• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The rise and rise of Australia

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I posted this
Anyway, I think it's time for an *Official* "The Rise Of Australia" thread TBH. The story of Australia's rise to the top (as well as their preceding lull at the bottom) is as fascinating a one as the current are-they-aren't-they one of the decline.
a little while ago and was going to start a thread. Then it occurred to me: why not write an article about it instead?

It turned-out to require so many words that it actually needed 2 articles. So here's part one. Looking at Australia between 1989 and 2006/07, and who it was that made them so good. Trying, in doing so, to avoid repeating tired and often plain wrong cliches like "Border stopped the losing, then Taylor started the winning".

Not sure how many CWers are interested in anything before their era of watching, but if you are, please give a read.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting timing. I personally would have liked James to prevent this article from being published because all it will do is hurt feelings.

:p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think your avatar will hurt many feelings, and bi should have been refused permission to give it you...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally.. I felt the old line up of Taylor, Slater, Boon, M Waugh, S Waugh, Jones, Healy, Warne, McGrath, McDermott, Reiffel was amongst the best..... :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're not the only one, not at all.

I reckon, had McDermott and Hughes not suffered the injuries they did in 1993, the side of 1993/94 could easily have been the best there was. It was Border rather than Jones in the batting though. First line-up was Marsh, Taylor, Boon, Border, Jones, one of the Waughs, Healy; then it was Taylor, Slater, Boon, M Waugh, Border, S Waugh, Healy. And the bowling didn't quite come together in the above way.

I actually mention this in part two though, so maybe I should leave it for now though. :p