• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi vs Harris

Harris vs Afridi

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You are putting together an ODI team and are faced with the choice of taking Chris Harris or Shahid Afridi.

Consider them at their best over the past decade. Who do you pick?

For all of Harris and is accuracy and variation, I cant help but almost hate myself for taking Afridi :shy:

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
If I'm looking for stability in batting then Harry is the choice if I want to bolster the bowling then Afritard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harris >>>>>>>> Afridi in bowling, under pretty well any circumstances.

Harris > Afridi in batting under plenty of circumstances, though every now and then Afridi >>>>>> Harris in batting.

All in all, Harris every time for mine. Due to his balding head and the fact that he's possibly the slowest seamer ever to have any particularly notable long-term success it's often missed that he's one of the best modern ODI all-rounders.

tooextracool

International Coach
Harris is miles ahead of Afridi. It wouldnt be too far fetched to suggest that Harris was one of NZ's best ODI player of the 90s. He was the one who kept the lower middle order together and was responsible for tying the knot when the it came to run chases.

tooextracool

International Coach
All in all, Harris every time for mine. Due to his balding head and the fact that he's possibly the slowest seamer ever to have any particularly notable long-term success it's often missed that he's one of the best modern ODI all-rounders.
Yeah not sure what in the world he bowled, but he did it damn effectively. A cross between a leg break bowler and a medium pace bowler.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha Chris Harris is such a legend. Just let the ball go out of the side of his hand and it did the job.

Was courageous when he batted despite a dislocated shoulder or something vs. Aus.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd easily take Shane Thomson over Shahid Afridi, so for me this really is a non-question. Harris was a massive player in one dayers, and could still be playing now and perform a decent job. Afridi... Well, I'd be slightly worried he'd spend his time teaching the other players how to dance! ;)

pup11

International Coach
Of course Harris, its a bit of no-brainer tbh, Harris might not have the same kind of natural talent like Afridi possesses, but Harris he was a gritty customer, and he was definitely one of those cricketers who gave nothing less than a 100%, whether he batted, bowled or fielded, i think lot of people don't really talk much about this aspect of Harris' game but afaic his fielding was really spectacular, so tbh his fielding itself is good enough for me to pick him ahead of Afridi.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Thought you were referring to Paul Harris at first.

But yeah Harris over Afridi easily even if Afridi was perhaps more of a matchwinner.

Craig

World Traveller
Chris Harris was one of my first childhood cricketing hero's, for the exact reasons TEC and Richard explained. It seemed no matter what, Harris would come and get a half century and then get a few wickets and all would be good.Well that is how it seemed to me when I was 12 years old.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I should probably defend the reasons Id pick Afridi.

Firstly neither Afridi or Harris were/are IMO core players. Not top 4 batsmen, opening bowlers, primary spinner or the wicketkeeper.

They are both non-core, complimentatry, roles players. Harris was especially good at being a reliable force in this role.

However, Id be looking for my core players to be consistent and my complimentary players to offer something different. You can gamble with the complimentary players.

Afridi would be a luxury that could be afforded as he isnt required to perform every game as he is not a core player.

When Afridi plays well his team wins. Id include him (all 100s and fifers have come in wins) as he wouldnt be part of the main gameplan and would therefore be expendable but would be capable of changing a game with bat or ball.

The non-core, complimentatry, roles players do something such as provide balance or provide a slightly different approach or skill. I think Afridi fits the bill perfectly as he gives balance as an 'allrounder', brings ultra aggressive (if failure prone) batting and gives flexibilty in the bating order as he can float and can be used in different situations.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thought you were referring to Paul Harris at first.

But yeah Harris over Afridi easily even if Afridi was perhaps more of a matchwinner.
:)

I can understand why? I didn't think that its not obvious that I was referring to the race between Harris and Afridi

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think afridi's bowling is bit underrated.
He has apretty decent bowling average in both tests and ODI's.

Very close to call but will go for afridi.