• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scyld Berry

neville cardus

International Debutant
Nothing, not even diarrhoea, wretches my guts like historical ignorance. On Cricinfo today, I find Scyld Berry impugning the integrity of Neville Cardus:

Cardus was the assistant professional coach at Shrewsbury school before the First World War. The number one coach was Walter [sic] Attewell, a very modest bowler who played a handful of games for Nottinghamshire. But Cardus turns him into William Attewell who had a very long and distinguished career, for England too, to give his book a greater presence.

As we all know, cricket's Homer was prone to the odd slash of synthetic fancywork, but to suggest that he gave William Attewell anything more than his due is nonsense. Next to Alfred Shaw and Ted Peate, the Notts man was probably the most miserly trundler of the Nineteenth Century. His "handful of games" for his county, played over the course of almost two decades, amounted to 283, in which he took 1,303 wickets at an average of 15.52, with a best of nine for 23. And, believe it or not, he did play for England -- on all of ten occasions, in fact, taking 28 wickets at 22.35. Plainly Berry had him confused for his cousin, who was a modest bowler and did play only a handful of matches for Nottinghamshire, but who, to the best of my knowledge, never came within a mile of Shrewsbury's coaching post.

That a scribe of Berry's standing should make this bloomer is disgraceful, but so riddled with inaccuracy is his work of late that one cannot help but wonder how deserved of that standing he is. In a recent piece for The Torygraph, he writes,

Morgan pointed out that only last month the ICC reaffirmed the primacy of Test cricket with the unanimous agreement of all Full Members. Everyone signed up to the order of priorities, starting with ICC events like the World Cup. In second place come events under the Future Tours Programme: that is, international cricket between Full Members, like the two Tests – at Lord's and Chester-le-Street – which England have contracted to play against Sri Lanka, followed by three one-day internationals, the last on May 30.

"Except," in the words of a poster on another forum of which I am a member, "that Sri Lanka's tour of England is nothing to do with the Future Tours Programme, which is where the problem starts in the first place. If it were part of the FTP it would have been organised far in advance and Sri Lanka's players would not have a valid excuse to duck out."

I'll keep me to Haigh, Atherton and Roebuck henceforth.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Was actually reading English Cricket today, was hard to put it down though loled at the very first line.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Walter/William issue comes from Walter's obituary which appeared in the 1994 Wisden (despite his dying in 1919) - no source is quoted but I am struggling to believe that Matthew Engel would have allowed that story to go into print were its veracity in any doubt.

What irritates me about cricinfo on this, and its not the first time they have done this recently, is that they put up a review of a long out of print book but aren't sufficiently professional to get their grubby mitts on a copy of the first edition to provide the accompanying photograph

neville cardus

International Debutant
The Walter/William issue comes from Walter's obituary which appeared in the 1994 Wisden (despite his dying in 1919) - no source is quoted but I am struggling to believe that Matthew Engel would have allowed that story to go into print were its veracity in any doubt.
Ah, I see. I misinterpreted what he was getting at: sincerest apologies. It is significant, however, that Cricinfo still dubs William the Shrewsbury coach in his profile.

Let's get to the bottom of this, shall we?

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Scyld Berry is an ignorant fool, not to mention a racist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/co...Ross-Taylor-breaks-the-New-Zealand-mould.html

To suggest the New Zealand selectors were not picking players because of the colour of their skin is an absolute disgrace, and simply untrue...not to mention all the other racist ignorance in that article.

It's hardly surprising that one of the most respected cricketers on the planet (Stephen Fleming) described Scyld Berry as a "total idiot".

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Scyld Berry is an ignorant fool, not to mention a racist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/co...Ross-Taylor-breaks-the-New-Zealand-mould.html

To suggest the New Zealand selectors were not picking players because of the colour of their skin is an absolute disgrace, and simply untrue...not to mention all the other racist ignorance in that article.

It's hardly surprising that one of the most respected cricketers on the planet (Stephen Fleming) described Scyld Berry as a "total idiot".
In what way do you say the article is "racist"?

fredfertang

Ah, I see. I misinterpreted what he was getting at: sincerest apologies. It is significant, however, that Cricinfo still dubs William the Shrewsbury coach in his profile.

Let's get to the bottom of this, shall we?
Good idea Rodders - initial research indicates that Laurence Le Quesne, who, as you doubtless know, wrote the definitive pre-Frith history of Bodyline, was History teacher there for years - if he's still alive he'd be 80 so must be a fair chance and he'd be bound to know chapter and verse on this - I have emailed the school for contact details - will keep you informed

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a difference between being racist and acknowledging biological facts, IMO. Though you've got to be careful when doing one as it can easily come accross as the latter, and indeed can become the latter if you don't think carefully about what you're saying.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I have to say that the racism of the article passed me by completely. Would be interested to see if I get the clarification I invited.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Good idea Rodders - initial research indicates that Laurence Le Quesne, who, as you doubtless know, wrote the definitive pre-Frith history of Bodyline, was History teacher there for years - if he's still alive he'd be 80 so must be a fair chance and he'd be bound to know chapter and verse on this - I have emailed the school for contact details - will keep you informed
Any relation of Sir Godfray Le Quesne QC?

thierry henry

International Coach
fmd, that article about Taylor is disgusting

To say that Adams and Tuffey were not selected on racial grounds is just bewildering. Also, to say Tuffey didn't play much cricket after 2001/02...wtf, he played most of his test cricket after that, became arguably NZ's best bowler, but then suffered major injury setbacks and a concomitant loss of form on his return...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's a difference between being racist and acknowledging biological facts, IMO. Though you've got to be careful when doing one as it can easily come accross as the latter, and indeed can become the latter if you don't think carefully about what you're saying.

So you have to think very carefully when being racist as it can easily come across as acknowledging biological facts? I must remember that one.

fredfertang

I suppose this bit is open to the unfortunate interpretation

It may say a bit about New Zealand's former integration policies that Tuffey, Adams and Parore all joined the "rebel" Indian Cricket League.
Could it be taken to mean that there used to be some sort of quota system that's now gone?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you have to think very carefully when being racist as it can easily come across as acknowledging biological facts? I must remember that one.
No, you have to think very carefully about what you're writing when you're acknowledging biological facts, as it can easily come across as being racist.

thierry henry

International Coach

Could it be taken to mean that there used to be some sort of quota system that's now gone?
lol quota system

It boggles the mind how he manages to group together Parore (who retired 7 years ago!), Tuffey (who joined the ICL because no IPL team would want him) and Adams (who is West Indian ffs!).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

It could be taken to mean that, but there wasn't any such quota system. Quite simply, the majority of the Maori population have never really taken to cricket as a sport. There's no real reason for that, although (to err in using a sweeping generalisation) young Maori guys tend to prefer to contact sports.

Polo23

International Debutant
Well I have to say that the racism of the article passed me by completely. Would be interested to see if I get the clarification I invited.
He is trying to suggest the white people who head NZC are trying to force the Maori/Polynesians out and are deliberately not picking them. How is that not racist?