• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

...and Lawson goes

Xuhaib

International Coach
Cricinfo staff

October 24, 2008

Geoff Lawson has been removed as coach of Pakistan with immediate effect. He will be given three months advance salary.

Laswon had a meeting with the chairman earlier this afternoon, at which it was decided that a decision would be given to him tomorrow

A PCB spokesperson told Cricinfo, "Geoff Lawson has been removed as coach of Pakistan. As per his clause he has been given three months salary."

masterblaster

International Captain
Really sad news here. One can't help but sympathise with Geoff Lawson. He tried is best and to me he's a bit of a scapegoat.

No more tension for him though as coaching India or Pakistan can be a huge headache and he'll be back in Australia and I'm sure ABC Radio or Fox Sports will snap him up again as a commentator.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great bloke who deserved better. C'mon home Henry! You're expertise will be appreciated here.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Lawson always had some really big shoes to fill replacing Woolmer, and even though things went from bad to worse for Pakistan, none of them he could control, I wasn't entirely impressed with him. Sure some of the players were a bit more fit, but overall the team declined. That said, I have a feeling that xenophobia played a part in Butt's decision.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lawson always had some really big shoes to fill replacing Woolmer, and even though things went from bad to worse for Pakistan, none of them he could control, I wasn't entirely impressed with him. Sure some of the players were a bit more fit, but overall the team declined. That said, I have a feeling that xenophobia played a part in Butt's decision.
Thing about new management is that implementing the change processes necessary isn't something that can be done overnight. New managers need to be evaluated long term rather than whatever improvements you can see immediately and I feel Lawson wasn't afforded that luxury.

pup11

International Coach
Really sad news here. One can't help but sympathise with Geoff Lawson. He tried is best and to me he's a bit of a scapegoat.
No more tension for him though as coaching India or Pakistan can be a huge headache and he'll be back in Australia and I'm sure ABC Radio or Fox Sports will snap him up again as a commentator.
Is that anything new for Pakistani coaches, i am surprised Shoaib Malik has survived as captain for as long as he has, feel bad for Lawson tbh, he has virtually been humiliated by PCB and his coaching capabilities aside, no man deserves to treated like this, no matter how useful or useless you consider him to be, btw i wouldn't be surprised if PCB finds it hard to find another decent coach for their side now.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thing about new management is that implementing the change processes necessary isn't something that can be done overnight. New managers need to be evaluated long term rather than whatever improvements you can see immediately and I feel Lawson wasn't afforded that luxury.
Agree and that's what I meant for my post to read as but it didn't come off right. I didn't think he was doing a good enough job but I think Butt's decision was more of a result of not wanting a gora coach than anything else.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I had suggested that this is what they should do.

What does this man expect from Lawson between now and the end of his contract ? They might as well pay him all his fees in advance and send him home.
After all the nonsense this is the least they could do. It would have been stupid to continue with this relationship.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lawson is such a great bloke. Feel sorry for him, but 3 months advanced salary can't be so bad :D

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How many Tests did he get to prove himself? Five? Ten? Couldn't have been more than that. I don't know how you can base anything off that.

Also, let's be real, if the tragedy didn't happen, Woolmer was on his way to being fired anyway.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
How many Tests did he get to prove himself? Five? Ten? Couldn't have been more than that. I don't know how you can base anything off that.

Also, let's be real, if the tragedy didn't happen, Woolmer was on his way to being fired anyway.
As I said in my second post of the thread, I agree that he wasn't given much of a chance, and even though I don't think he was doing a good enough job I don't agree with the sacking.

As far as Woolmer goes, I'm not sure if he would've been fired or not, Inzamam clearly would've still been made the scapegoat so I think Woolmer may have survived (if he didn't quit that is), but that's beside the point I made that Lawson had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Wonder if it had anything to do with Miandad?. Given Miandad's negative opinion about foreign born coaches ... and his recent appointment as governing body member in the PCB

Xuhaib

International Coach
Can it get any better?

These are Lawson comments

"I have not been told anything even though I had a meeting with the PCB chairman today," Lawson said.