• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Tahir the answer to south africa's spinner problems ?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Think Paul Harris is good enough. Reputation in these parts has suffered from ordinary tours of England and India, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tahir looks to have a lot more about him as a bowler. Good control and variation. He played in one of the very rare first-class games that Sky carry this (English) summer and he ran through the Notts tail like a dose of salts. His googly is seemingly very hard to pick.

He's serious about playing for the Proteas too because he played as a proper overseas player (I know, I'm as surprised as you!) rather than as a Kolpak which, with his SA passport from his wife, he could've done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We'll only see when we see. Tahir certainly appears to be a much-improved bowler from what he was a couple of years ago and for most of his career, but will he be international-class? He's certainly earnt the right to try, but wristspin is notoriously difficult. I won't be taking anything for granted.

If Paul Harris can't even take advantages of turning pitches any more, though, there's absolutely no good reason why he should be playing.

grapedo

Banned
We'll only see when we see. Tahir certainly appears to be a much-improved bowler from what he was a couple of years ago and for most of his career, but will he be international-class? He's certainly earnt the right to try, but wristspin is notoriously difficult. I won't be taking anything for granted.

If Paul Harris can't even take advantages of turning pitches any more, though, there's absolutely no good reason why he should be playing.
yeah I agree with you there Paul harris is a tweaker I think you need a wrist spinner who turns it more to test the better players of spin such as Australia and India harris may get great flight and variation but i think he will benefit more in the one day version of the game if anytihn

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'd be eternally shocked if Tahir is not >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paul Harris.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be eternally shocked if Tahir is not >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paul Harris.
I'd be a bit surprised, but it's like the Ashley Giles vs Chris Schofield question really. Yes, Tahir currently seems far better than Schofield, but let's not forget that Schofield has had his good times in domestic cricket as well.

However, clearly Giles was a far better Test bowler than Schofield ever was or was ever remotely likely to be.

Uppercut

I'd be a bit surprised, but it's like the Ashley Giles vs Chris Schofield question really. Yes, Tahir currently seems far better than Schofield, but let's not forget that Schofield has had his good times in domestic cricket as well.

However, clearly Giles was a far better Test bowler than Schofield ever was or was ever remotely likely to be.
Hum, well if you're going to pick a spinner in all conditions, as SA seem keen on doing, Tahir will be effective on a lot more pitches in this era than Harris will. Unless his bowling completely goes to pieces.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, Imran Tahir >>> Harris easily on non-turning surfaces, even if both of them were to turn-out poor. However, I live in hope that SA will stop wasting a place with a fingerspinner on non-turning surfaces, so in effect I'd be comparing the worth of Harris on a turner with Imran Tahir under all circumstances (as a general good rule with wristspinners is: you pick them always, or not at all).

Uppercut

Oh, yeah, Imran Tahir >>> Harris easily on non-turning surfaces, even if both of them were to turn-out poor. However, I live in hope that SA will stop wasting a place with a fingerspinner on non-turning surfaces, so in effect I'd be comparing the worth of Harris on a turner with Imran Tahir under all circumstances (as a general good rule with wristspinners is: you pick them always, or not at all).
Harris gets turn out of less surfaces than most finger spinners. Tahir would know his luck was out if he played instead of Harris on every surface that wasn't a big turner :D

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Harris took 12 wickets against the Eagles this week outbowling Tahir. I doubt he's going to give up his place that easy. It's a good predicament for SA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt anyone's ever going to be giving-up their place. It's a question of doing enough to show you still merit that place ahead of someone else.

Looks like Harris has certainly started the season in stronger form than Tahir, but it's next season that's going to count as SA's Test season has finished before Tahir becomes available for them.

Tahir of course has always been a pretty moderate OD bowler.

manali

Banned
Tahir will make Harris fight for his spot so its only good for SA but is there any quota for asian based players in SA team??

Uppercut

Tahir will make Harris fight for his spot so its only good for SA but is there any quota for asian based players in SA team??
Correct me if i'm wrong, but for the purposes of quotas, doesn't Tahir count as white?

Marius

International Debutant
He's serious about playing for the Proteas too because he played as a proper overseas player (I know, I'm as surprised as you!) rather than as a Kolpak which, with his SA passport from his wife, he could've done.
Tahir may have SA residency, but its possible he doesn't have an SA passport yet, so he would have played as a Pakistani in the CC, precluding him from playing as a Kolpak.

He has said that he wants to play for SA when he qualifies as a SAn next year though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Considering his county performances for Hampshire, he should be.
Not really, no-one should be picked based on half a season, however good it was.

Tahir should play for SA based on what he does for his SAn franchise.