• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Gloveman - McCullum, Parore or Smith

Wicket-keeping alone -McCullum, Parore or Smith

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All this talk of wicket-keepers in the Duminy thread got me thinking, who's the best of Brendon McCullum, Adam Parore & Ian Smith - purely on keeping alone

_Ed_

He was, but I believe the gap is shrinking. McCullum is improving all the time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Smith. An extremely tidy and consistent keeper against all manner of NZ bowlers in the 1980s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
McCullum is surprisingly impressive really, though I still think Parore was better.

Obviously never actually watched Smith keep and haven't even seen any real highlights (wicketkeeping isn't something given to compiled highlights packages) but he's always been talked of in the highest regard.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith for me, always rated him very highly. Would have him behind only Wadsworth as keeper in an All Time NZ XI.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Smith for me, always rated him very highly. Would have him behind only Wadsworth as keeper in an All Time NZ XI.
Hmm don't think Smith or Wadsworth can be risked in an NZ ATXI given that you think the Kiwis would need all the batting strenght possible.

Turner
Dempster/Wright - if Dempster fails of course
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Taylor
Bond

Strongers All-time XI lower-order, second only to the South Africans.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If we had an all-time XI lineup with that batting strength, the keeper's batting ability would not matter. And the question was best gloveman purely on keeping alone, not best wicketkeeper-batsman. Try reading the thread properly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If we had an all-time XI lineup with that batting strength, the keeper's batting ability would not matter. And the question was best gloveman purely on keeping alone, not best wicketkeeper-batsman. Try reading the thread properly.

In fairness to aussie it was The Sean who steered the thread in that direction - though he does have a fettish for inadequate keepers who might score a run or two more than the vastly superior keeper.

The answer to the question is Smith.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm don't think Smith or Wadsworth can be risked in an NZ ATXI given that you think the Kiwis would need all the batting strenght possible.

Turner
Dempster/Wright - if Dempster fails of course
Sutcliffe
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid
Cairns
McCullum
Hadlee
Taylor
Bond

Strongers All-time XI lower-order, second only to the South Africans.
I'd actually have Wadsworth in my team and batting at 10, after a 6-7-8-9 of Reid, Cairns, Hadlee, Vettori. Which I think is a strong enough lower order to have the best keeper in Wadsworth.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
In fairness to aussie it was The Sean who steered the thread in that direction - though he does have a fettish for inadequate keepers who might score a run or two more than the vastly superior keeper.
Ha ha, do I? :laugh: Not someting I would have associated with myself but maybe my posting history will give me away.

Or have I just misunderstood and you're talking about aussie?

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LMAO. Rather you should properly read my post properly.

Secondly NZ All-time batting strenght is very good no doubt. But it isn't fantastic like the other nations. So there comes the case where at the hypothetical All-time XI's match-ups scenario the NZ All-time are likely to show similar traits to the side of the 80s & Fleming's bunch circa 99-2001.

Theirfore having McCullum in the team ahead of Smith/Parore makes the side stronger.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness to aussie it was The Sean who steered the thread in that direction - though he does have a fettish for inadequate keepers who might score a run or two more than the vastly superior keeper.The answer to the question is Smith.
Nah, all about team balance. My counteracion will be to say you definately under-rate the keeping abilities of Stewart & McCullum if you consider them "inadequate".

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd actually have Wadsworth in my team and batting at 10, after a 6-7-8-9 of Reid, Cairns, Hadlee, Vettori. Which I think is a strong enough lower order to have the best keeper in Wadsworth.
Fair enough my fellow Brit. You clearly have a different opinion on what the best combination for the NZ ATXI should look like so i wouldn't try to convince you otherwise.

But i would say i wouldn't pick Vettori in the best XI unless your playing in the sub-continent or on a genuiene turner. In historical NZ condtions, AUS, ENG, SA, WI would always go with an all seam attack for the Kiwis..

Midwinter

State Captain
While it was a while ago now

I always had the thought that Smith was probably the best keeper of his era.

A class act.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

NZ have been pretty gifted in the keeping department.
To be honest, think NZ have always had decent players. For mine, though, have just lacked someone or a couple of someones to land a knock-out punch when they're slightly on top or slightly behind. Bond, obv, just didn't play enough which is incredibly sad. their best side since the 80's was that one in the early 00's. They absolutely did not deserve to lose 0-3 to Aus in the middle of their winning streak, were probably the toughest opponent Aus faced in that entire period and considering how good the Pak side looked on paper, that's saying something.

GGG

State Captain
I voted smith as I believe he was better for longer however Parore in his last few years was as good a keeper as anyone I have seen.