• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Screw the pitch, the guy will get out again fetching something outside off stump, again. And it's not like Gambhir isn't a batsman either. Gambhir deserved a spot in the side, Sehwag deserves to be in India.
Just like he chases balls on slow pitches all the time right?

Wait hang on, he's got hundreds, double hundreds and even a triple hundred on pitches like these.

Look, I feel for Gambhir, and Sehwag may well fail in this test in both innings, but you have to look at it from their view. That middle order looks very good, Sehwag coming in when the ball is old could be deadly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am almost afraid to say this - but this pitch looks Indian. Who is the groundskeeper, we need to send him a thank you card.

Dravid

International Captain
Just like he chases balls on slow pitches all the time right?

Wait hang on, he's got hundreds, double hundreds and even a triple hundred on pitches like these.

Look, I feel for Gambhir, and Sehwag may well fail in this test in both innings, but you have to look at it from their view. That middle order looks very good, Sehwag coming in when the ball is old could be deadly.
But your talking like Gambhir isn't a good batsman for these kind of pitches. He just came out of domestic Cricket in the form of his life.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They just need to go to lunch unscathed. The commentators are talking about run rate, but 2.57 is a perfectly acceptable run rate at this point.

adharcric

International Coach
But your talking like Gambhir isn't a good batsman for these kind of pitches. He just came out of domestic Cricket in the form of his life.
Sehwag is more proven than Gambhir at the highest level. I'm a huge Gambhir fan, but Sehwag is a key member of the Indian test side and he has a good chance of getting back into form on such a pitch. That said, Karthik having a good technique probably helped them make the decision to retain Sehwag.

Dravid

International Captain
If Sehwag doesn't do anything here today, and still manages to be a part of the team in the next tour, I will be very disappointed in the selectors.

adharcric

International Coach
Before this test, we've had opening partnerships of 14, 20, 5 and 14 ... for a grand total of 53.

That's right, we've just eclipsed that in one innings. Dire stuff in the first two tests. :blink:

adharcric

International Coach
If Sehwag doesn't do anything here today, and still manages to be a part of the team in the next tour, I will be very disappointed in the selectors.
The next tour is in England and that is several months away. We have a Ranji Trophy match, 8 ODIs and the World Cup before then.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, RR is fine IMO. Now that you got through a session, you can start opening up. Not too much, an RR of about 3-3.5 is fine the rest of the day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Before this test, we've had opening partnerships of 14, 20, 5 and 14 ... for a grand total of 53.

That's right, we've just eclipsed that in one innings. Dire stuff in the first two tests. :blink:
Whilst India's opening partnerships were crap, surely the pitch must be taken into account.

But still, LOL @ Karthik already facing more balls and being out in the middle for a longer time in this one innings than Sehwag was in all his 4 innings combined. :lol:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Or maybe not. Could he be a decent SA spinner, at last?
Those flighted balls to Karthik were good, but nothing too threatening at the moment. Mind you only day 1, but still, unless (as Cricinfo pointed out) India repeat their stupidity against left arm spinners, I fancy Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly against him until the pitch does more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Those flighted balls to Karthik were good, but nothing too threatening at the moment. Mind you only day 1, but still, unless (as Cricinfo pointed out) India repeat their stupidity against left arm spinners, I fancy Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly against him until the pitch does more.
Good thing about SA is that they've got four bowlers outside of Harris. So even if he gets taken off, they've got enough to just field an all pace attack.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith must be ropable with the groundsman - this pitch is absoutely made to order for the Indians.

Anyway, both batted OK in the face of largely unthreatening bowling

However, unless it breaks up, they'll need plenty