• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs sent home...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Needs to spend time with Lee tbh. Lee's handled his divorce so maturely. Best guy.

pup11

International Coach

Craig

World Traveller
Yep, career over for mine. Quit while he is ahead and nick off to the ICL for a spell.

Pretty sad how things have ended up for him, but he does have a history with this sort of behaviour. He obviously has a lot of problems so I wish him well in dealing with that.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Already well paid at an IPL club and apparently spent most of the tournament in various Hotel bars around the country.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yep, career over for mine. Quit while he is ahead and nick off to the ICL for a spell.
He's on the roster for the Deccan Chargers. They might need him next season if the Mumbai Indians manage to poach Rohit Sharma (as the reports say they're trying) off them next season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really all that surprising, he's always been less-than-sensible.

Hope retirement goes well for him. :)

grapedo

Banned
Well lets look back on his great career. Best innings was the one in the 400 game IMO. But lets hope ontong can hold his end so the middle oreder dosen't get exposed to the new ball.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good career Gibbs.

I will remember him mostly for his last ball in International Cricket when Syed Rasel produced a brilliant ball which was edged onto the stumps. What a guy - Syed.

I do hope he recovers, on his day he was lethal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gibbs was always one of my favourite players. Definition of when he was on he was brilliant, but when he was off he could be horrible.

Bit of a dickhead at times too.

But at the end of the day, for me his legacy will not be his match-fixing controversy, his other indiscretions or his poor form near the end of his career, but always his unbelievable 175 in the 434 ODI chase at the Wanderers.

I've never seen a guy more in his zone (didn't watch Astle's fastest double ton live)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Astle's knock >>>>>>>>>>>> Gibbs' TBF, and Gibbs' was fantastic even before Bracken dropped that sitter which allowed it to end-up bigger still.

I couldn't fail to enjoy that 175, along with all the other SAfrican knocks that insane innings, obviously, but for me most of Gibbs' best moments came much earlier - 1999/2000, for instance, and 2001/02 and 2002/03.

As for Gibbs at large, well, there's no denying IMO that he was something of a flat-track bully - the inswinger and outswinger would usually cause him problems, and he wasn't the best player of the turning ball either. However, when he got in on a flat pitch, watch-out if you were a bowler, kick-back and enjoy if you were a spectator - he was a sensational sight, the apparent ease of his strokeplay far better for my money than the speed he scored at - the way he just put the bat there and it so often hit the middle. He had the best of the Worlds of Gower and Richards combined when he was on-song on a flat deck and a non-swinging ball. The fact that he was usually get-out-able should either of those not be present doesn't change that at all, even if it does mean he was far from a player of the highest class.

Also, I've often wondered what'd have happened had he never been asked to open. Would things have been better or less good? I don't think anyone can really know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Worse" doesn't really sum-up what I meant, however. Hence I made the conscious decision not to use said word.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Astle's knock >>>>>>>>>>>> Gibbs' TBF, and Gibbs' was fantastic even before Bracken dropped that sitter which allowed it to end-up bigger still.
Yeah I wasn't really talking about the quality of the knock, but more that I've never in my time watching cricket ever thought that "this guys is just on, anything he touches turns to gold" more than Gibbs in that knock.

I imagine that had I been watching Astle's knock live (I've only ever seen DVD highlights), I would have said the exact same thing, and probably more-so.

To elaborate further, I think most would agree that Brian Lara's 153* in 99 vs. Australia was a better innings than Astle's 222 vs. England, but I think Astle can be described as 'more in the zone'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess it probably was, as Astle's was conventional only for just over half of it (the last 100 runs or so he really was doing little more than looking to whack it, though he was never swinging blindly), whereas Lara's was throughout an innings which had as its aim to win the game. Which, of course, it did, though had Healy taken the chance with 7 needed to win, it wouldn't have. It'd barely have been less brilliant for not doing though.

I've never seen a batsman look less like playing a false stroke, though, than Astle did that innings in 2001/02. And given the amount the ball was moving and the number of expansive strokes he was playing, that's truly astonishing. I watched just about every ball of the innings as it unfolded and I've never seen anything even remotely like it.

The only innings I'd feel confident contained less errors was Bradman's 254, the one where he said every shot went exactly where he aimed it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
He will be back.. We're picking guys like Ontong and Bosman.. There's definitely still room for a Hersch on mineral water..

Wisch him the best of luck

pup11

International Coach
So who is going to be his replacement, Amla or are they gonna give Van Wyk another go.