• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC - New Recommendations for the Game

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1) Interesting - reminds me of Mashud taking out both sets of stumps tonight
2) Why?
3) No, no, no
4) Intruiging
5) Go for it

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
These ar the ICC recommendations and why they suck :-

Allow the batting team to nominate the 15 overs in which fielding restrictions for one-day games would apply. The overs would not have to be bowled consecutively

Make it more confusing than any one to ever get to understand one day cricket again. So overs number 4, 17, 29,24 will have field restrictions. Thats great for the over rate.

Select 12 players for each game, with only 11 batting and fielding

Making further chance for less desrving players get to play one day cricket. 11 is a great number and it always makes you think whether to play tha all rounder, extra batsman or bowler. It should NEVER be changed.

Disallow overthrows resulting from the ball hitting the batsman, and only allowing overthrows when the ball hits the stumps

People should be penalised for inaccurate throws. Even thinking this one shows the ICC has truly gone to the dogs..

Allow a baseball-style "double play", in which the ball remains live after the dismissal of a batsman, allowing the other batsman also to be dismissed during the same phase of play

haha.. comedy movies and a lot more Pakistani run outs because of inzy.. making the oen day game more of a joke.

If there is some thing which needs to change in one ay cricket is the nature of pitches. 300+ scores made with no encouragement to the bowlers is deploring. I would rather have more low scoring exciting matches like the Bangladesh vs West Indies one dayer where the Windies won by a wicket.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
The option to choose when the 15 over fielding restrictions can take place only sounds good IMO if the overs were bowled in a block (ie. 25th to the 39th over).

It should always be 11 per side. Here in our Australian Domestic One Day competition for the past few seasons, they had experimented with 12 per side (11 bat, 11 field). I never liked it and thankfully when the 2003/04 season came around, they decided to scrape the idea.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
1) Should have been implimented years ago.
2) Batsmen rarely run another run if the ball hits them, so its only if the ball went for 4 after would it count, hardly ever happens to make that much diff tbh
3) Hahahahahahahaha i wonder what they were smoking when they came up with that idea.
4) Interesting, but i have a feeling you'd just have 2 years of teams experimenting which 15 to pick and in the end it will become obvious that theres a certain time that is the best and every team will then go with that all the time and you'd be back to the same position we are now. I've always like the idea of allowing 1 man outside the circle every 10 overs till the end of the game.
5) About time too, imo 10 overs a side should be allowed to count as a game like in the National League. Surely that is better than having a no result.

a massive zebra

International Captain
They are all a disgrace. Some mind-bogglingly stupid ideas as usual from the ICC. People should stop trying to change things the game is fine as it is and must not be destroyed with outrageous suggestions like that. The only change I would make would be to scrap the mindless 20/20 slog.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
a massive zebra said:
They are all a disgrace. Some mind-bogglingly stupid ideas as usual from the ICC. People should stop trying to change things the game is fine as it is and must not be destroyed with outrageous suggestions like that. The only change I would make would be to scrap the mindless 20/20 slog.
That mindless 20/20 slog made most counties finish the year in the black instead of finish in debt.
8-)

Sudeep

International Captain
1) No
2) Yes, but already put into practice by the players.
3) Absolutely Not
4) Yes, only if it's a period of 15 overs that the batting side has to choose, i.e first 15, or 10-25 or 35-50, something like that.
5) Yes, worth thinking about.

Last edited:

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
The main problem in choosing which overs for the fieling restrictions to apply is that the game can become a slaughterfest.

Teams who score a good total in the first innings can somehow loose the game with batsman slogging it willy-nilly with the fielding restrictions in place in the last overs. It increases the lottery aspect of the game, and would GREATLY advantage the team batting second.

Also batting teams could apply the restrictions to certain bowlers (ie. disadvantaging spin bowlers who are dangerous, like Shane Warne, or part-time bowlers).

Sudeep

International Captain
meatspx said:
Also batting teams could apply the restrictions to certain bowlers (ie. disadvantaging spin bowlers who are dangerous, like Shane Warne, or part-time bowlers).
Most notable point.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
And while we're at it, let's get rid of one-day games too.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As far as fielding restrictions go I think it should be one more man out per 10 overs. It would go like this:

1-10 (1 man out)
11-20 (2 men out)
21-30 (3 men out)
etc.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
As far as fielding restrictions go I think it should be one more man out per 10 overs. It would go like this:

1-10 (1 man out)
11-20 (2 men out)
21-30 (3 men out)
etc.
thats not going to make the game any more exciting.....
1) sounds good because id love to see 2 wickets fall in one ball, you can imagine what a turn around that would be in a thriller chasing scenario. the rest are unnecessary or i dont give a **** about them

chicane

State Captain
Mister Wright said:

1-10 (1 man out)
11-20 (2 men out)
21-30 (3 men out)
etc.
That will make it worse for the bowlers.

Loony BoB

International Captain
1) Double-plays? Hmm, could be interesting, I have to admit. I'm not against it.
2) Well, I guess if it hits the player and he whacks it away for four, that's kind of unfair. I suppose this is just covering for "intentional accidents" as some people call them. It won't hurt the game to make that change.
3) Now that's just silly.
4) I'm against this one, too. Because there are ODI openers all over the world who have been given their positions because they know how to penetrate the infield and get the boundaries, and this is taking all their hard work and flushing it down the toilet. This will, quite bluntly, change the entire ODI game strategy for every single player in every single team at every single level. I'm all for change, but not that much change. Maybe they should do things one bit at a time, for example, allowing the block of 15 overs to be moveable rather than just slotting them in one over at a time.
5) No harm in that one.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you want to make the one-day game more exciting, just have more wickets like at Amos Vale.

Memo to ICC: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

V Reddy

International Debutant
1) I am neither in favour nor against it
2) Yes , it's better to make a rule now than repent not making it after a huge controversy breaks out like the under-arm bowling
3) No
4) I am in favour of it but there should be a minimum of 5 overs at a stretch
5) Yes