• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shooting down on the foot!!

When i saw the schedule of India-Pak series, i couldn't stop myself from laughing. PCB are so stupid, they accepted the Indian demand of having the ODI series before the test matches which practically means suicide for Pak team!!

Why? because everyone knows that in OD Indian team is far better than Pak, so after a 5-0 thrashing (or maybe a 4-1) Pakistan team will be very down and won't be able to lift themselves for the test series.So whatever resistance one could have expected from Pak in test series would no longer be seen and as such even the test series could be a cake walk for Indians.
I say that also because after playing 5 ODI in a very short time Shoaib Akhter and M Sami would get unfit and would hardly be able to play the entire test series.Now consider Pak test team without those two, can they play a decent game without them?

Man this series would be a disaster for Pakistan

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am happy the one dayers will be held first because of a completely different reason. It will mean India has spent some more time in Pakistan and will be accustomed to the pressure a wee bit more. The Pakistanis do have talented one day players and I wouldnt write them totally of the series, specially coz mist Indian players r tourin Pakistan for the first time (all except Tendulkar infact). The pressure cooker situation of the one dayers may well mean India may collapse in a few one dayers.

But the players will face the conditions and will be better prepared to cope with the pressure of the tests after that. It is disappointing to see only a one day tour game apart from the one day internationals and test matches and no first class games before the test matches. I find it shocking and have never seen this happen.

Dont underestimate Pakistan. They play their best cricket against India. The more I think of it, the more I am sure it will be a fascinating and close test series with India winning atleast one test which too will be a historic first.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
ur logic is flawed
I can post a completely different argument in favor of pak benefiiting from one days first.

although its no surprise that poor PCB will do anything for tour to go ahead to make some money including accepting all BCCI demands.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
harry674 said:
ur logic is flawed
I can post a completely different argument in favor of pak benefiiting from one days first.

although its no surprise that poor PCB will do anything for tour to go ahead to make some money including accepting all BCCI demands.
How does Pakistan cricket team benefit from the one dayers being held first? Suppose they lose the first or first two one dayers on the trot, there would be much more immense pressure on them. Even Shoaib is feeling the grunt of the pressure by saying things like 'cricket is a team game' and it shouldnt be expected that only he will perform.

India on the other hand, even if they lose initially, it would all come down to the tests for them I feel.

Choora

State Regular
BCCI NEVER put a demand for onedayers to be played first, their only demand was the test shouldn't be played in Karachi and Lahore.

BCCI did however requested PCB to have the ODI series first and it was willingly accepted by PCB.However i don't see how the ODI series is going to effect the test series.

‘We have one, you have many match-winners’

Face it , Pakistan just doesn't stand a chance against India. Don't you see them panicking? recalling of jokers like Afridi and Naveed Lateef shows that Pak cricket is moving backward rather than forward.

here is an interview of former Pak test cricketer Ejaz, read this:

‘We have one, you have many match-winners’
Kadambari Murali
Patiala, 22 February

There's a certain buzz in the air as Ijaz Ahmed walks into the room at about half past eight in the evening. People have been waiting hours with visibly suppressed excitement for the Pakistani veterans to get here from the Wagah border, which they reportedly crossed some seven hours ago.

There, they were greeted and feted before they set off again. It had been a long drive for them, says Ijaz. They began their journey at 10am, pausing at the border and then, at Jalandhar, for namaaz.

"We're a more religious bunch than we were," Ijaz smiles as you seize the opening and ask him if there was a changing trend among Pakistani youth --- a renewed move towards faith. But what of the photographs we've seen of the whole team doing namaaz together when on tour --- photos we never saw a few years ago when Ijaz himself was part of a brilliant, temperamental, effervescent group.

He's not very comfortable with the question at first, then shrugs and grins. "Yes, I guess the youngsters in the team now are more religious then we were, more disciplined, a reflection of society. It helps them, this belief and faith."

And then he laughs again. "As for us, we had Saeed Anwar and Mushtaq (both have rediscovered religion) with us to keep us in the right frame of mind, so we prayed in Jalandhar before getting here."

But faith notwithstanding, like many others, Ijaz believes that this resurgent Indian team will hold the edge when the Test series begins, whether Pakistan have home advantage or not. "See, let me be clear. In our side, there's just one man who can change the course of a game --- Shoaib Akhtar. You have so many. This is a completely new India we are witnessing now, one that doesn't believe in falling apart. I've said this before and I'm saying it now. A few years back, we believed that if we got Tendulkar, half the team was gone. Now you have six Tendulkars in the squad."

According to Ijaz, most of Pakistan followed India's fortunes in Australia very keenly. "We all noted that Sachin didn't do much but it didn't seem to matter, someone else would keep coming up with an innings that mattered."

Pakistan, he says, are heavily dependent on Yousuf Youhana and Inzamam ul-Haq performing every time. But what of consistent performances by youngsters like Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed and Taufeeq Umar. "Well, they'll be tested now, won't they? The last three series in Pakistan, they played Bangladesh, a heavily depleted New Zealand team and a South Africa that was playing well under par. Against this Indian team, which has taken on the best in the world, it'll be much tougher. Even if you don't count the usual pressure of playing against India."

Pakistan is in the process of rebuilding, he says and they may have taken on more than they chew by dropping a host of seniors and blooding youngsters at the same time. "History has shown us that you need a mix of experience and youth to succeed. Look at Australia, Gilchrist had been fully groomed by the time they dropped Healy. Steve Waugh has retired and Michael Clarke will step into his shoes effortlessly."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who can deny the wisdom and patriotism of Ijaz ahmed, he is just one of majority of former Pak ex cricketers who says that India are clear fav's!!!

Whether India makes a whitewash in ODI or not, Test series is most likely to be a whitewsh.Pak should be better prepared!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: ‘We have one, you have many match-winners’

ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Face it , Pakistan just doesn't stand a chance against India.
Fortunately most people don't share this view, and realise that it will be a very tight series.

As for side matches - too much International Cricket in too short a time means teams don't get time to acclimatise any more.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jono said:
Post it then.
jeez give me a break!

ok here is one (i can post hundred more for both sides of argument)

given pak (only?) strength is bowling , having test matches before ODI would have exposed them injuries ,fatigue before ODI matches. but now with ODI before Test matces they are gonna come hard in ODI and even in process they get
fatigued or something they can always draw the test series.

Choora

State Regular
I was just wondering as to what wll Pak cricket board do if Pak loses the OD series (most likely)??

Noone likes to lose at home ground, especially when you are playing against old foes:saint: .After losing the OD series Pak board might get defensive and prepare batting tracks for the test series, and that will become a headace for Indian bowlers, because of lifeless pitches it will become near impossible for Indian bowlers to get 20 Pak wickets.

Swervy

International Captain
Choora said:
I was just wondering as to what wll Pak cricket board do if Pak loses the OD series (most likely)??

Noone likes to lose at home ground, especially when you are playing against old foes:saint: .After losing the OD series Pak board might get defensive and prepare batting tracks for the test series, and that will become a headace for Indian bowlers, because of lifeless pitches it will become near impossible for Indian bowlers to get 20 Pak wickets.
one of the perks of playing at home..just got to deal with it

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
harry674 said:
given pak (only?) strength is bowling , having test matches before ODI would have exposed them injuries ,fatigue before ODI matches. but now with ODI before Test matces they are gonna come hard in ODI and even in process they get
fatigued or something they can always draw the test series.
Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that.

i dont care besides i was making different point that odi first is not necessarily gonna help india, nobody knows. test matches first would have help india to settle down before ODI.