• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Innings by top batsmen?

Mard

Banned
What do you think are the best innings of top batsmen through out history???

I will start with Brian Lara

I think his best Test innings was this, a truly heroic innings : 153* in 1999 against Australia: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63839.html

I think his best ODI inning was this 169 against Sri Lanka in 1995 : http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/65863.html

^ I remember watching this game live, man what a treat it was to watch Lara destroy sri lankan bowling

Again this is my opinion, you guys are free to post what ever you want

gunner

U19 Cricketer
not the best ever but one pops to mind is saeed anwars 194 and also his 188 vs india in chennai

krkode

State Captain
Since my favorite batsman, Tendulkar, is already well-represented, I guess I will put a shout out to a fellow Hyderabadi - VVS Laxman's 281 is a solid knock. Don't know if he's considered a top batsman, but at least he produced a handful of top knocks in his career that most top batsmen would be jealous of. Not only was it just a really big score, but it was scored under difficult circumstances - India had just lost the first test in 3 days and were asked to follow on in this game. Not to detract from others who contributed, though. Couldn't have been possible without Dravid and Harbhajan. It also happened to end Australia's 16-match winning streak.

Interestingly, it is India again that thwarted Australia's second 16-match winning streak under Ponting. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's 150 odd, day 5 of the 3rd Ashes Test 2005.

His knock in the 2003 WC final was great as well.

Roy Fredricks 160 odd v Lillee & Thommo at Perth in 1975-76 has to be one of the best for courage and audacity in the face of something pretty scary.

bagapath

International Captain
viv richards

ODIs - 184 n.o. vs england in 1984
Tests - 120 vs pakistan in 1980

Graham gooch

Tests 154 vs WI in 1991
ODIs - 117 vs Ind in 1987

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
how can u miss that hundred at Chennai on a 5th day pitch against Wasim and Saqlain????? Easily his best test hundred, for me.. Others were falling like nine pins and he never looked like getting out.. Was so so solid out there...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stan McCabe - 187 v England 1932-33, or 232 v England 1938.

Never really succeeded in ODIs though. :ph34r:

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
how can u miss that hundred at Chennai on a 5th day pitch against Wasim and Saqlain????? Easily his best test hundred, for me.. Others were falling like nine pins and he never looked like getting out.. Was so so solid out there...
A close miss, discounted by the slight thing that Tendulkar could not get the team to win. Not his entire fault. Heroic it was.

kingkallis

International Coach
Jacques Kallis :

Tests - 101 against Australia [ His 1st hundred ]
ODIs - 113 against Sri Lanka [ 1st ICC champions trophy ]
-------------
Mike Atherton's 185 against South Africa [ Test ]
Azhar's 103 against New Zealand [ Test ]
Sachin's 143 against Australia [ ODI ]
Gary Kirsten's 210 against England [ Tests - Boucher also scored a ton in the same game to save South Africa ]

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
Chris Martin's 12

Absolutely epic innings. How he got through the nervous nines was beyond me.