• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Professional contracts

undercover

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

I'm writing a school paper about professional sports contracts, and I want to include a bit about cricket players. Does anyone on the forum know much about what kind of contracts players have? Or do we even have some professionals on the forum who could advise?

Right now I presume English county players are contracted for 6 months of the year and then have some kind of retainer for the other 6 months? Although I read recently that teams are asking players to sign twelve month deals, to stop them joining rebel leagues etc.

I guessed that there would be bonus payments for runs scored, wickets taken, catches/stumpings etc? I imagine most deals are sweetened by free company cars etc?

I just wanted to talk about it in a bit more detail than just giving an average salary.

Nick

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can only tell you about the Cricket Australia 25 Contracted Players.

The contracted players are paid a base amount, which is levelled according to a player ranking system decided by CA.

Each contracted player will also receive match fees, tour fees and prize money for on field success.

The list gets updated each year, and if not given a contract in the top 25, they can be offered a State contract.

undercover

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for that. So the centrally contracted players don't get a penny from their states? But they could turn out for them if they didn't get picked for a Test or ODI?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thanks for that. So the centrally contracted players don't get a penny from their states? But they could turn out for them if they didn't get picked for a Test or ODI?
I have a feeling that the players would get a bit of money for each match that they play on top of the contract amount, but I have no idea how much they'd get.

Someone else will probably be able to tell you. :)

Mate check out this page..
http://www.auscricket.com.au/html/s02_article/default.asp?nav_top_id=59&nav_cat_id=139

You will also find State Player Contracts, Tour Contracts, State Match Contracts etc, pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The way it works in Sri Lanka is that the SLC signs their core players for a base fee.

Then they forget about following up on payments and arrange random tours.