• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why did Australia hire Tim Nielsen and Greg Chappell to be their coaches ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim Nielsen is the national coach and Chappell is the academy director.

Both of them were spoken of very poorly as coaches when they were in charge of South Australia in the 1990's.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tim Nielsen was playing throughout the 90s, wasn't he? Anyway, been anointed for a while to take over, and is a very thorough and professional coach.

Interestingly, many people believe that the best coach in Australia is its current head of CA.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno why I'm responding to a obvious troll but hey....

G Chappell couldn't have fixed the endemic problems of SA cricket. Wasn't the friendliest coach to the lesser lights in the team but overall, was okay.

What Jack said is right; TJ was too busy playing in the 90's to be the SA coach.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, never knew James Sutherland was a coach of any repute. ITSTL.

As for Greg Chappell, he's not a good man-manager, I think that's pretty obvious. Not woeful, but he's not good at all, and this is THE most essential thing in a good coach\manager.

Polo23

International Debutant
If you have a great captain then all you need in a coach is a great man-manager. Of course Australia don't have a great captain, so that is irrelevant. But say, the Fleming/Aberhart combination was fantastic, Fleming had pretty much power of the team, and Aberhart was a great man-manager off the field.

Worked wonders for NZ cricket. No idea why Bracewell took over, he has completely undone all the good work of the mid/late 90's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Alternatively, you can say "if you have a great coach, you don't need a particularly good captain".

And given that a captain has to be chosen from your 11 best players if you don't want to weaken your side, whereas a coach can be anyone you offer a good paycheque to, I'd say getting a good coach is more important than getting a good captain.

And NZ's coach in the mid-late-'90s was Steve Rixon, Aberhart was in the early-2000s. And Rixon > Aberhart IMO, as foreign coaches almost always are.

Precambrian

Banned
I think Nielsen is a good coach, but appointment of Greg as a surprise. He did nothing but total damage when he was the coach of Indian Team. A bit of a hard nut.

howardj

International Coach
The springboard for Nelson's appointment was, not his role with South Australia, but his role as Buchanan's assistant in a dam-busting era of Australian cricket (1999-2005). Even better for Nelson, he had clean hands in relation to our Ashes loss in 2005, as he stepped down from his assistant post just before that tour.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, many people believe that the best coach in Australia is its current head of CA.
Tom Moody coaching WA and Punjab.

Heard Sutherland was a decent coach, but Moody clearly the best coach in Australia. Probably the best coach in the world as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tim Nielsen is the national coach and Chappell is the academy director.

Both of them were spoken of very poorly as coaches when they were in charge of South Australia in the 1990's.
Sources? I'm assuming that CA probably spoke to people who had, y'know, actual first hand experience of working with them as coaches and might have had an informed opinion of their abilities as coach.

There's plenty of evidence that Chappell can coach, even if he wasn't the right man for the job in India. And I'm hard pressed to identify what Neilson has done wrong as Australian coach. Having half a dozen of the best test players ever retire (in their mid-to-late 30s) on his watch would be the only thing I can imagine you're talking about.

The overreaction to one test loss, or more broadly, to the natural turnover of a team that has been ridiculously up for a long time, in some quarters is hilarious. Will be even funnier when the Aussies square the series in Delhi... ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, as if he's going to answer 'yes'.
Well you doubt it, but I do see the similarities Geg alluded to now.

Of course, Sal would have no need to duplicate-account, especially if he was just going to do the same thing with both accounts. But it is very strange how similar their behaviour is.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not saying that. It is the first time I have ever heard about Tom Moody is the best coach in the world. Any reasons as to why?
There not that many great coaches running around in International Cricket or full time in domestic cricket. A lot of the International coaches are rookies at that level and haven't had the success he had at International level. Also he had similar sucess to most at domestic level in Australia, India and England.

It is as much to do with lack of any other top line coaches as anything.