• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season (2004)

chris.hinton

International Captain
With the cricket season only 83 days away i think we should have a thread about everything buliding up to the start like players moves, pre-season tours or just general chat.

can any of you wait for it

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
I am not sure if Worcestershire could stop in division for this season, We got Hall and Hayward but we need a good Bowler and a good Batsman to replace Singh, lets get Kevin Pietersen

Line up

Peters/Kadeer Ali
Solanki
Pietersen
Hick
Smith
Hall
Rhodes/Pipe
Batty
Kabir Ali
Hayward
New Bowler

Backup

Nadeem Malik, Leatherdale, Davies, Khalid

We need two batsman then

Warwickshire are after Gough but what about the so called promising bowlers they have spend a lot of time on
Warren (23), Mees (22), Tahir (20) and Wagg(20) need to get games next year

Warwick Xi could be this

Knight
Wagh
Bell
Troughton
Trott
Brown
Giles
Piper
Hogg
Carter
Gough

Its a weak fast bowling line up even with Darren Gough

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I heard Middlesex tried to hire both Kumble and Ashley Noffke.

But Noffke pulled out citing injury and Kumble looks unlikely to play.
So have they made offers to a couple of new players ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That seems a very strange one to me - wouldn't expect it to be true.

Mind you Gough and Caddick with the new ball wouldn't be too bad a pairing!

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Mind you Gough and Caddick with the new ball wouldn't be too bad a pairing!
Could and should have been the new ball pairing for England this coming tour of West Indies.:(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughie certainly (I don't doubt that he would be had he been brought back 2 Tests later than he was) but I wouldn't want to see Caddick risked if he wasn't fully fit - a recurrance now and that could be the end of his career.
If he just gets himself right he could have 2 years at least left as a top-level cricketer.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
wheres the best website other than cw to get english county results week after week guys

chris.hinton

International Captain
Gough has Signed for Essex... Becasue it is closer to his home which is a Good Decision

Warwickshire have dismissed caddick rumours but are interested in Allan Donald

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He'll be useful until he breaks down with injury.

Also, if he regains his England ODI spot (as hinted in the press) he'll be available for about half the season.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think the great one is still playing for Free State... but I dont think he would be much use at Warwickshire, only medium fast nowadays i guess..

Rich2001

International Captain
Kent are (and as normal :P) looking strong on paper and with transfers at Kent happening late on we could still be in for some late movments :D

Kent (As Currently Stands) For 2004 - Read it and weep lads :D

1. Alamgir Sheriyar
  2. Alex Loudon
  3. Amjad Khan
  4. Andrew Symonds
  5. Ben Trott
  6. David Fulton (c)
  7. David Stiff
  8. Ed Smith
  9. Geraint Jones
  10. James Tredwell
  11. Martin Saggers
  12. Matthew Dennington
  13. Matthew Walker
  14. Michael Carberry
  15. Min Patel
  16. Mohammad Sami
  17. Niall OBrien
  18. Robert Ferley
  19. Robert Key

I think that any 11 from that 19 would give you a damn good beatting so it's just a case of who the captain likes I guess ;)

Possible County Champ' Line Up?

1. Robert Key
  2. David Fulton (c)
  3. Ed Smith
  4. Andrew Symonds
  5. Matthew Walker
  6. Geraint Jones / Niall Obrien
  7. Amjad Khan
  8. James Tredwell
  9. David Stiff
  10. Martin Saggers
  11. Mohammad Sami

Iam still not convinced that Khan/Treadwell are really up to the All Rounders spots alone, they are both certianly handy with a bat but with Ealham @ 6 you was asured of 800/1000 runs a season and the batting just looked strong. Mind you on the plus side it will allow us to field one bowler as a AR and that would mean we have 5 front-line bowlers as we have always seemed to have problems bowling sides tails out.

We have Matthew Dennington who looks to be Ealham's replacment but he is certainly more a OD player IMO and I think he will find it very tough to get in ahead of Khan/Treaders/Stiff/Saggers/Sami in the four day game.

During the off season we have signed alot of bowlers (about 10 in the squads now) but batting seems to have been left a little thin on the ground, with just Michael Carberry, Alex Loudon and Niall OBrien as backup. ALL quality players mind, but just lack that experiance. With Key, Smith, Jones all going to be picked for England we could be in trouble come mid summer ;) :lol: :cool2:

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He'll be useful until he breaks down with injury.

Also, if he regains his England ODI spot (as hinted in the press) he'll be available for about half the season.
LOL you've changed your tune :P - You was raving about the guy when Warwicks stood a chance of getting him ;)

But I actually agree with the most part of what people are saying, he certianly isn't as good as he was and he was getting pasted in the domestic game last season (when he actually made it onto a field), but at the end of the day the guy is a fantastic bowler on his day and if he does find some form he will be a great addition to the Essex line up, I mean afterall they haven't got anyone as it is so it wont be hard to shine :P :D (Sorry halsey but it was to tempting)

One good thing for Essex though is that Gough will bring alot to the younger players, as Essex like alot have devloped very heavly in youth and Gough will be a great help to them.