• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist calls Tendulkar a "Bad Sport"

Precambrian

Banned
Just months back in India, he called Tendulkar the best batsman he's ever seen and was singing paens of his sportsmanship in a TV interview. True colors indeed!

R_D

International Debutant
Honestly who would want to shake hands after than sydney fiasco... i'm assuming he's talking about that game.

Funny thing that only Symmonds and his good mate Hayden heard the M word.... even Gilchrist admits to not hearing it.

Precambrian

Banned
I think it's just to get Free press for his autobiography, much like Tresco did with Murray Mints disclosure. However, I never expected such substandard stuff from Gilly anyway. Now, I've to reconsider my dismissal of Harby's words when he called Gilly was no saint.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just months back in India, he called Tendulkar the best batsman he's ever seen and was singing paens of his sportsmanship in a TV interview. True colors indeed!
To begin with, nowhere in that article does Gilchrist call Tendulkar a "bad sport". That's the title of the article, that's it. What he says is that he changed his story over the monkey thing and that he's "hard to find in the dressing room for a handshake".

I don't really see the contradiction between saying someone is a great batsman and praising their sportsmanship, and criticising their behaviour in a particular situation or pointing out differences in their approach to rituals like an after-match handshake or whatever. The worst criticism levelled at Tendulkar there is that he defended a teammate who did something reprehensible, which seems understandable if Gilchrist does indeed believe that Symonds' side of things with the monkey issue was accurate.

Pretty much a non-issue either way.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
To begin with, nowhere in that article does Gilchrist call Tendulkar a "bad sport". That's the title of the article, that's it. What he says is that he changed his story over the monkey thing and that he's "hard to find in the dressing room for a handshake".

I don't really see the contradiction between saying someone is a great batsman and praising their sportsmanship, and criticising their behaviour in a particular situation or pointing out differences in their approach to rituals like an after-match handshake or whatever. The worst criticism levelled at Tendulkar there is that he defended a teammate who did something reprehensible, which seems understandable if Gilchrist does indeed believe that Symonds' side of things with the monkey issue was accurate.

sounds quite libellous to me....when/how did tendulkar change his story on the monkey thing? i thought his story was pretty consistent throughout...

Precambrian

Banned

Hard to dismiss this as one, considering the accusation is directed at a player who's been hailed all through his career by scribes, mates and foes alike for sportsmanship.

I can understand had this been at Harby or Sreesanth. But Tendulkar? And I agree that the article does not quote GIlly specifically saying "Bad Sport". But it is pretty much the intended meaning, as the header of the article is that!

Regarding the Monkey-gate, Tendulkar has stuck to his story throughout the episode, and funny Gilly resorting to "reading the body language, I was pretty sure Harby knew he'd crossed the line" thingy.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I have only one issue which is :-

"Where was Gilchrist when the whole monkey-gate Investigation took place ? "

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
sounds quite libellous to me....when/how did tendulkar change his story on the monkey thing? i thought his story was pretty consistent throughout...
No idea. I haven't read Gilchrist's book nor do I have any inside information about what went on of my own. All there is to go off is the quoted portion, in which Gilchrist apparently suggests that Tendulkar first said he couldn't hear what Harbhajan said, and then said that Harbhajan didn't call him a monkey but instead something else that sounded like it. Personally I'd be hesitant to judge the specifics of what Gilchrist wrote without reading the book though, these sorts of things are notorious for being taken out of context.

Anyway, the point is merely that Gilchrist didn't call him a bad sport, he said that he thought he went to lengths to "get Harbhajan off" that were unreasonable. Whether you agree or not, I don't think there's an implication of the former in what was quoted. At the absolute most, he'd criticising him with reference to that one incident.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh dear.

Something tells me that SCGgate will rumble on down the years as autobiography after autobiography is published, and that we'll get more ridiculous stuff on pretty much every occasion.

I so, so wish the whole sorry thing had never happened, more so over time not less.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Call it SCGgate if you're going to call it anything. Whole monkey-gate thing is dire and slightly offensive.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
At the absolute most, he'd criticising him with reference to that one incident.
The bad sport reference is for this :- "Sachin Tendulkar, for instance, can be hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Call it SCGgate if you're going to call it anything. Whole monkey-gate thing is dire and slightly offensive.
I am sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone but it was the newspaper that mentioned it as one and I just picked it from there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I am sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone but it was the newspaper that mentioned it as one and I just picked it from there.
Yeah no problems really, just a silly term from a silly article. Hopefully it'll be nipped in the bud before it really develops.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If this is the greatest character flaw people can point to after 19 years of international cricket, that reflects pretty well on Sachin.

Don't mind this either way. Not a big deal.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The bad sport reference is for this :- "Sachin Tendulkar, for instance, can be hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India"
If that is the top and bottom of it then given the general reputations of the two of them it seems to me that the comment is more of an adverse reflection on Gilchrist's sportsmanship than Tendulkar's

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Regarding the Monkey-gate, Tendulkar has stuck to his story throughout the episode, and funny Gilly resorting to "reading the body language, I was pretty sure Harby knew he'd crossed the line" thingy.
No he didnt

Like Harby, he changed it