• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing selector: Lets pick the best test XI of different eras

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
During 1920-39, Frank Woolley played 42 tests and only took 44 wkts @ 43 so I didn't include him as an allrounder.
Ah fair enough, I was thinking of his career average. Didn't realise that his bowling declined to that extent after the war.

Maybe we don't need to put a statistical limitation on these things? Obviously note their stats when they are up for nomination, but perhaps a mininum average is unnecessary? It's not always all about the stats, and if a bloke has ordinary averages then people will see that in the nomination and just not vote for him. Stats or not, if we have to have an all rounder I'd always pick FE Woolley over a Robins or a Nichols, despite what the averages might say.

Just my two cents though. Whatever the final outcome I'll be voting with bells on. :)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Wicketkeepers for 1920-39 XI will be as follows:

Bert Oldfield (Aus), George Duckworth (Eng), Les Ames (Eng), Jock Cameron (SA)

[Another one that hardly needs a poll]

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
[Another one that hardly needs a poll]
You think? I assume you're taking Ames as a shoo-in there, but I reckon it's tight between Ames, Oldfield and Cameron for that one. Ames clearly the best bat of the three, but there's enough statistical and/or anecdotal evidence to suggest that as glovemen the other two are at least his equal.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Okay, final nominees for the 1920-39 XI:

Pace Bowlers (average < 32.00)

Gubby Allen (Eng), Bill Bowes (Eng), Learie Constantine (WI), Jack Gregory (Aus), Herman Griffith (WI), Ken Farnes (Eng), George Geary (Eng), Harold Larwood (Eng), Eddie McCormick (Aus), Maurice Tate (Eng), Bill Voce (Eng)

Spinners (average < 35.00)

Tich Freeman (Eng), Clarrie Grimmett (Aus), Bert Ironmonger (Aus), Arthur Mailey (Aus), Quintin McMillan (SA), Bill O'Reilly (Aus), Ian Peebles (Eng), Hedley Verity (Eng), Cyril Vincent (SA), Jack White (Eng)

aussie tragic

International Captain

aussie tragic

International Captain
As the 1920-39 team is coming to a close, there's just the captain poll to go. Currently, this will be between Bradman and Hammond as the only two selected players that have won a test as captain of thier country during the period.

The 1920-39 World Test XI so far:

1. Jack Hobbs (56.63)
2. Herb Sutcliffe (60.73)
3. Don Bradman (97.94)
4. Wally Hammond (61.45) and (Bowl: 37.77)
5. George Headley (66.75)
6. Stan McCabe (48.21)
7. Les Ames (43.40)
8. Harold Larwood (19.40) and (Bowl: 28.35)
9. Bill Voce or Hedley Verity -------------------- Poll still running http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=21933
10. Clarrie Grimmett -------------------------------- Poll still running
11. Bill O'Reilly (12.81) and (Bowl: 23.68)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
You would think Bradman in a canter, do we really need a poll for this?
I agree that a Poll is unnecessary, however not so sure that Bradman will win in a canter....so let's do it here.

Please select the captain for the 1920-39 World Test XI:

Don Bradman: 9 tests, 4 Wins (44%), 3 Losses (33%), 2 Draws (22%)
Wally Hammond: 12 Tests, 3 Wins (25%), 1 Loss (8%), 8 Draws (67%)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Hammond

Because he only lost 1 of 12 tests, whereas Bradman lost 3 of 9 whilst he had a core of "greats" in Bradman, McCabe, Oldfield and O'Reilly in the side....

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hammond for me too, not sure how great bradman was as captain, by all accounts was often biased against certain individuals.

archie mac

International Coach
Bradman for me, they clashed in 1938 when Bradman had a poor unbalanced attack and in 1946/47 when Bradman won easily.

O'Reilly was his number one bowler and was no fan of Bradman, he never mentions that he thought Bradman favoured non Catholics. I think the Don was all about winning.

Those captained by Hammond were unimpressed especially on the 1946/47 tour, most rating him the worst Test captain they played under.