• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI Wants Ranatunga Dropped

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjuna Ranatunga - fighting a battle he couldn't win.

I never expected to see that.

Presuming all that's true (wouldn't rule-out tomorrow's headline being "Modi: We Never Said We Want Ranatunga Out"), you guess that's the end of Arjuna as SLC's head for now. He'll be back later though I guess.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The BCCI have them by the short and curleys. If they want to get bailed out they have to do what they say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye, been known for quite a while that SLC need the BCCI's help financially.

As I said - baffling that Ranatunga would've tried picking fights with the BCCI. Back as a player, he was expert at fighting causes he knew he could win and leaving be those which he knew would simply damage SL cricket if he tried.

I honestly believed Ranatunga could do good as head of SLC, but now he's got himself hounded-out, frankly, unneccessarily.

You'd imagine this is the BCCI's way of demonstrating their muscle without actually losing SLC's vote, as whoever comes in will be someone who is already sympathetic toward the BCCI.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
You'd imagine this is the BCCI's way of demonstrating their muscle without actually losing SLC's vote, as whoever comes in will be someone who is already sympathetic toward the BCCI.
You mean the BCCI can order another country to cancel a tour and then remove it's chief and still keep their vote? What would they have to do to Sri Lanka to lose it? Invasion?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You mean the BCCI can order another country to cancel a tour and then remove it's chief and still keep their vote? What would they have to do to Sri Lanka to lose it? Invasion?
Well, the BCCI's position is that the relationship was cordial, and BCCI was willing to help out SLC with a $70 million deal, but Ranatunga purposefully said negative things about them, and soured the relationship, so they therefore will not work with him, and it is up to SLC to decide whether a good relationship with India is important.

Whoever comes in, if it does happen that Ranatunga is replaced, will be friendly to BCCI. The issue is not that SLC is against BCCI - it's that one man is.

The SLC player's association likes India and they're the ones that negotiated the $70 million deal. The SLC board likes India, and the sports minister as well. One person (and his supporters) does not.

Mind you, it's still blackmail and they should butt out. But I don't think BCCI are going up against a hostile board or anything like that. The players and most stakeholders do not agree with Ranatunga.

Precambrian

Banned
I think Ranatunga dug his won grave here. He was atrociously stupid enough to suck up to ECB publicly and denounce BCCI. A man at his level should know how to run the administration. I like Ranatunga, but I think he deserved this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah as I said, Ranatunga simply seems to have lost his head (or become too big-headed) and thought he could cure all problems, losing his old ability to choose his fights carefully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I want Daniel Flynn dropped. Clearly I have no business demanding it though.
Yeah on that matter... is there any chance someone could change the title? :p Given players get dropped; CEOs and Chairmen get, well, removed.

"BCCI calls for Ranatunga's resignation" would be better IMO.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The BCCI really are playing the role of pantomime villains superbly aren't they? Deeply, deeply unpleasant stuff.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Murphy's Golden rule:

He who has the gold...

whether BCCI are popular with the majority in SL or not, this is not a nice thing to see happen - sets a poor precedent when blackmail/bribery is so blatant.