• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist hurt by Warne sledging

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's not really sledging though, that's more a personal attack with on-field sledging being used as the median so it can be excused. As Gilly says, there was obviously an off-field intention/agenda behind that.

I somehow don't think Lee (for eg.) has any animosity or off-field intention when he calls a batsman soft if they duck out of one of his bouncers.

Must admit though, Gilly's autobiography is bugging me already. Steve Waugh's ftw :cool:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would only hurt if there's truth in it (Timmie Zoerher thinks so.....). If someone on the field called me that, I'd have trouble not laughing my head off at them.

Yet again, total non-issue for mine. Blokes in state cricket say much worse to each other. Hell, blokes in grade cricket say worse. I respect Gilchrist for putting it behind him and still being able to work with Warnie for Aus and do well, though.

haroon510

International 12th Man
To be Honest.. i never thought such type of conflicts exist in world champion team like Aus.. but i have to hand it to their profisionalism.. we never heard about any sort of conflicts such as this when they were playing in the field or playing for Aus..

howardj

International Coach
I think Gilly, as much as I love the guy, risks coming off as a bit of a goody two shoes.

For mine, when you appeal when you know batsmen are not out (as he regularly did and, to be fair, most cricketers do) then you make a big man of yourself by being proud of the fact that you walk (only when it suited him, mind you), you risk coming off as a bit of a jackass.

And to make out like every player should leave every incident on the field, just because it is the Australian way, is asking a bit much. Fine if he leaves everything on the field, but some guys do not - and that's their right.

He clearly didn't leave the above incident, at the top of this thread, on the field.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I think Gilly, as much as I love the guy, risks coming off as a bit of a goody two shoes.

For mine, when you appeal when you know batsmen are not out (as he regularly did and, to be fair, most cricketers do) then you make a big man of yourself by being proud of the fact that you walk (only when it suited him, mind you), you risk coming off as a bit of a jackass.

And to make out like every player should leave every incident on the field, just because it is the Australian way, is asking a bit much. Fine if he leaves everything on the field, but some guys do not - and that's their right.

He clearly didn't leave the above incident, at the top of this thread, on the field.
To be fair, if there's one man i'd back to walk when he was out, it'd be Gilly.

Precambrian

Banned
You havent watched cricket prior to 2003 WC surely? Gilly was never a walker prior to WC 2003, I remember him standing his ground in the 2002-03 Ashes.

Top_Cat

You havent watched cricket prior to 2003 WC surely? Gilly was never a walker prior to WC 2003, I remember him standing his ground in the 2002-03 Ashes.
Haha, you're not seriously suggesting Gilly just woke up one day and decided to be a walker? So what if he stood his ground? Just means he didn't think he hit it. He stood his ground in the most recent Ashes series too but that's because he really didn't hit it.

Related but that's the big problem if you're a walker, really. If you stand your ground when you don't think you're out, you're perceived only walking when it suits you and get accused of double standards. Let the umpire do his job, I say.

pup11

International Coach

Tbh Gilly is probably at risk of tarnishing his image by talking all this bull****, he is one of my favourite all-time cricketers but it seems he is apparently not too good when he expressing his views, ok we all know Warne and Gilly always had their problems, but for Gilly to come out and say Warne called me this and he called me that, and it almost killed me, but in the end he adds he still is happy to see him, i mean ffs either you like the guy or you don't, its as simple as that stop being ****in' fence sitter, if Gilly is trying to show that he is such a big saint that even after all what Warne did to him over the years he still is nice enough to forget all that and be happy whenever he sees him , then i am sorry to say, all he is managing to do is make a complete idiot out of himself in public-eye.

Anyways i don't agree with you on the fact that Gilly used to walk wherever it suited him, that's not fair to the man, he always walked whenever he he thought he was out irrespective of the stage or importance of the game, so one can't criticise him in that regard.

pup11

International Coach
Haha, you're not seriously suggesting Gilly just woke up one day and decided to be a walker? So what if he stood his ground? Just means he didn't think he hit it. He stood his ground in the most recent Ashes series too but that's because he really didn't hit it.

Related but that's the big problem if you're a walker, really. If you stand your ground when you don't think you're out, you're perceived only walking when it suits you and get accused of double standards. Let the umpire do his job, I say.
Yeah that's really funny, what Pnottah really seems to be saying here is Gilly should start walking as soon as the opponents start appealing, i mean a guy can only walk when he knows he is out and tbf to Gilly he has walked almost everytime he has nicked it, and sometimes he has also walked when he felt he nicked but when in reality he didn't, so its unfair to accuse him of showing double-standards.

Precambrian

Banned

Hah, everyone in the ground else clearly heard the nick, and the umpire too, he was ruled out. :)

Gilly became a walker only after WC 03. I didnt find any instances earlier when he walked.

And I am never against waiting till the umpire puts his hand up. And I never think Symmo was at mistake when he stood his ground in Sydney, nothing wrong there except with umpire.

But to claim Gilchrist is a saint because he walked always, which he never did, is a farce.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah that's really funny, what Pnottah really seems to be saying here is Gilly should start walking as soon as the opponents start appealing, i mean a guy can only walk when he knows he is out and tbf to Gilly he has walked almost everytime he has nicked it, and sometimes he has also walked when he felt he nicked but when in reality he didn't, so its unfair to accuse him of showing double-standards.
Honey, try and watch the 2002-03 game in which Aus lost, at Sydney. I repeat, the everyone heard the nick, there was this huge deviation to the keeper. And Gilly waited and waited, in vain.

And atleast quote my name correctly. Pnottath.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet again, total non-issue for mine. Blokes in state cricket say much worse to each other. Hell, blokes in grade cricket say worse.
Hell, surprised he got out of High School cricket if he's that sensitive about being called a butt-kiss.

Precambrian

Banned
To be Honest.. i never thought such type of conflicts exist in world champion team like Aus.. but i have to hand it to their profisionalism.. we never heard about any sort of conflicts such as this when they were playing in the field or playing for Aus..
Surely you didn't follow this week's Lee-Ponting spat?

And Warne during his career? Most famously when he called Buchanan a guy to be boarded into the bus and out, or something to that tune.

Top_Cat

Hah, everyone in the ground else clearly heard the nick, and the umpire too, he was ruled out. :)

Gilly became a walker only after WC 03. I didnt find any instances earlier when he walked.

And I am never against waiting till the umpire puts his hand up. And I never think Symmo was at mistake when he stood his ground in Sydney, nothing wrong there except with umpire.

But to claim Gilchrist is a saint because he walked always, which he never did, is a farce.
Believe me, I don't admire Gilly for being a walker. I don't find it an admirable trait. :D

pup11

International Coach
Honey, try and watch the 2002-03 game in which Aus lost, at Sydney. I repeat, the everyone heard the nick, there was this huge deviation to the keeper. And Gilly waited and waited, in vain.

And atleast quote my name correctly. Pnottath.
WTF? Mate save that for your gf or wife, i hope you take care of that in the future....

Anyways, if that was such a huge deviation what was Gilly doing standing there and in case it was such an obvious deviation what took it so long for the umpire to give it out, because as Corey said your theory that Gilly just woke up one day post 2003 WC and decided to walk is just way off the mark in my opinion too.

pup11

International Coach
Hell, surprised he got out of High School cricket if he's that sensitive about being called a butt-kiss.
Haha, but mentioning what was said to him during his high-school cricket days surely won't create the same interest as compared to the things Warne said to him, you see he has got a book to sell there...:ph34r: