• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds this time crosses the line

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
MELBOURNE: After Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting, it is now Andrew Symonds' turn to reopen the old wounds of "monkey-gate" claiming he was
****sure of Harbhajan Singh first calling him "monkey" in Mumbai last year before the Indian offie's alleged repeat of the same abuse in Sydney three months later.

Writing in his book 'Roy on the Rise: A Year of Living Dangerously', co-authored with Stephen Gray and to hit the stands tomorrow, Symonds also questioned judge John Hansen's decision to downgrade suspension of Harbhajan though he conceded his behaviour exacerbated the situation.

"Whether it was Aussies suck or Aussies are a---holes, it was clear who the villains were in this stadium (Wankhede)," Symonds writes about the day he said the monkey chants started in Mumbai on October 17, 2007 during the seventh and last ODI.

"The monkey chants were around too. Although some people in authority were aware that it was getting out of hand, others continued to hide behind the line that it was all a cultural misunderstanding and that the chants were merely celebrating the monkey god.

"Our team couldn't hide this disbelief at this - 'What particular God is called a---hole in this country?'
"The frustration levels in the camp were rising and I was conscious of contributing to the pressure on the team. It was another turbulent match. I was out for a first-ball duck. I trudged off, getting darker at the world by the second as monkey chants boomed out around Wankhede Stadium," Symonds said, according to excerpts which appeared in 'Herald Sun'.

"Things took a sharp turn for the worse during the Indian innings. Harbhajan and I locked horns briefly in the 35th over and that's when he chucked the 'monkey' word at me. I didn't have to be Einstein to work out what he was referring to."

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3689863.cms

If he is indeed referring to Lord Hanuman and these comments are correct ,then he should be banned from entering India.
And somebody should sue him.

krkode

State Captain
If he is indeed referring to Lord Hanuman and these comments are correct ,then he should be banned from entering India.
And somebody should sue him.
Don't be ridiculous.

He was referring to the fact that Australians have been called a--holes and monkeys at the same time prompting him to question people's claim that the "monkey chants" were used with respect to Lord Hanuman and not as an insult to him.

Which frankly, I have a hard time believing as well. I'm fairly sure if the crowd was chanting "monkey" or whatnot, that they were doing it to get Symonds worked up and NOT in reference to Lord Hanuman.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA.

Cevno you're a fine poster but in this instance you've leapt to a misinterpretation of what Symonds is saying.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is that he is sarcastically saying that people in India are call gods such deregatory terms.

Yes someone could have explained to him that the acting like a monkey by the crowd was a tribute to lord hanuman wrongly ,but the quote sarcastically poking fun at a whole country based on that the whole country calls its calls its gods derogatory terms is disgusting.

It is almost like harbhajan writing in his book,that when he heard symonds was offended by the word monkey ,"the whole team was in disbelief, we could not believe that there was someone who would get upset at being called a god.We thought that"what kind of country is this were gods are considered deregatory?"
By the way i am pretty sure that in australia bhajji would have been called more deregatory terms than a-___hole and i am pretty sure that aussies would be offended if compared them calling him or the team that to them saying it to our gods.

Even the mere suggestion that implies calling lord hanuman those gerogatory terms is unacceptable and should be condemned.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With a book to sell it's in Symonds interests to perpetuate this nonsense which is a pity.

For what its worth I agree with Mr Z and krkode but I have little doubt that Symonds will be quite happy for controversy to be fuelled by others sharing Cevno's views as to the right interpretation of what has been published in his name

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If people want to insult religion, I'm all for it. :D

But seriously, that's not what he meant. You are misunderstanding what he is saying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With a book to sell it's in Symonds interests to perpetuate this nonsense which is a pity.

For what its worth I agree with Mr Z and krkode but I have little doubt that Symonds will be quite happy for controversy to be fuelled by others sharing Cevno's views as to the right interpretation of what has been published in his name
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised.

Amazed CA have allowed this TBH. Writing a book during your career is rarely a good idea; writing one containing much reference to controversial subject matter is plain idiocy. Not something Symonds is averse too, but you'd imagine someone from CA could've seen the dangers and realised that they don't need to be trying to put out yet more fires.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is that he is sarcastically saying that people in India are call gods such deregatory terms.

Yes someone could have explained to him that the acting like a monkey by the crowd was a tribute to lord hanuman wrongly ,but the quote sarcastically poking fun at a whole country based on that the whole country calls its calls its gods derogatory terms is disgusting.

