• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds should have ‘walked’: Gilchrist

Redbacks

International Captain
Tis why former players opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt! This kind of after the fact conscience is an all to common thing in Australia, make a stand at the time, or don't come out on a moral high horse a year down the track after joining in the celebrations of the win of the test and the series.

Symonds biggest mistake was to tell the Media that night he hit it, and got away with one. Which incensed the Indian cricket team. He should have simply said no comment on the issue, rather than talking up just how much his fortunate decision changed the game.

If someone can define to me, what it means to be 'Out' in cricket, then we can put an end to the walking debate, however no such guideline applies to being caught out, so walking is both nieve and pointless.

"As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.” Albert Einstein

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Here we go again. At this rate I will not need to read Adam Gilchrist's autobiography as it is basically been re-posted on here. Cheers guys.

Anyway I'm out.

~DanVettoriFan~

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It kinda grinds my gears when former players bring up old 'events' especially when one such as this has had so much publicity. Does anyone really care anymore?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's an auto-biography. If he came out and gave a press conference to say Symonds should have walked, it'd be silly. Writing a book about your career and giving your views of past events is standard. It's no different to Warne having a go at Muller in his book or whatever.

Mind you, it'd be nice if the "article" had a quote or something. Also, I don't really see the contradiction described. A lot of people have said that Symonds not walking was fine, but that it was a bit much to basically gloat about it afterwards.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Bit rich telling others that they should walk. That said, if you nick one and stand there, then you should expect to cop it from the opposition.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing more fun than smashing one to the keeper only to remain not out and be called "a ****ing cheat" for the rest of the day. Gets the adreniline going.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It kinda grinds my gears when former players bring up old 'events' especially when one such as this has had so much publicity. Does anyone really care anymore?
Kinda skinny autobiography if you don't talk about stuff that happened to you in the past....

luffy

International Captain
I'm sick of this constant debate about walking.

In my opinion, walking is up to the batter. If he doesn't walk, after the umpire says they are not out, than so be it, the umpire's are there for a reason, and if they say not out, than the batter can choose what he will do.

It's easy for batsmen to say, who do walk, that others should because it's in the spirit of the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If you have written an autobiography and got paid a chunk of cash to do it, then at least state your opinions on matters throughout your career.

If he is being honest about his thoughts on the game (rather than sensationalizing) then fair play.

Better than than reading Steve Waughs 10 000 page dull fest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think we need a "Gilchrist autobiography thread" TBH. We've now got about 4 subjects on the issue, all of which have had some amount of crossover discussion.

Anyway as I've already said (maybe in time in the same thread), gloating about getting away with one is always going to make someone who doesn't try to get away with stuff cringe and I don't think there's anything wrong with Gilchrist saying such a thing.

howardj

International Coach
Nothing more fun than smashing one to the keeper only to remain not out and be called "a ****ing cheat" for the rest of the day. Gets the adreniline going.
Pay that one.

It's funny when you smirk and give a nod to the keeper at the end of the over when he asks you the inevitible:

Did you hit it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even better to have some little cheating bugger nick one and not walk then knock his stumps over shortly afterwards. Had that a few years ago, told the little bugger "gonna wait for the Umpire to give you out for that one??!!!!!!"