generally pretty tough to manage and it’s pathetic that the WICB, who in truth only ever had the one genius to deal with throughout Lara’s career, couldn’t make a better job of it.

Have to say I am surprised that neither the ICL nor the IPL have managed to lure him
to the sub continent (they must have tried presumably?) but I still hope Mr Stanford might wheel him out for his money match which is the only thing I can think of which might tempt me to suggest to Mrs Fertang that that might be better viewing than her endless reruns of “Third Rock from the Sun”
Lara signed a contract with the ICL, captained the Mumbai team, averaged something like 6.50 over 6 games and got injured soon after. According to Himanshu Mody of the ICL, his injury is grave enough to rule out further participation in any form of competitive cricket hereon.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lara signed a contract with the ICL, captained the Mumbai team, averaged something like 6.50 over 6 games and got injured soon after. According to Himanshu Mody of the ICL, his injury is grave enough to rule out further participation in any form of competitive cricket hereon.
:laugh: Wondered about that as soon as I posted - shows how much notice I took I suppose

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The whole thing was disgraceful. It's understandable that India are doing it with so much talent coming through, but to treat Lara like that and then giving guys with FC averages of 20 a go is unforgivable.
Aye.

If Lara had wanted to finish in 2007 that'd have been more than understandable, but the thought that he was pushed out because WI actually wanted to play the likes of Runako Morton is, well, beyond belief really.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Joke firmly on the selectors.