• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Polly's Successor

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
With Polly gone, there's a gaping hole in the SA squad which is Steyn's partner in taking the new ball and bowl tightly. Arthur indicated he wasn't going to open with Morne because of the risk of going for runs.

Johan Louw has been tried and looks wanting. Zondeki is terrible.

Who should it be?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With Polly gone, there's a gaping hole in the SA squad which is Steyn's partner in taking the new ball and bowl tightly. Arthur indicated he wasn't going to open with Morne because of the risk of going for runs.

Johan Louw has been tried and looks wanting. Zondeki is terrible.

Who should it be?
Is this about Tests? Ntini unquestionably if so, IMO.

Much harder question in ODI cricket - certainly not Louw though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, in ODIs Id have more faith in Morkel rather than Steyn.

Id probably go with both.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You will not get another Shaun Pollock any time in the immediate future. Pollock is without question for mine the greatest ODI player of the modern era (he's got a pretty decent case for being the best bowler full-stop of the modern era, without the consideration of his skill with the bat) and there may never be his like again in the shorter game.

Bowlers of his parsimony are precious rare, less still bowlers who can be as lethal under the right circumstances.

SA need to realise that they cannot expect anyone to fill his shoes, same way Australia can't expect anyone to fill McGrath's or Warne's.

However, the second-best Test bowler in SA right now is a worrying question. There's no-one apart from Steyn who's not either not good enough yet or not seriously on the decline. Less still, there's no-one who offers even pretty decent control - as I say, Pollock-esque would be an unrealistic expectation, but SA could badly do with a bowler like Craig Matthews right now, who can keep a lid on things without offering no threat at all.

SA's ODI bowling looks exceptionally weak currently. Ntini isn't quite finished yet there, I hope. But Steyn is horrible in ODIs, Morkel isn't much better, Nel has never been as good as he could have been, Louw is clearly well short of international standard and should never even have been in the frame. And it goes on.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
SA's ODI bowling looks exceptionally weak currently. Ntini isn't quite finished yet there, I hope. But Steyn is horrible in ODIs, Morkel isn't much better, Nel has never been as good as he could have been, Louw is clearly well short of international standard and should never even have been in the frame. And it goes on.
Yep. If Botha is your top wicket taker of 2008, then you know something's amiss.

I know Polly is almost irreplaceable with regard to allround ability, but that role that Arthur is looking for of bowling tightly in the opening overs can still be fulfilled by someone, especially since SA is filled with fast-medium bowlers who try bowl line and length.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Lets not just mention Pollock going.

18 months ago coming into the 2007 World Cup SA were possibly the best team in the World.

Look at the team that lost the WC semi. SA have lost 5 of their 6 main bowlers from then

Pollock, Hall and Kemp no longer play International cricket.
Langeveldt and Nel are on the decline.
Only Kallis remains.

It isnt easy to rebuild from scratch.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
However, the second-best Test bowler in SA right now is a worrying question. There's no-one apart from Steyn who's not either not good enough yet or not seriously on the decline. Less still, there's no-one who offers even pretty decent control - as I say, Pollock-esque would be an unrealistic expectation, but SA could badly do with a bowler like Craig Matthews right now, who can keep a lid on things without offering no threat at all.
I wouldn't say Morkel isn't good enough yet. They're obviously hoping for big improvements, particularly with his accuracy, but as a first-change bowler he's already test class at the minute i'd say. Compare with who other country's third pacer is and it isn't a big concern, he's around the same level as Johnson, better than any Indians outside Ishant and Zaheer, better than Tanvir, better than Daren Powell, better than Iain O'Brian, better than any Sri Lankan outside Malinga or Vaas (although why would they ever choose to play another one). Only England, who bring on Flintoff first change, have someone better than Morne Morkel as their third quick.

pup11

International Coach
When i read the title of the thread i thought it has something to do with who South Africa' next all-rounder should be, but AFAIC the most sensible choice given the options they have has to be Morkel, he should open the bowling with Styen in the ODI', i think Arthur has every reason to worry as in the current South African bowling line-up there aren't any bowlers who can keep a check on the runs, they are really missing the genius of Pollock imo, and great bowlers like Pollock are not easy to replace either.

HMas

U19 12th Man
The kolpak guy in kent county,forgot his name was supposed to be Pollock replacement. When can he be allowed back to SA??any body knows:unsure:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Some commentator during the first ODI against Kenya pointed out that Kenya had more top 100 rated ODI bowlers on the field than S.A. Not that the attack was better but it will certainly take a while for the young'ens (whomever they may be) to become a potent attack but they soon will

Langeveldt

Soutie
There should at least be a pecking order that should look something like this..

1. M Morkel
2. M Ntini
3. L Tsotobe
4. D du Preez
5. A Nel
6. C Langeveldt (if around)
7. R McLaren (ditto)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There should at least be a pecking order that should look something like this..

1. M Morkel
2. M Ntini
3. L Tsotobe
4. D du Preez
5. A Nel
6. C Langeveldt (if around)
7. R McLaren (ditto)
du Preez would have the same issues McLaren would. Ie a Kolpak contract he would have difficulty getting released from.

Where does a young guy like Juan Theron fit it? I dont know much about him

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
du Preez would have the same issues McLaren would. Ie a Kolpak contract he would have difficulty getting released from.

Where does a young guy like Juan Theron fit it? I dont know much about him
Takes lots of wickets but has a terrible action. He's a big fellow but falls away badly with his action which compromises his height advantage. Huge potential though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Du Preez pulled out of playing against Kenya and Bangladesh because he didn’t want to jeopardise a Kolpak contract with Leicestershire. He would rather play division two cricket against Glamorgan than face Australia, that’s some ambition and faith in your ability.