• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piyush Chawla v. Fawad Alam

Fawad Alam v. Piyush Chawla

• Total voters

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my desperate effort to stoke up a proper India v Pakistan debate as India will be Pakistans next serious opposition.

I know Alam is more a batsman with handy legbreaks and Chawla is a quality spinner who just happens to know how to bat therefore I cannot seriously expect a straight comparison of the two.

None the less both appear to be really talented youngsters who have already got a taste of the big time and shown that they do have what it takes to be the leaders of the next generation of cricketers to carry forth this great rivalry and it is that vein I am starting this thread.

Debate away

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fawad being Pakistani obviously has a high chance of his talent being wasted by all the crap that goes-on (more now than ever) in Pakistan cricket. Sad truth of the matter for mine.

Piyush will hopefully achieve his potential. Fawad will need a lot to go his way to do so.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Chawla is more talented but Fawad is a determined character expect him to forge a Collingwood type career.

masterblaster

International Captain
Haven't seen Fawad Alam much, but have heard that he's more of a batting all rounder who is a decent spin bowler while Piyush is primarily a spin bowler who can bat a bit. Bit of an odd comparison, but I've been impressed with Piyush with what I've seen of him.

But it looks like with Amit Mishra having a great debut test that he'll be Kumble's successor for the time at least.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How close is Fawad to being a Test regular? Because Piyush is now well and truly behind Mishra as Kumble's replacement and for varieties sake I could definitely see the selectors using Ojha ahead of him if Harbhajan is unavailable.

Xuhaib

International Coach
How close is Fawad to being a Test regular? Because Piyush is now well and truly behind Mishra as Kumble's replacement and for varieties sake I could definitely see the selectors using Ojha ahead of him if Harbhajan is unavailable.
If Malik starts to open(which he should) then he is the first choice #6.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If that's how it pans out he'll be getting a lot more exposure at the highest level for now. If Pakistan actually get to play some cricket that is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, Mishra seems notably better than Chawla to me so far, though this is admittedly based on not all that much.

Certainly though Mishra in the first-innings at Mohali bowled better than I've ever seen Chawla bowl. Seems to have the ability to spin the ball more than Chawla without losing much (if anything) in accuracy.

How glad I am that Mishra didn't go ICL-ing the way I first thought I'd heard he did.

pup11

International Coach
From whatever i have seen of them both, i would say Chawla >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alam, tbh Alam has never struck me as anything more than an ordinary sla bowler, its almost as if asking is Xavier Doherty is better than Chawla.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Aye, Mishra seems notably better than Chawla to me so far, though this is admittedly based on not all that much.

Certainly though Mishra in the first-innings at Mohali bowled better than I've ever seen Chawla bowl. Seems to have the ability to spin the ball more than Chawla without losing much (if anything) in accuracy.

How glad I am that Mishra didn't go ICL-ing the way I first thought I'd heard he did.
For me Chawla is an improved version of Cameron White, his leggies don't turn much and he has this big turning wrong'un which he overuses the **** out of, now and again bowls a fastish top-spinner too, Mishra is your more old-school leg-spinner, who gives the ball a good rip and at even entices the batsmen by flighting the ball, uses his google as more of a surprise weapon, so he is light years ahead of Chawla as a spinner in terms of control and variations, but having said that Chawla is just 19 so he is far from a finished article.

Xuhaib

International Coach
From whatever i have seen of them both, i would say Chawla >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alam, tbh Alam has never struck me as anything more than an ordinary sla bowler, its almost as if asking is Xavier Doherty is better than Chawla.
I have followed Alam's first class career pretty closely and I feel he is good enough to average 40 in test cricket with the bat, don't let a few odi performances fool you.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
If y memory serves me correct India are due to stage a high profile series against Pakistan early next year. Would be fascinating to see them face off against one another

Nonetheless in the long run I could with some confidence predict that their confrontations on the pitch (for example Chawla's bowling against Alam's batting) could be the defining moments of those Pakistan v. India mathes they both play in

Xuhaib

International Coach
If y memory serves me correct India are due to stage a high profile series against Pakistan early next year. Would be fascinating to see them face off against one another

Nonetheless in the long run I could with some confidence predict that their confrontations on the pitch (for example Chawla's bowling against Alam's batting) could be the defining moments of those Pakistan v. India mathes they both play in
They will turn out to be solid but not world beaters IMO.

Mard

Banned
Piyush is crap in my opnion, ALam is new but he looks much much more talented. In Toronto he did amazing batting and bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Xavier Doherty isn't a batsman who bowls though. I don't think we're being asked to compare them purely on their bowling; Fawad's main strength is his batting.