• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Gibbs Ban Thread

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Its ruining the pakistan vs south africa thread so we should discuss it here
im continuing it here

i dont see why this should be a special case for gibbs cos the crowd pissed him off

nearly every other player gets abuse from the crowd and if noone else retaliates then gibbs should be able to ignore it too

if you want the yobs to apologise then why not round every crowd member who has abused players in history to apologise?

should FIFA allow a liverpool football player to jump in the crowd and kick the **** out of an everton fan for abusing him?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Graeme Smith got Shoaib banned for saying '**** off'. That punishment was for one game. For consistency's sake, this one should have been the same (though maybe its 1 game for every instance of '****'. :laugh:)

pasag

RTDAS
How was it ruining the other thread? People discussed it, said their piece and it's more or less over.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
How was it ruining the other thread? People discussed it, said their piece and it's more or less over.
well its a entirely different topic

that thread should be used for match talk only and something to do with the series

this deserves its own thread

pasag

RTDAS
well its a entirely different topic

that thread should be used for match talk only and something to do with the series

this deserves its own thread
Not after it's been discussed at length in the other one it doesn't.

pasag

RTDAS
Anyways, since you made the topic, perhaps you could explain this statement you made in the other thread.

well the fans hitting ntini in the head with a flag aint been proved,

if it was true we would have seen a much moe bigger deal being made out of it

smith is making excuses and everyone in the world knwos how much of a racist smith himself is

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which one's banned?

Well given that Maurice died 5 years ago it can't be him...

EDIT: gotta :laugh: at the shirts... man, that disco stuff was strange...

And maybe Barry should be banned for allowing Barbra Streisand to have a career...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
smith is making excuses and everyone in the world knwos how much of a racist smith himself is
Bull**** do they.

Smith was cleared of racially abusing Bravo and everyone with any sense realised "you slack ****ers" was mis-heard by Hinds as "you black ****ers".

PY

International Coach
Yeah, he may be a turd personality-wise but I've not seen or heard everyone in the world going on about him being racist.

The old chestnut of no proof that it wasn't 'black' = rubbish as PF mentions, burden of proof lies with the accuser.

archie mac

International Coach
They had Smtih wired up for the 20/20 match V Aust in OZ last season, and he came across as quite a nice, charming person. Still it did not make me watch all of that crap match known as 20/20 :@

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Herschelle's dad slams ICC by Christo Buchner

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 22:49

The International Cricket Council are a bunch of weak-kneed administrators who want to cover up for their mistakes of the past by making an example of Herschelle Gibbs.

This scathing comment comes from Herman Gibbs, father of the South African batsman who has been suspended for two Tests by cricket's governing body.

Gibbs jnr was banned after the first Test in Centurion for referring to Pakistani supporters, who had abused him and his teammates, as "f...... animals".

Gibbs has appealed against the suspension and Justice Mervyn King has postponed Cricket SA's disciplinary hearing until the completion of the ICC's appeal procedure.

Herman Gibbs did not mince his words on Tuesday when he commented on his son's suspension.

"There are a bunch of incorrigible old men in the ICC. They were unable to do anything about match fixing and are too afraid to tackle any controversial matter properly.

"Just think about how they looked away when the South African players were the victims of racist remarks in Australia last year. Why did they not act then?

"Malcolm Speed (CEO of the ICC, who laid the charge against Gibbs) seems to have a vendetta against South African cricket and Herschelle is now a convenient stick for him to hit out with (at the SA team)."

Gibbs snr also accused Pakistan Cricket Board members of being a bunch of opportunists.

"They now want to be holy and hang Herschelle, but they allow two of their players (Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif) to play, even though they know they have used performance enhancers.

"What is worse," Gibbs asked, "what Herschelle did after he and his teammates were subjected to racism, or to field players whose performances have been influenced by drugs?"

"I just hope the Pakistanis do not bring their supporters to Cape Town, because we don't want them here," he said, referring to the third Test to be played at Newlands.

"To describe Herschelle as a racist, is laughable; it makes me angry. My children attended non-racial schools when most of their contemporaries were still in one-race schools. If there's one thing Herschelle is not, it's a racist."

Gibbs snr admitted that it was risky for his son to appeal against the suspension.

Brian Basson, of Cricket SA, on Tuesday explained that, after Gibbs had lodged his appeal, the ICC had 48 hours to appoint an appeals commissioner.

This opened the door for Gibbs to play in the second Test, which starts in Port Elizabeth on Friday.

If the appeals commissioner decides to extend the suspension, increasing it to more than two Tests and to include one-day internationals, Gibbs's participation in the World Cup tournament starting next month could be in doubt.

Chris Broad, who chaired the ICC hearing on Monday, decided on a two-Test suspension, but Gibbs could be worse off after an appeal hearing

archie mac

International Coach
I have not heard too many people call his son a racist, just that the comments were inappropriate.

Agree re-drugs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Gibbs' dad talking about match fixing.
"I just hope the Pakistanis do not bring their supporters to Cape Town, because we don't want them here," he said, referring to the third Test to be played at Newlands.
We? Them? Nah this has nothing to do with nationality and ethnicity at all 8-)

Herman is an :cool: name though.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  • I don't think the comment was meant as racist.
  • I think the punishment should have been 1 game - same as Shoaib got when he said '**** off' to Graeme.
  • I second the LOL @ Gibbs father commenting about match fixing

gunner

U19 Cricketer
interesting coments by gibbs senior

one of the pakistanis should say the same thing in september

dont bring any of yuor people to pakistan or world cup 2011