It is almost like harbhajan writing in his book,that when he heard symonds was offended by the word monkey ,"the whole team was in disbelief, we could not believe that there was someone who would get upset at being called a god.We thought that"what kind of country is this were gods are considered deregatory?"
By the way i am pretty sure that in australia bhajji would have been called more deregatory terms than a-___hole and i am pretty sure that aussies would be offended if compared them calling him or the team that to them saying it to our gods.

Even the mere suggestion that implies calling lord hanuman those gerogatory terms is unacceptable and should be condemned.

Swervy

International Captain

this seems to be going even further over your head

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This whole thing is plain bizarre.

Cevno, you'd really be best served not commenting on the monkey connotations issue. You just seem to get the wrong end of the stick every time.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If people want to insult religion, I'm all for it. :D

But seriously, that's not what he meant. You are misunderstanding what he is saying.
I really want to think that he meant it in a way to express real disbelief .

But if he wanted to do that he could have wrote that "We did not believe this,as we knew we were certainly being not called gods"

But his quote that-
"Our team couldn't hide this disbelief at this - 'What particular God is called a---hole in this country?'

Is deliberately sensationalistic and ignorant.It is almost deliberately sarcastic as to insinuate in a ignorant sort of way "that what kind of country is this,or what kind of god is this" which is really disgusting.

The whole team may have been called a___holes ,but It is not as if somebody would have explained to him that those terms were meant as a celebration of god,If somebody did then he should show some balls and name him/her.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
I really want to think that he meant it in a way to express real disbelief .

But if he wanted to do that he could have wrote that "We did not believe this,as we knew we were certainly being not called gods"

But his quote that-

Is deliberately sensationalistic and ignorant.It is almost deliberately sarcastic as to insinuate in a ignorant sort of way "that what kind of country is this,or what kind of god is this" which is really disgusting.

The whole team may have been called a___holes ,but insinuating those terms with the kind of monkey dance being done,and the wrong explanation given for that is also unfortunate.
It is not as if somebody would have explained to him that those terms were meant as a celebration of god,If somebody did then he should show some balss and name him/her.
your replies make less and less sense each time I try and read them. Maybe I am tired, and its me missing the point....but I am still certain that you just havent grasped it yet.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cevno, I'd suggest you re-read krkode's explanation which in my view (and I think everyone else's) is spot-on.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't be ridiculous.

He was referring to the fact that Australians have been called a--holes and monkeys at the same time prompting him to question people's claim that the "monkey chants" were used with respect to Lord Hanuman and not as an insult to him.

Which frankly, I have a hard time believing as well. I'm fairly sure if the crowd was chanting "monkey" or whatnot, that they were doing it to get Symonds worked up and NOT in reference to Lord Hanuman.
He does not say anywhere that the monkey chants were along with the chants of aussie suck or aussies are a_____holes.

But i again reiterate my point that nobody would have given him an explanation that thos terms were celebration of god.If somebody has name them,and i believe under indian law he could be tried too.

Swervy

International Captain
He does not say anywhere that the monkey chants were along with the chants of aussie suck or aussies are a_____holes.

But i again reiterate my point that nobody would have given him an explanation that thos terms were celebration of god.If somebody has name them,and i believe under indian law he could be tried too.
read it again:

"The monkey chants were around too. Although some people in authority were aware that it was getting out of hand, others continued to hide behind the line that it was all a cultural misunderstanding and that the chants were merely celebrating the monkey god.

read it slowly...and then see if you get it

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to the 21st Century - the age of state blasphemy laws - sometimes I despair at the human race and often I despair about religion

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
read it again:

read it slowly...and then see if you get it
The monkey chants were arround too,somebody explained that these chants were in celebration of a monkey god.
Where does the term a_______hole come from.Who explained to him that those terms were celebrating a god?

It is deliberately assocaited in a sarcastic and sensationalist way as i have already explained.He could have said that in a different way as i said in my previous post if you could comprehend preoperly.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome to the 21st Century - the age of state blasphemy laws - sometimes I despair at the human race and often I despair about religion
It is fine that you do not feel strongly towards religion,or feel insulting religion or gods is fine.Even i believe sometimes such laws could go over the top if intrepreted incorrectly.
But Poking fun at faiths of millions of people who worship Lord Hanuman by associating such derogatory terms is not on.As i have said previously it could have been easily avoided but has been wrote in a sensationalist,sarcastic and ignorant way.