• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin - past his best?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Do you ppl think Sachin Tendulkar is past his prime? Sometimes I think so. I'm not sure if he can be what he used to be again. He's still good but I can certainly note the differences. Throughout the last decade, he excelled but I feel that 14 years of cricket has taken its toll on his body though he is still just 30. I remember in ODIs, he never used to think twice about taking the aerial route but nowadays, its very rare to see him hit a six. I remeber his SR used to be around 89 and now its 86.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well regrettably i have never seen the great man play a storming innings his prime.. but he does appear to have already had his best... Still pretty good though!

The future for me is all about Dravid and Laxman....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar has some classy test innings due in his carrer IMO.. the best will come in the next 2 years n after that he will be past his prime..

Bouncer

State Regular
This was claimed by Saeed anwar last week and i was really surprised at that. i really hope that Pak tour brings some thing special from him.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's too hard to say at the moment. Things didn't really go his way in Australia, yet he still scored well, and of course managed that tremendous double century. Another couple of average series and I might start wondering.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He is recovering from his biggest slump yet. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he is past his best. If he can hit 301* in a single test against Australia in Australia while he is off-form, what he showed us was that it is way too early to write him off.....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I see people's point of view when they say this, but I just don't think its so. He scores his highest score ever in a test match this year, and in the first ODI it took a freak catch from Ponting to dismiss him because I have no doubt in my mind he was going to score a big 100 in that match. Although he doesn't hook as much as I think he used to, I feel he's got plenty left in him.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think there are alot of thing's on his mind ATM.

He is just not the same attacking player he used to be.
I mean I would be shocked to see him go out and smash a 100
with five or so sixes off about 80 balls even against one of the weeker teams. He could have done that easly in his prime.

He is much more deffensive these days and plays more of an ancor role in ODI's and tests.

He usued to be a far more attractive player to watch as well IMO his shots just dont seem to be hit as hard or with as much timing and he is playing with a smaller range of strokes as well.

I dont like this he is maturing with age crap because IMO he was much better when he was more aggresive.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
if he continues to play this mediocre cricket he is playing now its better bcci gives chance to some youngster who might get the job done.

also it will be intresting to see how he plays cricket when there is hush-hush tallk of his form i think this something which he never faced.

< Quote Hmmmmm maybe the added pressure of carrying a nation is starting to effect him. >

if u think about it he should have less pressure now when there are 6 tendulkars in the team but his performance is going down and down.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
harry674 said:
if he continues to play this mediocre cricket he is playing now its better bcci gives chance to some youngster who might get the job done.
The chances of Tendulkar ever being dropped will like that of Salim Malik playing Test cricket again.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
The chances of Tendulkar ever being dropped will like that of Salim Malik playing Test cricket again.

true but weird it only happens in cricket

think about it a guy out of form has reserved spot for another probably 9-10 years. probably some indian who could have got world cup would be sitting and hoping he makes it to team XI.

Craig

World Traveller
Unfortunatly there isnt a spot that no other Indian can force his way into other then Akash Chopra's spot.

Other then injury, no.s 3-6 pick themselves. The only way Ganguly is going to get dropped as if he loses the captaincy. And I doubt they would take it off him.

deeps

International 12th Man
chopra's spot is safe...he is a main reason for india's succes..he protected the middle order from the new ball...they will NOT drop him on his current form..i bet my life on it

masterblaster

International Captain
deeps said:
chopra's spot is safe...he is a main reason for india's succes..he protected the middle order from the new ball...they will NOT drop him on his current form..i bet my life on it
Agreed

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Sachin is past his best,but is still good enough to play for India fo along time.

I haven't seen the youthful aggressive Sachin of the past since along time, i really miss that.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
he's worth a hell of a lot more than the runs he scores. the man's got a cricketing mind -- honestly, I think he's a second captain on the field, and probably more of a strategist than Ganguly is.

And remember what he did to Warne? That wasn't too long ago. I still think he will be the best batsman since Bradman by the time he's done, which is a good 6-7 years from now.

For chrissakes, you're talking about the man of the tournament in world cup 2003. you'd drop him?

If anything, all this "is he past his prime" talk is more indicative of what people expect from him, and less of his form.

I don't know if people care about stats, but here goes -- total tests, followed by last 10 tests, last 20 tests, last 30 tests.

unfiltered 111 9265 241* 57.19 32 37 31 3/10 47.12 0 71 0
filtered 10 825 241* 51.56 2 3 4 2/36 68.50 0 5 0
filtered 20 1592 241* 51.35 4 7 6 2/36 74.66 0 9 0
filtered 30 2688 241* 58.43 8 11 9 2/36 77.88 0 15 0

Hell, I'd pick any player averaging 51.56 in a slump...

He's class, he's having a rough patch.(301* was a scratchy innings
:rolleyes:) End of story.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Hmmmmm maybe the added pressure of carrying a nation is starting to effect him.
Nah, no way - there's far less pressure on him now than there ever has been.
If anything, it might be the opposite - he's needed less, so his performance is noted less?
He's got Dravid and Laxman either side of him, who ave averaging in the 60s in the last 3 years. He's got Ganguly and Sehwag, too.
And to all those who say he's not as aggressive as he used to be - he doesn't need to. There's someone else who plays the way he used to - Sehwag.
If Tendulkar is past his best (and I don't see anything in his average to suggest he is) then he's still better than everyone else anyway.
He's got plenty of time left in him yet and I will be surprised if he fails to set a record for Test runs, centuries and ODI runs, centuries that will take about 100 years to beat.
Still doesn't mean I think he's the best since Bradman, but certainly the most durable ever. Waugh holds that ATM, but probably not by the end of Sachin's career.

masterblaster

International Captain
Vroomfondel said:
he's worth a hell of a lot more than the runs he scores. the man's got a cricketing mind -- honestly, I think he's a second captain on the field, and probably more of a strategist than Ganguly is.

And remember what he did to Warne? That wasn't too long ago. I still think he will be the best batsman since Bradman by the time he's done, which is a good 6-7 years from now.

For chrissakes, you're talking about the man of the tournament in world cup 2003. you'd drop him?

If anything, all this "is he past his prime" talk is more indicative of what people expect from him, and less of his form.

I don't know if people care about stats, but here goes -- total tests, followed by last 10 tests, last 20 tests, last 30 tests.

unfiltered 111 9265 241* 57.19 32 37 31 3/10 47.12 0 71 0
filtered 10 825 241* 51.56 2 3 4 2/36 68.50 0 5 0
filtered 20 1592 241* 51.35 4 7 6 2/36 74.66 0 9 0
filtered 30 2688 241* 58.43 8 11 9 2/36 77.88 0 15 0

Hell, I'd pick any player averaging 51.56 in a slump...

He's class, he's having a rough patch.(301* was a scratchy innings
:rolleyes :) End of story.
Exactly right mate,

Exactly right.